Friday, October 15, 2021

Today On The Boulevard: Hot Wheels & Matchbox - Two Sets Two Vehicles Total

Hello, and welcome to a new edition of Today On The Boulevard. Sometimes, being persistent doesn't yield results when trying to find a certain diecast release. Diecast hunting is just hard, and I guess it's always been that way. That's why I've decided to have a certain mentality with this hobby. In other words, if I need to, I will gladly give up on a specific release. That's right, I'll take a pen a scratch the release off of my want list. Doing so keeps this hobby fun for me.

Throughout any given year, both of Mattel's diecast brands will release special store exclusive sets. The releases in these sets are usually the ones that get scratched off of my want list. In fact, I really only put them on my list so I can remember them. It's not always easy to remember all of the great releases that come out each year. Anyway, earlier this year, both of Mattel's diecast brands released sets that went to Walmart.  

A pickup truck set was the one that Hot Wheels released, while a Cadillac set was the one Matchbox released. The latter was the only one that never made it to the pegs in my area. Fortunately, that wasn't the case with the pickup set. In case you didn't know, I was able to find three of the releases from it. So feel free to check out that post. A few weeks after that pickup truck post, I was able to come across some remnants of these two sets. Both of the ones I got came from two different Walmart locations. With that said, let's start with the one from the first location.

At the end of the aforementioned post, I decided to briefly talk about the remaining two trucks I couldn't find. What I said, was that the two weren't releases that made me say wow. I also said that the only other one I'd really get, was the Mazda Repu due to the yellow that was picked for it's exterior. Well, as you saw from my Tweet, the Mazda Repu is the one I was able to finally find. 


The exterior color is still the main reason why I like this release. I know there could be a future release that's also yellow, but it could feature a design that's wild. While there's nothing wrong with that, I do like having a brightly colored one that's not overly decorated. Of course, this could end up being the only yellow release. So I'm happy it was overshadowed by the 620 when more of these came in. 



After I found the Mazda, I figured I'd try my luck at another location. I mean, I still didn't care too much for the Datdun 620, but I figured why not try to get it for a post. Well, the second location didn't have any of the pickup set, but they did have two different releases from the Matchbox Cadillac set. So I decided to just get the '55 Cadillac Fleetwood, which between the two that were left, was the one I was the most interested in.


Besides being interested in it, this was another one of the castings that I wanted to have more of. Since I wasn't always into Matchbox, I missed out on this casting's regular releases. Fortunately, Matchbox has started to use it again, which is why the pink 2019 release was the only one I had prior to this one. Now, I have no issue with that one, since pink isn't a color that's used as much. But I think you imagine how happy I was to see a blue one. 


I should also mention that I like how they decided to once again give this casting an Arizona plate, and what's great, is that it isn't the same text as the pink release.


Although I didn't find full assortments, I have to say that this was a successful diecast hunt. Something is always better than nothing. And that's especially true when your able to come across releases you gave up on.

So, have you found any of the releases that you once had on your want list, but gave up on? Go ahead and let me know down in the comments section. Okay, that's all for this edition of Today On The Boulevard. Till next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting. And remember, these are just toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment