Monday, July 26, 2021

2021 Hot Wheels Pickup Truck Set - The Obvious Three

Hi everyone, welcome to today's post. Not too long ago, Hot Wheels released a Walmart exclusive pickup truck themed set. I don't know the exact release date of these, but what I do know, is that I came across one remnant last month. At the time, I decided to leave it behind since it was only one, and I figured that I'd wait to see if I could find some of the other ones. As usual, it took some time, but I was finally able to find more. As you can see from the title, there were only three different ones left on the pegs. Those three, are what's being talked about in today's post. 

Now, before I share my opinion of the three that I got, I feel the need to briefly talk about the other two I couldn't get. As you know, this set features a Datsun 620 and a Mazda REPU. I've seen pictures of them, and to be honest, they really aren't releases that make me say wow. I know for a fact that I'm in the minority with that opinion. I mean... they aren't terrible, but I feel they were only taken because they are JDM castings. This is confirmed by the fact that it looked like my local Walmart got about four boxes of this set, and they were the only ones taken. Now that I got that out of the way, let's get to the three I got.

It's worth mentioning that two of the three I got, are ones I really wanted. So I'm going to talk about them first, then I'll talk about the third one. 

This might be surprising to some, but the one I wanted the most, was the Land Rover Series III Pickup. For me, it all came down to one main design choice made for it. That choice, is none other than the exterior color. When I first saw pictures of it, I thought it was finished in a dark brown, however, that's not the case. I would best describe the color as being a dark metallic maroon, and I think it makes this Range Rover look really good.   

Although it's not one of the design choices that made me want it, the stripe design and it's colors are not bad. White and beige, are two colors that combine nicely with this maroon. The size and placement of the Range Rover decal, is the one thing I would have done differently. Instead of making it big, I would have made it small and placed it over the white section of the design that's next to the wheel arch. At the end of the day though, the decal's placement doesn't ruin the look of this release.

Okay, the next one I really wanted from this set, is the '65 Ford Ranchero. The design choices made for this release, aren't the only reason why I wanted it so bad. This casting made it's debut in the mainline back in 2011, and so far, it's only had two more mainline releases after that first one. What's sad, is that they mostly use this casting for special sets. That's why I only had three other releases of it before this one. So I'm really glad this is one of the ones that wasn't wanted when the stock came in. . 


I really like how decorated this release is, and it's great how they decided to add a tampo to the roof, as well as the bed cover section. It's also cool how they decided to add a green pinstripe design to the black stripes.

The exterior color is definitely one of the other reasons why I wanted this one so bad. The second time this casting was used in the mainline, was back in 2012. That year, Hot Wheels decided to make it a Treasure Hunt. Like this release, it too was finished in green. The green used for this one is obviously different, but it's still green nonetheless. So this release made it so I don't have to try and get the Treasure Hunt off of Ebay. 

The Custom '72 Chevy Luv, is the third one that was left behind. You might be wondering why I got it if it wasn't one of the ones I really wanted. Well, the reason I got it, is because it's finished in blue. I know this isn't the fist time this casting was finished in blue, however, it is the first blue one in my collection. 


In my Car Culture Power Trip review, I said that I look forward to a Chevy LUV releases. At the time, I was happy with how they were given multi-colored stripe designs. Well, now my opinion of them is starting to change. Basically, I feel this release's design is a little too similar to the 2019 release. In my opinion, they should have created a different type of design for this release. As you know, this isn't a stock LUV. So, instead of making another stripe design, I would have created a cool drag racing design that featured some real-life sponsor decals. To be fair, this release's design isn't terrible, I just feel it's time for something a little different. 

Before I end this post, I want to briefly talk about the other two one last time. In all honesty, the Mazda REPU is the only other one I'd get, and that's simply because of the yellow that was picked for it's exterior color. The Datsun 620 could have honestly been better. Now, if I do happen to find them, I will get them. But like I said, they aren't releases that make me say wow. So I'm not going to make finding them a priority.

Alright, were you able to add the entire set to your collection? Feel free to let me know down in the comments section. Well, that's all for this edition of Today On The Boulevard. Till next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment