Saturday, March 13, 2021

Today on the Boulevard: Hot Wheels Case D Target Red Editions

Hello and welcome to another edition Today on the Boulevard. As you might know, I don't really care too much for store exclusives. But when I'm able to find them, I will gladly showcase them on the boulevard. Now sometimes I'm only able to find a specific one, while other times I'm able to acquire all three. And this was one of those times where I was able to get all three. So with that being said, let's get this show on the road.

So as you all know, this is the fifth year of Red Editions. As such, Hot Wheels decided to add a cool little additional "RE5" tampo to each of these models. Personally, I think they should continue to at least use "RE" for all future Red Edition releases. I mean... the Super Treasure Hunts have a special tampo detail. So why not do something similar for these. 

Alright, so the first Red Edition for today's post, is the Triumph TR6. For those of you that read part 2 of my 2021 case A want list, then you'd know that this was one of the castings that I was happy to see, and get. And now I'm even happier with the fact that I was able to get this version. Even though these are "Red Editions," I think it was a cool idea to make this release black with red stripes.  

The color scheme isn't the only thing I like about this one. I also like the choices made for the design. If you take a look at the green release, then you'll notice how the stripes on it's sides have a gold outline. Now for some reason, the decision was made to not make the top stripes have this outline. Thankfully, that isn't an issue with this release. The side stripes, as well as the tops stripes, are red with no outline. In my opinion, this is a much neater design.

For it's wheels, the choice was made to once again use the DD8s, and I have no issue with this. Like the green release, these too were given a colored rim to match the design.

The "RE5" on this release is located on it's sides just after the rear wheel arch. 


The next one Red Edition from this case, is the '32 Ford. Now as you know, this year's release of this hot rod features an Uno theme. I honestly wasn't too into the design featured on the initial release, however, I actually very much like this one. The cards along the sides on the initial release, are the main reason why I wasn't too into it. Thankfully, the Hot Wheels designers chose to go down a different road with this Red Edition version.

So unlike the first release that had a bunch of UNO cards along it's sides, the decision was made to make the sides of  this release look like the red number 1 card itself. So it features the number 1 within a circle. "UNO" was placed next to it just after the doors. I honestly like this design way better, and if I was going to build an  UNO themed '32 Ford, this is definitely the design I would use. 

The "RE5" on this release was placed just after the side window. They could have chose to put this detail on the trunk, but I think it was a cool idea to utilize this section of this car's body.

Like the initial release, the trunk of this one was given a detail. The first release's trunk was given the wild card, while this one was given "UNO." I actually like this trunk detail better.

The RSW wheels were one of the things that I liked about the initial release. Thankfully, the designers chose to use them again for this release. Now unlike the the first release that has chrome wheels, this one has black wheels with a white rim. I don't know about you, but I think this is an okay wheel color for this model. 


The Toyota Off-Road Truck is the last of the three Red Editions from this year's case D. I'm actually glad I was able to score this one. You know how Santa makes his list, and checks it twice? Well I most certainly didn't check my list twice, as I forgot that I wanted to get the initial release of this truck. For those of you that didn't know, I spent the first month of this year redoing various things with the BLVD. This caused me to not really check my list, which is why I forgot that I wanted the orange release. Well thankfully I was able to get this Red Edition.

The design featured on this one has a color scheme that's similar to the orange one. So it's design utilizes red, black, and yellow. I think the color scheme looks much better over white. I know this is a Holley themed release, but in my opinion, these colors are similar to the TRD livery. This is one of the reasons why I like their decision to make this one white

The "RE5" on this release was placed just after the Holley decal on the sides.

As you've all seen, this year's off-road themed mainline releases feature brown wheels with colored spokes. So for this release, the decision was made to make it have yellow spokes. I don't know how you feel about this, but I starting to have mixed feelings about them doing this. I'm not saying that it's the worst idea, but having would-be muddy tires on on vehicle that's not muddy is not quite right. Now this idea does work on vehicles that have mud splatter details. Take the recent Range Rover for example. The brown wheels looked okay on that release because of the details on it. Ultimately, I hope this trend doesn't continue for next year's mainline. And if it does, then I guess it's just something I'll have to live with.


If you were to ask me which of the three I liked the most, then I'd tell you that it was the Triumph. This is simply because I only had one other release of the casting before this year's release. But overall, these three releases are very nice additions to any collection.

So collectors what did think you think of these first Red Editions? Did you like all three of them, or did you decide to only get specific ones? Feel free to let me know down in the comments. Okay, that's all for this edition of Today on the Boulevard. Until next time, happy collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment