Thursday, July 21, 2022

2022 Hot Wheels Store Exclusive Colors: Target Case "G" Red Editions & Walmart Case "F" Zamacs

Hi everyone, welcome to a new additional feature here on the boulevard. Time and time again, I've made mention of how I don't care for store exclusive releases. Back when I was younger, I sought them out because I thought they'd be some of the best releases to have. But things changed as I got older. Basically, I stopped caring about them due to how stressful it became to look for them, and this hobby is something I do for fun. That's why I always say that these are just toys at the end of my post. Now, not going after them doesn't mean I won't get them when I happen to find them. Sometimes, I'm able to come across them, and as you can see from the title, I had some luck with two different sets of store exclusives. So I decided that it was time for me to share my thoughts on them. With that being said, let's begin.

This year's case "G" had a plethora of great releases, and I bet most collectors were even happier with the Red Editions from it. Now, I was able to find the Civic and the F-100, but I was not able to find the Silverado. And to be honest, I really don't care because I'm completely satisfied with the green one that was release earlier this year. 

Most collectors would probably be jumping for joy if they found an exclusive color of the EK9 hanging on the pegs, but I wasn't. Sure, I got it, but I just don't see what all the hype is about. I also don't see why people think they should charge $20 for it. Now, I'm not just saying that because I want to play devil's advocate. There are actually two reasons why I feel that way, and the first one has to do with its exterior and wheel color scheme. In my opinion, there's nothing special about it, and you might just agree with me when you see the extra picture I took for this post.



So... do you see what I'm saying? People want to charge a lot of money for a release that looks no different than a regular mainline release. I, for one, think the Red Edition should have just been a regular recolor. 


I was actually able to acquire more than one of these, and no, I'm not bragging. The reason why I'm mentioning that is because having more than one has allowed me to spot an issue with the paint. And it is the second reason why I don't think this release is worth the hype.

I don't know about the ones that were sent to your area, but all of the ones I found have paint chips, and the spots are noticeable. I, for one, don't really mind, but you might. So if you couldn't find this release, then you might want to wait to see if the secondary prices drop, or you could wait for a possible future release that's also red. Of course, this could be the only red one, but I highly doubt it. I mean, just look at this year's release of the Kafer Racer. In case you didn't know, it's the third red one.  



The F-100 was the main one that was left in my area, and I feel the same way about it. Like the Civic, this release's exterior color is nothing special. There was a matte black release back in 2002, and there was another one with flames back in 2008. Oh, and the one from 2002 also had a red base. So I just can't understand why these are resold for outrageous prices. 




I guess I've had a very negative opinion of the Red Editions for some time now. So, to be fair, the Red Editions aren't bad looking releases, which is why I'll get them when I'm able to find them. And I do have to admit that I'm happy to finally have a matte black release of the F-100. I also have to admit that it's nice to have an older Type R that matches the newer one. 

At the end of the day, I just don't like the atmosphere of Target whenever these are released. I know diecast hunting isn't supposed to be easy, but you shouldn't have to look over your shoulder while trying to find the releases you have on your want list. That was usually how I felt whenever I went to Walmart, and I never expected Target to end up having the same atmosphere too. But I guess things change. Alright, that's enough about Target, let's move on to the exclusive releases from Walmart. 

Unlike the Red Editions, Walmart's exclusive releases feature unpainted exteriors. So I always find myself being more excited about them whenever I'm able to find them, which is not very often. Now, I might think they're better, but like the exclusives from Target, I don't think they are worth the prices you see them listed for. But I'm done talking about that subject, so let me move on.  

Fortunately, I was able to find all three of the case "F" Zamac releases, and I'm glad because I really wanted to have the '69 Copo Corvette. Now, there's absolutely nothing wrong with this year's first release, however, there is a reason why I like the Zamac one more.


Do you remember White Booth Wednesday #126? Well, if you don't, then the release I picked for that post was the debut release of this casting. So what does that release have to do with this year's release? Well, like the one I had, this year's release is also blue with a white and red livery. Of course, the blue they used for it is darker than the blue that was used for the one I had, but it's still blue with a white and red livery nonetheless. So thanks to the design choices that were made for this Zamac release, I can finally say that I have a new release of this casting. I mean, I still like this year's first release, but this one is definitely the better of the two, since it doesn't have any red designs on it. 



The second one is the Nissan R390 GT1, and I'm glad there were more than enough of them there for me to get an extra one to have on display. I was actually going to eventually open one of the extra blue ones I got, but I have to say, this one looks a little better than it. 


Sure, the blue one might still be the best one, since the real car is currently blue, but you have to admit that this unpainted one looks phenomenal. I should also mention that I'm very happy with their decision to use the lace wheels again for this Zamac release. They could have changed them, since the regular mainline release had them, but I'm glad they didn't because they are one of the things that I liked about this year's release. 



The third case "F" Zamac is the Big-Air Bel-Air. Okay, it's official, the Hot Wheels designers are really proud of this casting. Why am I saying that? Well, it's because this casting has had back-to-back store exclusive releases. Now, it might seem like I have an issue with that, but I don't. This is a very cool version of the Bel-Air, and I'm glad I've been able to add the exclusive releases of it to my collection. I'm especially happy to have the Zamac one. In my opinion, the design they created for this year's release looks awesome over the unpainted exterior. 




Alright, those are the five releases I have for today's post. You might just see one of them featured again in this month's Best On The Block post. But don't think it's going to be one of the ones from Target. They're okay releases, but I'm not going to even give them the chance to be featured in the aforementioned post. 

Okay, now that you know my opinion, I want to know yours. So feel free to let me know your thoughts on these release down in the comments section. Well, that's all for this additional feature. Until next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting. And remember, these are just toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment