Sunday, January 2, 2022

Today On The Boulevard: 2021 Hot Wheels Mainline - That's A Wrap

Hello, and welcome to this year's first edition of Today On The Boulevard. If you read all of my post from last month, then you already know how I wasn't quite done with last year's mainline. I was able to to get most of what I wanted, but there were a few more releases I needed to find. Now, to be honest, I got to the point where I didn't really care if I found them or not. Basically, the ones I needed were recolors, and despite wanting them, I was completely satisfied with the initial releases them. Although... I should mention that one of them was a release I just had to have for a specific reason. And that's why I'm glad I was able to find it, as well as the others. So with that being said, let's get this post started by going over the aforementioned release first.

Have you ever visited my race team's garage? Well, if you did, then you probably noticed how we're not able to participate in all of the events held by the 1:64 Scale GT. Since it's creation, the team was unable to participate in off-road and drift competitions. For the most part, we're seen competing in the various circuit races around the boulevard. We do have two drag cars, but we don't always compete in those competitions. So I decided that it was time to add another car to the team's garage.   

If you're following me on Twitter or Pinterest, then I'm sure you saw my recent Tweet or Pin where I showed the team's latest win. In case you missed it, our team's C8 beat our rival's Lamborghini to the line. It ended up being a drag race to the finish line after the last turn. Anyway, thanks to winning that race, I was able to have the funds needed to add another car to the garage. So after taking some time to think about it, I decided to look into getting a drift car first, and I found the perfect one for the team. So I'm pleased to announce that RPM STARZ is now able to compete in the drift competitions held by the 1:64 Scale GT. And I hope you're all ready to lose!


Well, I think you can clearly see why I really wanted to have this recolor. Being my team's colors isn't the only reason why I like this release though. As you know, real-life Greddy themed vehicles (this release's real-life counterpart included) are white. So I think it's nice to see one that's finished in a different color, and I think yellow was a nice choice. I can honestly say that I like this release a little more than the white one.



Last year, Hot Wheels wowed JDM fans with the release of the Custom '70 Honda N600. And I'm sure everyone was delighted with how they decided to release a second color of it. I know for a fact that I was because it meant that I was going to be able to have a second plain release of it. That's why I instantly added it to my want list. I know there's a chance for another plain one this year, but for all anyone knows, this year's release will have a design on it.


I have to say, I really like the color they picked for this release. As you might know, I feel cream yellow is a great color for classic cars from any manufacturer. So that's why I thought the initial release was going to be my favorite, but that isn't the case thanks to this release being finished in a color I'm not used to seeing. Now, I'm not saying I dislike the first one, but this one definitely stands out in my collection of these cars.

I should also mention that I like their choice to give it all black wheels. In my opinion, this color goes great with the exterior color they picked. This design choice was actually something I liked about last year's JDM recolors. All black wheels aren't always used, so this design choice helped to further make this release stand out.



One of the JDM highlights from last year was definitely the Liberty Walk GT-R. And even if JDM isn't quite your thing, you have to admit that it's a cool casting. I, for one, wasn't expecting to see a GT-R casting with a body kit, which is was I truly stunned when I found it. In my opinion, they did a great job re-creating the Liberty Walk kit's features in 1:64 scale.    

Like I said at the start of this post, I was completely satisfied with the initial releases of these. I was especially satisfied with the initial release of this casting since it was finished in blue. So it wouldn't have been that big of a deal if I was still unable to find this recolor.



Now, do I like this one more than the blue one? No I don't. But that doesn't mean it's not a nice release regardless, and I'm sure some of you will like it more than the blue. As for me, the initial release isn't just my favorite because it's blue. Since Hot Wheels got the legal okay to make the R35, I've wanted one finished in blue for a while now. I know there's been two, but one was a Super while the other was an id car. Besides not being able to find it, the id version is a casting I'm not interested in due to the design of the front end. So even if I did find find, I probably wouldn't have gotten it. Anyway, I was truly delighted to finally have a blue R35 casting that I like. 

At the end of the day, this release is an okay alternative to the blue one. So hopefully you were able to add one of the two releases to your collection. Okay, let's move on to the next recolor I got.


Last year, Hot Wheels gave collectors of all ages many different fantasy cars, and there were a few that stood out to me. One of them is the Muscle and Blown, it ended up being one of my favorite new castings. And how could it not with the overall shape of it's exterior. One things for sure, they definitely did a great job creating a car that'd be loved by collectors of all ages.

The initial release of this casting was cool because it matched the debut releases of the Erikenstein Rod and the Mod Rod. And I'm sure that's why many of you liked it. In fact, that's one of the reasons why I liked it, and it ended up making me really regret not getting the initial release of the Erikenstein Rod.


Although I decided to get this recolor, I really don't like one over the other. Satin blue and gold is a great combination, and it's one that's not used everyday, which is why I still really like the first release. But I think this casting also looks great finished in red, and I like the paint they used for the number circle. So I guess you could say I like both of them equally. 


Okay, those are the four 2020 recolors I still needed to find. Although I'd given up on them, I can say that I'm happy to have all them. And I'm especially happy that I was able to find that Supra. I mean... it was definitely time for RPM STARZ to have a drift car. I guess it's time to shift my focus back to looking for this year's releases. So I can finally say that's a wrap for my 2021 mainline want list.

So how do feel about these recolors? Did you get all of these, or did you only get some of them? Go ahead and let me know down in the comments section. Alright, that's all for this edition of Today On The Boulevard. Till next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting. And remember, these are just toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment