Sunday, January 9, 2022

My Want List: 2022 Hot Wheels Mainline - Off To An Okay Start Part 1

Hi everyone, welcome to a new edition of My Want List here on the boulevard. Well, this year's first mainline assortment has made an appearance in my area. And thankfully, I was able to get everything I wanted from it. I just had to visit a few stores that weren't that close to each other, but that's diecast hunting for you. Anyway, Hot Wheels has decided to start this year off right by giving collectors some really nice looking releases in this first case. And to be honest, these releases have me excited for what this year has to offer. So I can't wait! Alright, that's enough for the intro, let's go over these awesome releases from case A. 

Among the many castings I look forward to seeing a release of, there's a few that I get really excited for. One of them is the '76 Greenwood Corvette, and you might be wondering why when there's so many other great castings. Well, it's because of the designs they create for them. In my opinion. the designers do a great job at creating flashy racing liveries for this car. 


Now, this release's livery might not feature multiple colors like some of the liveries created for past releases, but this one is still just as awesome anyway. And the livery was made even better with the additional real-life sponsor decals. In fact, it's worth mentioning that this basic release has more decals than the other basic releases of it. I don't how you feel about that, but I feel that's what makes this one of the better looking mainline releases.

Okay, I've done enough drooling over the design. I also need to say that I love the exterior color they picked. Initially, I though this release was going to be finished in black, which is why I was considering adding it to the RPM STARZ garage. But I chose not to since it's not black at all. As it turns out, the designers chose to finish this release in a very dark metallic blue, and I think it's a great color.


As I've mentioned many times before, I don't make special releases a priority. However, Like any diecast collector, I will get them if I'm able to find them. After all, I have to have something to show for all the fuel I use looking for these little cars. So the next release I found was the Batmobile from The Dark Knight movie, and it's this case's Treasure Hunt. 


I think we can all agree that this is a very, and I mean very nice release of the Tumbler. I truly like all of the design choices that were made for it. Being finished in my favorite color is a huge plus, but the design created for it is what made me like it even more. Making a design out of the logo from this Batman movie helped to create a very unique release of this casting. It's definitely a perfect collectors piece for Hot Wheels and Batman fans alike.


Last month, I made a post where I talked about two Matchbox releases I wasn't expecting to see. In that post, I made mention of how Mattel's brands have decided to honor the legacy of Ryu Asada by adding some additional details to the cards as well as the vehicles. Well, it looks like Hot Wheels has decided to do what Matchbox did with the SVX. So the cards have a logo, and the vehicles have additional details. So with that being said, the next three releases I got are the "Ryu's Rides."

Up first, is a casting called the Mighty K, and it's a Kie truck with some nice looking exterior modifications.


I love this little truck! In fact, I almost got an extra one to have on display with the black Subaru Sambar I have sitting out. At the time, I thought it'd be cool to have a stock and a modified Kei truck on display. But I decided to only get one.


Besides having details to honer Ryu Asada, this release also has one that I personally like, and it was applied to the rear end of this casting. What's the detail? I think it should be obvious that I'm talking about a license plate. And what I like is how it's an authentic Japanese plate, which is a plate detail you don't see as often as the other plates.


The second one I got is the '85 Honda City Turbo. Similar to the Greenwood Corvette, this is another one of the castings I look forward to due to the flashy designs that are created for it.


Once again, the Hot Wheels designers created a very nice design for this casting, and they picked a nice exterior color to go with it. Thanks to these design choices, this release has a very retro racing look to it, and I love it!



The third one I got is another new casting, and it's a Tooned version of the Volkswagen Golf MK1. Now, as you know, I don't typically collect the Tooned castings, but I figured I'd get this one since it's a "Ryu's Rides" release. To be fair though, it's not a terrible looking casting, I just don't really care for them. So don't expect to regularly see its releases featured here on the boulevard. 


As for the design, I think it looks great. Although, I do kind of wish they also applied something to the hood. If it was up to me, I would have placed the design across the driver side of the hood. But I guess there's nothing wrong with the rest of the car being plain.



The 2020 Ram 1500 Rebel is the next release I had on my 2022 case A want list, and there's a reason why it's a release I had to have. With last year's release, the Hot Wheels designers chose to give it the brown tires. I know they did that to give it the look of being driven through the mud, but I didn't completely like it because of that design choice. That's why the debut release continued to be my favorite one. Thankfully, the designer chose to give this third release black tires. Of course, the tires are obviously not the only thing I like about this one, so let me move on to the next thing I have to say about this release. 

For this release's exterior, the designers chose to paint it silver and give it a black stripe design with "REBEL" applied over it. Now, you might be wondering why I like this deign choice. Well, it's because it makes this release match last year's HW Torque release of the '17 Ford F-150 Raptor. I actually almost got an extra one of these because of that very reason. After all, it's nice to have matching releases out and on display.



As you can see, they even chose to give it the same wheels as the Raptor. So I feel these two would look great sitting next to each other.



Okay, I think six is a good stopping point, so that's going to be all for this first part. The rest of my case A want list will be talked about tomorrow. So I do hope you come back to see my thoughts on the other releases I got. 

So what are your thoughts on the six releases featured in this post? Go ahead and let me know down in the comments section. Alright, until tomorrow, thanks for reading. And remember, these are just toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment