Saturday, January 15, 2022

Looking At: 2021 Hot Wheels Car Culture - Modern Classics

Hello, and welcome to another edition of Looking At. After many failed diecast hunts, I was finally able to come across some new premiums on the pegs. And as you saw from my Tweet or Pin, Hot Wheels has decided to add five more releases to the Modern Classics set. Now, to be truthfully honest, today's post could have been titled differently due to the fact that I almost didn't buy all five of the releases. I was actually a little hesitant on getting one of them, but I made the decision to just get it anyway. So with that being said, let's get this post started.

Alright, before I go over the first car, I though I'd quickly point out one of the things I like about all five of the releases from this assortment. What I like is how each of them features a license plate. Yes, it's a small detail, but it's a detail I love seeing. So I'm glad they created one for each of the cars. Okay, now that I got that out of the way, let's go over the five cars. And I'm going to start things off by talking about the '98 Honda Prelude first, since it's the one I wasn't going to get. 

In a couple of older Looking At post, I made mention of how I was starting to reconsider buying slightly better versions of what I already had. Well, that is the reason why I was hesitant on getting this release. You remember the debut release of this casting, right? Of course you do. I mean... how could you not when the casting isn't that old. Anyway, the designers chose to once again use silver.


To be fair, silver isn't a bad color for this car, and it does have a different interior color as well as an American license plate. But I would have chose to give collectors one that was finished in a different color. And if it was up to me, I would have made this release pearl white. Of course, that's just one of the many colors they could have chose for this first premium release. At the end of the day, anything would have been better than using silver again so soon.


This assortment had three releases I had to have, and one of them is the '92 BMW M3. I bet you're wondering why I was excited for this release of it. Well, if you're like me, then you're also going to be jumping for joy over this release due to the fact that it's plain.


After all this time, Hot Wheels has finally given collectors like me a plain release of this casting. That's right, all of its previous releases have had a design. And while there's nothing wrong with that, it is nice to finally have a release without one. Furthermore, I feel they picked a great color for it. Similar to vehicles from Mercedes-Benz, black helps to give BMW's vehicles more of a classy appearance. 


I do have a few other releases of this casting, and I still very much like all of them. But this one is definitely now my favorite. If this release was featured in a White Booth Wednesday, I would have given it a ten out of ten. In other words, I have nothing bad to say about this release.


So what were the other two releases I was excited for? Well, they are the Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 and the Lancer Evolution VI, both of which are new castings. Everyone is going to have a different opinion on what this case's highlights are, but for me, it's these two. 


In my opinion, Mitsubishi has made some awesome cars, and I feel they're sometimes overshadowed by some of the other older JDMs. I mean, when it comes to older Japanese cars, I'm sure the first thing that comes to most peoples minds are the various vehicles from Nissan or Toyota. Now, I'm not saying there isn't a huge Mitsubishi fan base, but folks seem to always drool over the thought of vehicles from those two manufacturers. Anyway, I'm extremely delighted to see more of Mitsubishi's cars being turned into Hot Wheels castings.


Among the five license plates created, this release's one is my favorite. Its plate says "SPICY GT," and I think it's a very fitting plate for this spicy release. I mean... this car will look great finished in just about any color, but I do think it looks fantastic finished in red. And I guess my fondness of a red 3000 GT comes from when I played a game called Midnight Club Los Angeles. In that game, players are able to own the 1999 3000 GT. When I finally got one, I made the decision to paint it red, and it became my preferred color for this car not too long after that.


Although I consider both of these new castings to be the highlights from this case, I can honestly say that I was more excited for the Lancer. I know this isn't the first Lancer Evolution from Hot Wheels, but it's most definitely the one I've been waiting for. It's similar to how I spent many year's wanting a Hot Wheels version of the R33. The newer versions of these cars are great, but there's just something special about these older ones.




Both of these releases have me excited at the possibility of getting even more diecast versions of Mitsubishi's other cars. And I'm also hoping to see a non Fast and Furious release of the eclipse. I know that kind of car is no longer a thing, but I'd love to see another release of it with a different design on it. And I'm sure the designers could create an awesome early 2000s styled design for it. If not, then I'd love to get a plain release. Alright, let's move on to the last car.

This assortment had another first time premium release besides the prelude, and it's the Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo. I wasn't expecting to see a premium release of this casting, but I can honestly say that it's a welcomed sight. And I think you'll all agree, since it means we'll now see releases of it with more detail.


Since this is the first premium release, I glad they decided to not do what they did with the Prelude. In other words, I'm glad they picked a different color for it. Similar to the Prelude, this too is a casting that's not that old, and I feel there's no real reason to reuse colors so soon. Now, as for how I feel about the color they picked, I think it's an okay choice for this car. Of course, if I was going to buy a real one of these, then I'd look for one that's finished in a blue that's similar to the one used for the previous release.



Okay, those are the five new "Modern Classics." Overall, this was another stellar Car Culture assortment. And even though I have an issue with the Prelude's exterior color, I can honestly say that I'm glad I decided to get it. At the end of the day, I probably would have regretted the decision to not get it. After all, there are some key differences between it and the silver mainline release.

So how do you feel about these releases and the design choices made for them? Go ahead and let me know down in the comments section. Alright, that's all for this edition of Looking At. Until next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting. And remember, these are just toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment