Sunday, November 21, 2021

Hot Wheels 9-pack: The Risk Was Worth The Reward

Hello, and welcome to another additional feature. To be honest, I really don't pay attention to any of the 9-packs from Hot Wheels or Matchbox. This is because I've come across way too many altered packs. I've seen ones with those cheap cars you get for decorating cakes, and I've seen ones with Hot Wheels releases that are worn down. I could go on and on with all the different alterations I've seen made to these packs. It's really sad, because these pack sometimes offer some really great looking releases. 

One of the other reasons why I don't typically get these packs, is due to the small number of releases that I'd actually want. So besides the pack possibly being altered, I just can't find a reason to buy seven additional cars that I don't care for. Now, last month, I had to make a grocery run. And as usual, I decided to check the toy isle to see what might have been placed. That's when I came across a 9-pack that contained some awesome releases, and it was more than just three. This led to me going against my mindset, and making the decision to risk getting an altered pack. 

It's worth mentioning, that this pack doesn't appear to have been altered. Most of the altered packs I've seen, are at Walmart. There have been a few occasions where I found them at Target as well, but I honestly haven't seen too many altered ones at grocery stores. Okay, I'm sure you're wondering what all was in this pack, so let's get to the pictures.

I figured that I'd start with the exclusive decoration first, since that's the one you saw in my social media post. Sadly, I don't have as many For Thunderbolt releases as I'd like. In fact, before this one, all I had was the white one from the 2010 hot auction mainline set. So I'm glad to finally have another good looking one. Besides the exterior color and design, I really like how it was given the DD8 wheels. 

The other car you saw in this picture, is the F1 Racer. It might not have been one of the ones that I had to have, but I will admit that I'm happy to have it in my collection. It's really not a bad looking release of it. 

 
The next two releases, are the '55 Chevy and the Corvette Stingray. I want to talk about the Corvette first. This is one of the Corvettes I was missing. I know one was released in 2016 mainline, but I really didn't like it. Yeah... I might like chrome car wraps, but I definitely wouldn't do that to a C3 Corvette. Anyway, this 9-pack release is fantastic, and I really like what was done to it. A blue exterior, with a simple stripe design, is all that was needed to create a good looking C3. Additionally, it was given the Retro Slot wheels, which further complement it's looks. 

The '55 Chevy in this 9-pack, is a recolor of one from a 2011 Chevy themed 5-pack. Sadly, I  never got around to getting that pack. So I'm glad they decided to use the '55 Chevy from it again. To be honest, I kind of think this one looks a little better. The 2011 release might have been finished in my favorite color, but the scallop design's color is similar to the 2010 release's scallop design, and I do have that one. This release's scallop design is blue, which looks a-okay over white. I also like how this one features a blue interior. 


The next two releases, are the Midnight Otto and the '70 Mustang Mach 1. Although I like them both, you can probably guess which one I was excited for the most. I just had to have this release of the Midnight Otto. Black with black and red flames, is a definitely a customization I'd do to a hot rod. It's also great how they chose to give it all chrome MC5 wheels. 

Although the '70 Mustang didn't make me say WOW like the Otto did, it's still a nice release. In fact, I really like the blue that was picked for it's exterior. The design applied to it isn't bad either. It's sides feature a simple white stripe, with the Hot Wheels logo behind it. The one thing I will say, is that I feel the logo wasn't really needed. The stripe would have been more than good enough. At the end of the day though, it doesn't look bad. It's just not something I would have done. I mean... we all know these are Hot Wheels models. 


The last two releases that made me buy this pack, are the '17 Ford GT and '67 Camaro. This Ford GT is finished in a cool shade of orange, and it has black stripes. It also has gold PR wheels. When I first saw pictures of it, I wasn't quite sure if I'd like how it looks with these wheels. Now that I have it, I can honestly say that it doesn't look bad at all. I'd even say that this wheel color helps to make it stand out (in a good way) from the other releases of it.

What's interesting, is that the '67 Camaro in this pack, is none other than the Kroger exclusive color. Like I said, this pack doesn't appear to have been altered. And I don't think anyone is going to swap out a 9-pack exclusive with a store exclusive.  


So as you can see, this pack contained eight great releases. This is actually the first time I've found a 9-pack that had this many models I wanted. The only bad thing, is that I had to pay a little more than I would have at a different store. But this pack is totally worth the increased price.

Alright everyone, have you recently added any 9-packs to you collection? If so, feel free to let me know down in the comments section. Okay, that's all for today. Until next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting. And remember, these are just toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment