Saturday, October 9, 2021

Today On The Boulevard: What I Got From The Newest Matchbox Collectors Series Assortment

Hi everyone, welcome to another edition of Today On The Boulevard. Have you been enjoying the Collectors series from Matchbox? I have. Each of the assortments so far have provided us with some great looking models. And that continues to be the case with the third assortment that has finally showed up in my area. Unfortunately, I was only able to get some of the releases from it. As usual, certain releases were hoarded up, which is fine because I was able to get two of the ones I really wanted. 

Before I get to the releases I got, I figured that I'd go ahead and talk about the ones I couldn't get. In total, there were two releases that got hoarded up. They are the Gulf themed Divco Milk Truck and the Honda S2000. It's not surprising that those are the ones. Usually, the Milk Truck is the peg warmer, but slap a Gulf theme on it, and everyone goes crazy. As for the S2000, I think we all know why that was one of the releases that was taken. So I don't need to say more. Alright, let's move on from those.

The first of the two that I really wanted, is the 1962 Mercedes-Benz 220 SE. Finally! That's the first thing I said when I saw pictures of this release going around the internet. I was wondering when there'd be a second release of this two-door classic. From what I can gather, the original releases from a long time ago were finished in red like the Superfast release. So despite being happy with that one, I felt that it was time for one to be finished in another color. And I'm totally satisfied with the color that was picked for this release.   


As you can see, the designers chose to give this classic Mercedes-Benz modern looking six-spoke wheels. This is the one design choice I don't like. Personally, this release would have looked much better with the RRS or SRR wheels. Other than that, this is a great release.



Lately, matchbox has been the go-to brand for classic American rides. Some of my personal favorites, are the vehicles from the 30's. That's why the 1934 Chevy Master Coupe was my number one favorite release from mix five. Anyway, back in 2019, Matchbox released the very beautiful 1932 Ford Pickup in their Superfast series. That casting, just so happens to be the second one I wanted the most from this new Collectors series assortment. I'm so glad this release wasn't completely hoarded up like the Milk Truck and S2000. Of the many multiples of each release that was left, this was the only one.


The best thing about this third release for me, is how it features a two-tone color scheme. The first two releases are still nice, but it's cool to finally see this truck with different colored fenders. The red RRS wheels, are another one of the design choices that made this a must-have for me. I know for a fact that I'm not the only one that thinks vintage vehicles look a-okay with colored steel wheels. I mean, just look at how many black hot rods there are with red wheels.  


At the end of the day, this is truly another great release of this casting. And all of the design choices made for it, have truly made it hard for me to pick a specific favorite. 


Besides the Collectors series, I've also been enjoying all of the new Toyota releases from both of Mattel's diecast brands. I think we can all agree that they've released some great castings ever since they got the license to use Toyota again. And now, there's a new one to add to that list. The Toyota FJ Cruiser has finally been made, and it's the last release I got. 


I was actually surprised at how there were many multiples of it left on the pegs. Since it's a Toyota, I figured that It'd be one of the ones that was hoarded. That's why it wasn't one of the releases I had to have. Nowadays, I try not to make Japanese vehicles a priority since they are the main ones hoarded up whenever new stock comes in. I guess it just couldn't overshadow the mighty Gulf livery, and that's completely fine by me, since it made it easy to get.



Well, it looks like I'm going to be on the hunt for the other two, but I'm not going to stress myself out trying to live at Walmart just to get them. So it'd be great if I can find them, but it won't matter if I can't. 

So, did you decide to also get these three? Or did you only care about the Milk Truck and S2000? Feel free to let me know down in the comments section. Alright, that's all for this edition of Today On The Boulevard. Until the next edition, thanks for reading, and happy collecting. And remember, these are just toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment