Saturday, October 23, 2021

Another 2021 Matchbox 5-Pack Purchase

Hello everyone, welcome to a new additional feature. This year I've purchased more five-packs than I ever have in years gone by. Most of the time, five-packs might have one or two releases I'd want. And as much as I'd want them, I really can't find a reason to spend five dollars on the other releases I don't care for. So I usually don't pay much attention to them when I go down the diecast row. But things are much different this year. 

I'm sure everyone at some point in their life has heard the phrase "one man's trash is another man's treasure." Well, that's most likely going to be how longtime collectors feel about this new MBX Exotic five-pack, since all five of the models in it are re-releases. I actually appreciate the occasional re-release. In fact, that's one of the other things I like about Matchbox. If you couldn't find a specific model at the time of it's release, there's a small chance you'll have another opportunity to get it years later. 

Re-releases are also great for collectors that got into Matchbox a little later than others. And an entire five-pack full of them is a must-have for those of you that missed out on the original releases like I did. Alright, let's go over the newest additions to my collection. 

As is the case with a lot of five-packs from Matchbox, this one features one police car. This time, it's the Lamborghini LP560-4, and it's a re-release of the one from 2014. Usually, I don't care too much for the police cars included in these five-packs. I mean, I don't dislike them, it's just they aren't typically why I buy these. But I actually happen to like this one.


The second model in this pack, is a re-release of the white Chevy Corvette ZR1 from 2011. I always get excited when I'm able to acquire castings I've never had before, and this Matchbox casting is one of the ones I didn't have. 


Now, before I get to the next model, I thought I'd point out an interesting error. The side of this five-pack says this is a 1999 Chevy Corvette ZR1. Um... this is clearly a C6 and not a C5. Anyway, if you're into collecting card errors, then you should definitely add this five-pack to your collection. Alright, let's get to the next model.


To be truthfully honest, I almost overlooked this five-pack, but one of the models in it caught my attention. That model, is the 2005 Ford GT, and it's a re-release of the one from 2009. Now, if you happen to have that one, then you already know why this re-release caught my attention. If you don't, then let me tell you that this release features an unpainted exterior. Personally, this design choice created a truly stunning 1:64 scale Ford GT.


The '61 Jaguar E-Type is the next model in this five-pack, and it's a re-release of the one from 2008. Being a classic isn't the only reason why I was delighted to see it. In 2018, Matchbox released a five-pack called Coffee Cruisers, and this was one of the models in it. Back then, I chose to ignore the stripe design that was applied to it. At the time, I was happy to finally have one of these in my collection. But I will admit that I never completely liked it due to that design. Fortunately, Matchbox chose to re-release a plain one that's finished in a cool shade of my favorite color.


The 2008 Lotus Evora is the fifth and final model in this five-pack. From what I can gather, this one is a re-release of the one from a 2011 five-pack called Modern Rides. I really thought the matte black one I had looked great, but this release's exterior color makes it look way better than that one, if I do say so myself. Don't get me wrong, matte black is still an okay color for an Evora, and I'm sure many of you will prefer it over this one. But as I've mentioned in an older post, I prefer brighter colors for high-end vehicles. 


In my opinion, this five-pack deserves to be given a ten out of ten. Obviously, that's not going to be how everyone feels about it. But I had to score it high, since it made it so I don't have to spend lots of money trying to get the original releases of these five.

So are you someone who needed these in their collection? Go ahead and let me know down in the comments section. Alright, that's all for this post. Till next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting. And remember, these are just toys.  

No comments:

Post a Comment