Monday, September 20, 2021

My Want List: 2021 Matchbox Mix 5 - Checked More Off Of The List

Hello diecast fans, welcome to today's edition of My Want list. Earlier this month, I published a post where I showed how I was only able to check four releases off of my Matchbox mix five want list. I actually wasn't surprised at how there were only a few left. I mean... that's Walmart for you. Anyway, my mix five want list was far from complete, so the hunt continued. Fortunately, I didn't have to use too much gas to find the ones I'm talking about today. Thanks to my decision to check Target, I was able to check more releases off of my want list. With that said, let's go over what I found.

Remember how mix four had two Mini Cooper releases? Well... thanks to mix five, the Mini Cooper saga continues with the newest release of the 03 Mini cooper S. I don't know you feel about Mini Coopers, but I really like how they've decided to do back-to-back releases of these cars. Some of you longtime collectors might not care for these newer releases as much as I do, since they aren't exactly new castings. But I wasn't always into Matchbox when they were used on a regular basis. So I missed out on a lot of releases. That's why I get really excited when Matchbox decides to use their older castings again, and it's even better when they retool them like they did with this one.



I actually like everything that was done to this release. I only wish it had some tampo details on it's rear end. I mean, it's not that big of a deal, but you have to admit that this model would have looked a little better if it at least had tail lights. But, as usual, this is not a big deal. I'm just happy to finally have a second release of this casting. 


Okay, the 1969 BMW 2002 is the next release checked off of my want list. This classic BMW is one casting that'll always make it to my want list, and I'm pleased with both of this year's releases. In case you didn't know, the other one was released in a five-pack that I talked about not too long ago. Anyway, thanks to it's black exterior and beige interior, I feel this release has a real classy appearance to it. And that's why it was a release I had to have.




Even though I like this release, I do have one small issue with one of the design choices. Once again, the designers chose to apply "BMW 2002" over a plain white rectangle on it's license plate section. I am happy that it has details on it's rear, but I wish they would have given it an authentic European plate. I love seeing the vanity plates they create, and I feel it's time for this beautiful classic to have one. 


Checked off of my want list next, is the Volkswagen GTI. As you know, this is another one of their old castings that's gotten two recent releases. Before the 2017 release, 2010 was the last time it was used. I do have the one from 2017, but I was never completely on board with the wheel that were picked for it. Fortunately, they decided to release one with better wheels. And thankfully, it was finished in an okay color. Personally, there's nothing wrong with a metallic black GTI.



Unlike the BMW 2002, this one features a license plate detail that's different than the last release. The 2017 one featured "T-DAWG, " while this one features "GTI LIFE." Like I said, I love seeing the vanity plates they create. 


As we move forward into the future, our favorite modes of transportation are starting to change. I will admit that I'll miss that signature sound you get when speeding up to merge onto the freeway, but the show must go on. Ultimately, cars are still cars. They are just becoming a little quieter, and more friendly to this planet we call home. With that said, then next release checked off of my want list, is the new Honda E.

Although I like seeing models with side mirrors, I usually don't have an issue with the castings that don't have them. However, that's not the case with this casting. This was the one time where I felt it was absolutely necessary for them to include them into the design of the casting. The reason for that is because they aren't actually mirrors at all. For those of you that didn't know, the sides of the Honda E have cameras, which send footage to two screens located on each side of this vehicle's dashboard. So having this detail helps to put the spotlight on some of the neat technology that's starting to be incorporated into the vehicles of today.  



As for how I feel about the design choices made for this release, I really don't have any issues. White is an okay color for this vehicle, and I'm happy with the amount of tampo details that were applied to it.


Alright, now it's time to hit the rewind button, because the next release is a lot older than the Honda E. The casting in question, is the 1948 willy Jeepster. I actually have all three of this casting's releases, and this one is starting to be my favorite due to it's exterior color. I don't know the exact name of it, but I'd best describe it as being a mint green. One things for sure, it's another one of the colors that's not used as often as some of the other ones, and that makes this release stand out.



Unfortunately, this is another one of the releases from mix five that has a detail I have an issue with. And once again, it's what was applied to the license plate section. This releasefeatures the same detail that was applied to the last release. This cool casting's appearance would totally benefit from having a 1940s plate. In fact, it doesn't even have to be a '40s plate, I just want to see some different details applied to each of it's releases. 


Although we have Japanese auto manufacturers in the United States, many of their vehicles are only sold over there. Of course, some of those vehicles have made it to our shores. Take Nissan's V35 Skyline for example. In the United States, it's the Infinity G35. Anyway, there are still many vehicles that have yet to be seen over here. And some will never make it to our shores. Fortunately, us diecast collectors don't have to go bankrupt spending the money to import them, thanks to diecast brands like Matchbox re-creating them as 1:64 scale models. And that's the case with the new Toyota Hilux Pickup, which is the last release I was able to find.   


Whether you wanted it because it's a JDM, or because it's a new casting, it's no lie that it's nice addition to any collection. I, for one, wanted it because it's a new right hand drive Toyota pickup. I mean, getting Toyota releases is a no-brainer. After all, you never know when they'll no longer be able to make their vehicles again.



Although I found all of these, my mix five want list is still not entirely complete. I'm sure I'll be able to the rest of what I want. Hopefully, it doesn't take too much gas trying to find them, but that's diecast collecting. 

So, how do you feel about these releases? Go ahead and let me know your thoughts down in the comments section. Well, that's all for this edition of My Want List. Until next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting. And remember, these are just toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment