Sunday, September 12, 2021

My Want List: 2021 Matchbox Mix 5 - What I Got

Hello everyone, welcome to a new edition of My Want List. This year's Matchbox mixes have been absolutely stellar, and like mix four, mix five has been very hard to track down. To be honest, I really thought I missed my chance to get anything from mix five, thanks to it being time for mix six. Fortunately, it looks like I'll have a chance. As usual, older releases start to appear when the newer ones are supposed to be out. Now, as you can see from the title, I wasn't able to find everything I wanted from this mix. However, I was able to find some of the ones I really wanted. As I like to say, something is better than nothing. So I'll accept whatever I can get. I just hope I'm able to track down the rest of what I want from this mix. Anyway, let's go over what I got. 

A long time ago, Hot Wheels had a few different cars from the 1930s in their mainline. These cars weren't the various Fords we see being made today. No... what I'm talking about, are cars like the Talbot Lago and the Rolls-Royce Phantom II. Sadly, these vintage cars are no longer made by them. What's great, is that it looks like Matchbox is starting to give us cars from the era. As you know, they've given us the '33 Plymouth, which had it's first plain release last year. And now, they've given us a beautiful 1934 Chevy Master Coupe. 


This is definitely my favorite release from mix five. I know I can't be the only one that thinks it's great to have another car from the 1930s that isn't a Ford. Don't get me wrong, I love old Fords as much as the next person, but both of Mattel's diecast brands have 1930s Ford castings, and they are all customized. There's nothing wrong with that, but I do think it's great to have unaltered cars from the era too. 



When I first saw pictures of this casting, I was a little worried about it's overall size. I honestly though it was going to be on the smaller side, and I felt that it needed to be similar in size to the '33 Ford casting. Well, it's not exactly the same size as the Ford, but I feel it's close enough. All in all, I'm very happy with this casting, and I can't wait to collect all of it's releases. Although... I probably won't get it if they do the same thing they did to the debut release of the '33 Plymouth. 

(I wasn't able to get an extra one to open, but I still felt the need to show the two releases together)


The next release from mix five that I got, is the '71 Porsche 914. I really wasn't expecting to see another one of these in a 2021 mix. The first one was released in mix one. Anyway, I'm very happy with their decision to release a second one. As you know, Hot Wheels has their own version of this car that's, and it's as good as this one. Sadly, the casting isn't used much, which is why I only have one release of it. So thanks to Matchbox, I have the opportunity to have multiple 914s in my collection. 

I know this casting is getting older, but I do hope they decide to use it for a few more years. There are still a few colors that haven't been used for it. Silver is one of the colors that's good for any vehicle, and it's one of the colors I'd like to see used for this casting. I'd also like to see another blue one. I know they already released one finished in the color, but it was a multi-pack releases, and I don't usually get those. Anyway, that's enough about what I'd like to see. So let's move onto the next reason why I wanted this release. 


The one bad thing about not getting the initial releases of a casting, is that you can miss out on getting a release that's plain. A lot of you out there won't care, but as I've said in a few older post, I like having at least one plain release of every casting that I like. Now, since this casting was released eleven years ago, and it already had a few plain releases, I didn't think they would do another one. That's why I thought I'd have to look for a reasonably priced one on Ebay. Fortunately, I don't have to, and it's all thanks to Matchbox doing things differently than Hot Wheels.  



The next release that I got, is the 2019 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible. The 2012 model year, is the only modern Beetle that's currently being made by Hot Wheels. And I missed out on the debut release, which is sadly the only mainline release. All of the ones after that, were released in multi-pack, which is why I don't have them. So that's why I'm glad Matchbox has this casting. It might be a convertible, but it's still a modern Beetle nonetheless. As such, it will most likely always make it to my want list.  



I think we can all agree that it's cool to see these little cars with a license plate. I, for one, love the detail, and it's one of the things that I like about this release. They didn't have to, but I'm very pleased with their decision. This time, it's a California plate with "CALI VW" applied to it. There's nothing like a little convertible fun in the California sun, so I think this plate is very fitting. 


At Diecast BLVD, it's not just about cool cars. With that being said, the last release I was able to get, is the new 2019 Subaru Forester. Being able to collect the various Impreza model years is nice, but it also nice to have some of Subaru's other vehicles as well. And when it comes to SUVs, I feel Matchbox is the better brand. I can always count on them to give us a nicely design stock looking SUV.


Having a favorite color does not meanI won't like other colors too, and that just so happens to be the case with this release's exterior color. I really like the green that was picked for it. At first, I though they just chose a really nice shade of the color, however, that's not the case. Like most diecast models, this one's exterior color is based on one that was available for the real vehicle. The color is called Jasper Green, and I think it looks good. In fact, if I was going to buy one of these, this is probably the color I'd pick.


Although I like everything about this release, I do think it could have been given a license plate like the Beetle. I know it's not that big of a deal, but the license plate section of this casting has more than enough room for a tampo plate. 


Okay, that's everything I was able to get from mix five. I'm not sure if I'll be able to complete my want list, but if I can, I'll be sure make a post about them. I might just have to go on a grand quest like I had to with mix four. 

So, what were your favorites from this mix? Go ahead and let me know down in the comments section. Okay, that's all for this edition of My Want List. Till next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting. And remember, these are just toys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment