Thursday, September 16, 2021

Looking At: 2021 Hot Wheels Convertible Series

Hi, and welcome to a new edition of Looking At. It's a sunny day at Diecast Blvd, which is why the convertibles from the newest Hot Wheels set, are out and cruising around. Overall, this set is absolutely stellar, and it features some great models for us to add to our collections. Furthermore, I feel this is a must-have set due to some of the castings being ones that aren't used as much. The other cool thing about this set, is that the vehicles picked are from different time periods. So I'm going to work my way through the years by starting with the oldest vehicle first, and then ending with the newest one. With that said, 1949 and 1955 are the years the first two come from.  

Since it's the oldest, the '49 Merc is the first one for this post. It's also one of the ones I was very delighted to see and get. Currently, this casting has only had two mainline releases since it's 2004 debut. When that happens, castings like this become a little tricky to get. That's why I try my hardest to get them when they are released. You never know when they'll decide to stop making them, which makes it so you have to get one off of the secondary market. And that's exactly what I did back in 2016 when I thought they were done with this casting. Unbeknownst to me, was that they would end up using this cool '49 Merc again in a few years. 


The last release of this casting was superb, and I feel this one is just as good. For some, it might even be better. Anyway, I love how decorated this release is, and it's awesome how they decided to decorate the top of it as well. The wheels are another thing I like about this release. In my opinion, the Aero Disk wheels are great for classics like this. I, for one, love seeing old castings with wheels that were created long after it's debut. 


The one vehicle I absolutely had to have, was the 1955 Corvette. Fortunately, I didn't have to turn to Ebay to get one of these, since Hot Wheels decided to release one in the 2018 Then and Now mainline series. But, as you know, it featured a stripe design. I was also to get the Target Throwback release, but it too featured a design. Now, don't get me wrong, I still very much like them both. However, the one from this set is that one plain release that I needed, which is why it was must-have for me. Personally, this release is truly one of the best ones. Some of you might still prefer one of the older releases, and that's perfectly fine. But I feel this one is right up there with them.


Whether it's from the United States, Japan, or Europe, this cream yellow is one color that I'll always like to see used for classic cars. And it helped to make this Corvette look stunning. Contributing to how it looks, as well as how much I like it, is it's maroon interior. This is a flawless exterior and exterior color scheme, if I do say so myself.  Now, as you can see, this release was also given chrome Aero Disk wheels. Like I said, I feel these are great for classic cars. So I'm happy they were chosen for this '55 Corvette. 

It's also worth mentioning, that this is the older version of this casting. So it's the one with the metal base. Although it's not something I really care about, it is nice to finally have this version of it.


Alright, now it's time to hit the fast forward button, as the next group of vehicles come from the 1960's. And the first one, is the '64 Lincoln Continental Convertible. I actually had the debut release of this casting when I was younger. Sadly, it got lost in a move. So I'm glad I was able to get a new one that's finished in my favorite color at retail cost. 


Although I don't currently have a plain release, I really like the design that was applied to this one. As you can see in the first picture, they used a paint that makes the design become more noticeable when a light is shined on it. Now, you won't be able to see it in my picture, but the top of this release was also decorated. This release also features a light blue interior, which I feel is one of the nice aspects of it.


Up next, are two very nice pony car releases. They are the '65 Ford Mustang Convertible, and the '69 Camaro Convertible. Over the years, both of these castings have had many releases. Unfortunately, I wasn't always into Hot Wheels. When I was younger, I ended up being more into Yugioh, which is why I only have the recent releases of these castings. And when it comes to the Mustang, I only had one release prior to this one. 

Not having many, is why I'm glad they decided to keep things relatively simple for both of these pony cars. In other words, I like how they were given simple stripe designs that are ones you'd expect to see on them. If you've been collecting for many years, then chances are you have a lot of the older releases. So these probably won't excite you as much. However, if you don't have many of them like I don't, then these are going to be perfect additions to your collection. 



Like the first two vehicles I talked about, this release of the '69 Camaro Convertible also has wheels that made me like it even more. From what I can gather, this is the first release of this casting with the Retro Slot wheels. So I feel they help to make this release stand out from all of the older releases.

 

The '67 Ponitac GTO, is the last of the vehicles from the 1960s. For the most part, I have no issue with this release. It was finished in red, and given a nice stripe design like the other vehicles from this set. Now, for some reason, the decision was made to place a silver pinstripe above the black stripe along it's sides. I don't completely dislike it, but I do feel it wasn't really needed. Due to it's shape, the black stripe would have been good enough. I have no other issues with this release besides that, and I do like it more than the Stars and Stripes one that I have. 



Okay, now it's time to take a look at the modern vehicles from this set, and the first one for this post, is the Corvette C6. This is a very welcomed addition to my collection, due to the fact that it's my second one. Black with orange stripes, is what the designers chose to do to its exterior, and I feel it's not a bad color scheme for a Corvette. 


Now, I do have one small issue with the stripe design on this release, and it has to do with the design that was placed on top of it. What I don't like, is how the stripes were only applied to the hood. Although this wasn't an issue with the GTO, I feel this Corvette would have looked a little better if the stripes were also applied to the back half of it. Like I said, it's a small issue, and it doesn't affect how much I like this release. 


Among the modern vehicles from this set, the Porsche Boxster Sypder is one of my favorites. This is because it's the one casting I didn't yet have. It made it's debut back in 2012, and that was also the only time it was in the mainline. It was then used for the 2015 Porsche set, and after that, it disappeared. 


This release is basically a re-release of the debut one that was finished in white. The wheels are the only thing about it that's different. The J5s are a wheel I like, but due to this Porsche being white with a black stripe, I feel black 10SPs are a much better choice . 


Up next, is the '15 Jaguar F-Type Project 7. To be honest, there's not a whole lot I can say about this release. It's basically the same as all the other releases. I don't like speculating, but I'm going to assume that Jaguar is only letting them do a certain design for this car. Of course, I could be wrong, and this could just be what the designers chose to do for this release. I just think it would have been cool to see this car with a different design. Just imagine how cool a Gulf themed one would be. Anyway, despite how I feel, this is still an okay release.



The last of the modern vehicles from this set, is the '17 Pagani Huayra Roadster. This is my second favorite among the modern vehicles, and it's all thanks to the metallic purple that was picked for it's exterior. I honestly couldn't even tell you why, but purple used to be a color that I'd never choose for a vehicle. Nowadays, it's a color I've come to like a whole lot. 


I also like their decision to give this release gold wheels. Exotic cars are already instant show-stoppers, and the best way to get even more attention, is to have a bright wheel color to go with an exterior color that's not common.


Alright, that's all ten of the vehicles from this Convertible Series. Although I have a small issue with the Jaguar's design being the same as it's other releases, I'd still give this set a ten out of ten rating. 

So, which group of vehicles do you like the most? Go ahead and let me know down in the comments section. Well, that's all for this edition of Looking At. Till next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting. And remember, these are just toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment