Sunday, August 29, 2021

My Want List: Matchbox & Hot Wheels - Target Run & Done

Hello everyone! Welcome to a new edition of My Want List. You never know what you'll find when you decide to go on a diecast hunt. Nine times out of ten, I'll arrive to find an empty diecast row, and this is at all of my local stores. As frustrating as that is, I always try to keep my head up. Doing this keeps me looking, which is why I'm usually able to stumble upon something I was looking for. Not too long ago, I decided to check one of my local Targets. I honestly didn't feel like looking that day, but I figured why not. Thankfully I did, because I was able to add some very nice releases to my collection. With that said, let's get started.

In total, I was able to check three more releases off of my want list, and they are from both of Mattel's diecast brands. One of them is from Matchbox, and the other two are from Hot Wheels. I'm going to start with the Matchbox one first, since you already saw what it was in my social media post. 

Earlier this month, I published a post where I talked about this year's Matchbox mix four, as well as some of the releases I wanted from it. Like I said in that post, mix four was mostly hoarded up in my area. That's why it took me so long to get a post out. Anyway, the MR2 and the C8 were the last two mix four releases I needed to find. Well... it might have taken over a month, but I was finally able to find the 1984 Toyota MR2. 


The Toyota MR2, is not a name you really expect to see when you walk down the diecast row. And I really hope that changes now that they've gotten the license to make Toyota's vehicles again. Having this one from Matchbox is nice, and I feel it's time for Hot Wheels to make their own. Now, they did used to have an MR2 casting, and I do have one of it's releases. But that casting was designed to be a rally car. What I want, is for them to make an updated version of it that's not modified. They could also do something completely new by making the third generation MR2. Okay, that's enough about what I'd like to see from Hot Wheels.

The Matchbox designers chose to make different versions of this casting. I'm sure everyone knows about this already. I mean... mix four is basically old news now. Anyway, I initially though it was just two, but that appears to not be the case. Supposedly, there are four different versions. The headlight variants were the ones I knew about, but it looks like they also created an interior variation as well. 


The variant I got has the headlights up, and is right-hand drive. I know it all comes down to personal preference, but I feel this is the best one. For me, the headlights being up helps to highlight the vehicle design styles of the era. And when it comes to the interior, being right-hand drive makes this version a true JDM. I will definitely keep my eye out for the other variations, but I might not find anymore at this point. Although I have the one I want, it would be cool to see them together, but I'm not going to go out of my way to search for them. 



Alright, now it's time to move onto the releases from Hot Wheels. As you know, Hot Wheels is currently making replicas of the vehicles from the Netflix Fast and Furious Spy Racers series. These models are mostly sold at Target, however, some of them have also been placed into the mainline. Although the ones at Target don't have a visible interior, they do have a moving feature, and that's what makes them cool. 

Not too long ago, Hot Wheels released a new assortment of them, and it finally showed up at one of my local Target locations. This new assortment only had two that were new. They are the off-road versions of the Astana Hotto and the Rally Baja Crawler. The rest of the ones from this assortment are repeats. Personally, this assortment would have been much better if it had more than two new releases. But I guess having repeats is good for those of you that might have missed out on getting one of the older replicas.



If you were to ask me which of the three off-road versions I liked the most, I'd tell you that it's the Baja Crawler. The Thresher and the Astana Hotto are cool, but nothing beats the army look of the Baja Crawler, and it's further complemented by the tank tracks. At the end of the day, I'm just happy to see a continued production of these replicas. 



Okay, that's everything I was able to find. Unfortunately, I'm still missing the C8 from mix four. But at this point, I'm ready to move on. I know there's a chance I could still find it, but since I do have one that's finished in my favorite color, I'm not going to specifically look for it. 

So, are you also collecting the Fast and Furious Spy Racers vehicles? Go ahead and let me know down in the comments section. Alright, that's all for this edition of My Want List. Till next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting. And remember, these are just toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment