Thursday, August 12, 2021

My Want List: 2021 Hot Wheels Case L - Part 1

Alright everyone, welcome to a new edition of My Want List. I don't know about you, but this year seems to be going by fast, and that's especially true for this year's Hot Wheels mainline. It seems like it was just yesterday that I was writing about what I wanted from case B, and now I'm writing about the what I wanted from case L. Now, as you can see, this is going to be another multi-part edition of My Want List. Sometimes, a case will only have a few things that I want, however, this case had a lot. As such, I've decided to limit how many releases I talk about in each part. So with that being said, let's begin.

When you combine the magic of Disney and the awesomeness of Hot Wheels, you get the Disney Steamboat. I'm actually surprised this wasn't made three years ago. Back then, Hot Wheels released a Mickey Mouse themed set to go along with the 90th anniversary of the character. The '32 Ford was one of the models in it, and it featured a Steamboat Willie theme. So I feel 2018 would have been the best year to make this. Although, it's always better late than never.


This is honestly a very cool casting. In fact, I feel it's as cool and unique as the Yellow Sub. Castings like this, continue to be why I love the Screen Time mainline set. 


As I've said in many post now, I like having at least one plain release of every casting that I like. And that's exactly why I instantly added this year's Nissan Silvia (S13) to my want list. Don't get me wrong, the debut release is still very cool, since it is based on an actual car. But after I got it, I was left wondering if they were ever going to release one without a design. I had a feeling they would, but you can never be too sure. There was a chance I'd have to wait many years for one. Thankfully I didn't have to, because they planned to release one this year. 


Although it wasn't finished in my favorite color, I can truly say that I like this release. Red with white wheels, is not a bad combination at all. And it's great how they chose to give it the J5 wheels, which are a very cool wheel, if I do say so myself. I really couldn't have asked for a better plain release of this casting. Of course, I'll probably end up saying that about a future release.


I'm sure you all know this already, but this was one of the first-to-market releases that went to Target. That's why I'm talking about it in a case L post. It's actual release will be case M. 


Up next, is another release that I instantly put onto my case L want list. That release, is the '71 Plymouth Road Runner from this year's Muscle Mania set. Oh yes! That's the first thing I said when I saw pictures of it going around the internet. As usual, there are reasons as to why I got excited. One of those reasons, has to do with the fact that I didn't have that many of these in my collection. The two debut colors from 2012 as well as the one from the 2018 Mopar set, were the only three I had. It's a shame this casting isn't used more.

The next reason for my excitement, has to do with the design choices made for it. It was finished in blue, which is a huge plus, and it was given a cool stripe design. Yellow and red, are the two colors that were utilized for it. In my opinion, the shades of these colors picked combine well with the blue that was picked for it's exterior.


The wheels are another one of the design choices that made me want this release. As you can see, the decision was made to give it chrome Retro Slot wheels. For those of you that didn't know, these wheels were initially only used for a series called Cool Classic. And now, they are using them for their mainline cars. These wheels are so cool, and they helped to make this release perfect. 


The fourth car for this post, is the Mercedes-Benz 300 SL. I didn't think they were going to use this casting for the mainline. I, for one, thought it was only going to be used for premium sets, which would have been fine. But I'm very happy with their decision. 

Now, even though I'm happy that it's in the mainline, I can't say that I'm exactly happy with the design choices made for this release. I'm sure all of you remember the Team Transport release of this casting. Well, the decision was made to once again make this casting feature an IWC Racing livery. There are some noticeable differences between this and the premium one, but I would have liked to have seen something different. I know there's going to be more of these going forward, so I just have to wait for one with a new livery. Personally, the next one doesn't have to be based on an actual one. I'd be happy with one that has a racing number and a simple stripe design. To be fair, this isn't a bad release, and it's great for those of you that couldn't get the Team Transport release.


It's worth mentioning, that I like how they decided to decorated the top of this release. They could have left the top of it plain, since it is a mainline after all, but I'm glad they didn't. Having the decoration on the hood, helps to further make this a great release for those of you that missed the Team Transport one.  



Up next, is the recolor of the '67 Ford GT40 MK IV. The excitement of seeing this casting for the first time has yet to wear off. As you've probably seen, I ended up getting an extra red one to open and have out on display. That's how much I love this casting. Now, as happy as I am to see another color release, I do have one minor issue with the design. And I think you already know what that is. I mean, I can't be the only one that would have preferred for the racing number to be changed to the number 2. So despite liking the color, I just can't bring myself to say that it's a perfect release. Some of you might think the number being the same is trivial, but it's not for me.   



The last model for this post, is a brand new GT-R casting, and I'm sure it's the one of the stars from this case. LB-Silhouette Works GT Nissan 350GT-RR Ver 2, is the name of this casting, and this is the only time I'm ever going to type it's long name. In fact, I think I'm going to just call it the Liberty Walk GT-R in all future post. Anyway, I'm really happy with how Hot Wheels has obtained the license to use actual body kits. As you know, I'm someone who has always liked the look of cars with nice looking kits. Back in the day, it was Wings West, and now it's Pandem as well as Liberty Walk.   


Just look as this thing! Words can't describe how awesome this casting is, and it's great that it's a mainline car. Now, after I got this release, I decided to search Liberty Walk Silhouette GTR on Google. While scrolling through the images, I came across a picture of one that has "Calsonic" where they put "LBWK" on this release. It also has a blue and black paint scheme like this one. Furthermore, the racing number is the same. So this is basically a replica, and it's a flawless one at that.  


I also like this casting's other features. What I'm talking about, are the sides rear view mirrors as well as the headlights, which are a separate piece.



Okay, I'm going to end this first part here. Feel free to let me know your thoughts on the models featured in this post. Well, that's all for today. Till tomorrow, thanks for reading, and happy collecting. And remember, these are just toys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment