Saturday, August 7, 2021

My Want List: 2021 Hot Wheels Case J & Case K - Finally Found More

Alright everyone, welcome to a new edition of My Want List. If you were one of the ones that read my case J and K posts, then you already know how I still needed a to find a few more releases. Well... it took a while, but I was finally able to track them down. Sadly, I'm still missing the Treasure Hunt from case K. I know I've said I don't make those a priority, but there's a reason why I wanted it. If I'm ever able to find it, then you see why in a Today On The Boulevard post. Anyway, that's neither here nor there. For today, let's just focus on the four I was able to find.

Two of the releases in this post are from case J, and now that I have them, my case J want list is complete. So I figured I'd talk about those first, then I'll get to the last two, which are from case K.

I'm going to go ahead and start with the Porsche 356 Outlaw. I actually have just about every release of this casting. Currently, I'm only missing two, and they are both multi-pack releases.  Like I said in a recent post, I don't typically get those packs due to the small number of releases that I'd actually want. Anyway, this year's 356 is pretty cool. I love how they chose to give it the iconic Gulf livery.

Over the year's, Hot Wheels has released a few different Gulf themed Super Treasure Hunts, and to be honest, I still don't care for them too much. I mean... obviously I wouldn't leave one if I found it. I just don't feel the need to specifically look for them. For me, it all comes down to the paint. I've always felt that the one used for the regular was closer to the blue that's used for the real livery, and I continue to feel that way today. So I have no issue with only having the regular versions of these Gulf themed releases.


I really love how they chose to also decorate the top of this 356. It features a stripe that continues onto the roof, the Gulf logo, and the racing number. All of these additional details help to make the overall livery look more complete, and I especially like how they added the number.  



The next release I was finally able to get, is the Falken Tire themed '69 Copo Camaro, which just so happens to be another regular version of a special release. Before I get to that, I need to mention how I'm happy to see this casting in the mainline. As you know, this casting made it's debut last years as an id releases. So I really hope to see many cool future releases of it in the mainline, and hopefully we'll also get a plain one that's finished in a great color.

So, like the Porsche, this too is a regular of a special release. Like it's debut release, the special version of this release is an id. This might be shocking to some, but I feel the same way about Falken themed special releases. Once again, it has to do to the paint. Sure, I'll admit that Spectraflame colors are nice, but I like when a replica features accurate colors. And I feel the blue used for the other version is a little too dark.  


Although the front end is plain, I really like how they made it so the livery covers most of this release's front half. Due to this being a $1 mainline, I really can't complain about the front end being left plain. I'm just happy to have another release with this livery. 

Okay, now it's time to move onto the next two releases I got. Like I said, they are from this year's case K. Not only are they both JDMs, they are also Hondas. This is why I had such a hard time finding them. Anyway, I'm going to share my thoughts on the one that's new first, then I'll get to the other one.

I'm actually quite happy with how both of Mattel's diecast brands have given us new Honda models to collect. And their Hot Wheels brand has been on a roll lately. As you know, they've given us the very cool '88 CR-X and the '98 Honda Prelude. And now, they've given us a Custom '70 Honda N600 in this year's HW J-Imports mainline series. 

I think they did a pretty good job with the design on this casting. It might be a custom, but none of it's exterior mods are too wild. I can honestly say that I like how this car looks with the custom fenders. Overall, it's a really cool casting.


I'm sure there's going to be a future release with number circle or some kind of racing design, and that's fine. But I'm glad they chose to make this debut release plain, and I'm very happy with the exterior color they picked for it. I'm not sure if it was available for the real car, but I feel cream yellow is a great color for it. I also like how they chose to give it a red interior. 




The last car I was able to get, is the 2018 Honda Civic Type R. Like the first two vehicles in this post, this too is a regular of a special release. One of the other reasons why I don't mind having the regular version of Supers, is because they are usually only missing the details that are applied to the top. For the most part, I really don't care. Fortunately, some of the regulars do receive top half details, and this just so happens to be one of them. The roof is the only section that wasn't decorated, and that's totally fine by me. A decorated hood is better than nothing. 


After doing my usual Google search, I found out that this release is based on a actual car. Although I appreciate the details that were added to this release, I do have a critical opinion of it. Based on the car I found a picture of, this release should have been given some additional decals on it's rear passenger doors. I know they don't have the license to use Varis or Bride, but they do still have the license to use Yokohama. So I feel they could have at least added that company's decal to it. 

I'm sure most of you will like how the Super has the six-spoke wheels, which I'll admit look cool on this casting. However, those aren't exactly accurate. The car this release is based on, actually has five-spoke wheels. The only difference, is that they aren't split five-spoke wheels like the one used for this release. But, at the end of the day, that's okay because they are still five-spoke wheels nonetheless. So that's another reason why I don't mind having this one. 



Okay, that's all four of the releases I was finally able to check off of my want list. I still can't believe how long it too me to find them. But I guess it's better late than never. Overall, I'm very pleased with how these models look. In fact, I'd probably give all of them a solid ten if they were featured in a White Booth Wednesday post. 

I'm sure all of these are loved by everyone, so I'm not going to ask how you felt about them. Now, if you don't like them, then feel free to let me know down in the comments section. Well, that's all for this edition of My Want List. Till next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting. And remember, these are just toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment