Monday, July 12, 2021

Today On The Boulevard: When A Diecast Hunt Is Successful

Hi everyone! Welcome to another edition of Today On The Boulevard. You know that feeling you get when you go on a diecast hunt, and you're able to find that one piece you were missing from an assortment? I'm going to assume you do. I, for one, got to experience that feeling again. I love when I don't have to possibly turn to the secondary for a specific release. Now, in total, I was able to find four releases from various assortments that I had on my want list. Two of them are from Matchbox, and the other two are from Hot Wheels. Sometimes, it really does pay to just have a little patience. Alright, I'm going to go ahead and start with the Matchbox finds first.

The first release for today's post, is the Honda CVCC from this year's Matchbox basic mix 3. If you read my last mix 3 post where I found the Chevy Nova and the Dodge Sweptside Pickup, then you already know how I feel about this release. Although I decided to acquire it, I still think the debut release looks better. I won't deny the fact that this car looks a-okay finished in white, I just currently prefer how it looks finished in yellow. I also like how the first one was given a beige interior.



One thing that I do like about this release, is that it features a license plate like the yellow one. And what's great, is that the Matchbox designers chose to make it say something different. 


This next one is apart of the recent Matchbox Collectors Series mix 2. The release in question, is none other than the Porsche 550 Spyder. Due to it being the kind of car that it is, it was obviously one of the main ones I wanted from mix 2. I had actually almost gave up on wanting it. Now, in case you didn't know, I do have the light blue release of this casting. I never actually saw it on the pegs in any of my local stores, and I only got it because I ordered a case online. So I assumed that was going to be the case with this Collectors Series release. Thankfully, I didn't have to order a case to get this one.

When I reviewed the one from last year, one of the last thing's I said about it, was how I hoped to see many great releases of it. I also said, that it might be cool if we got a racing themed one. At the time, I didn't want one that was too crazy. I just wanted it to have a simple theme that featured a racing number and a stripe. Well... this one doesn't feature a racing number, but it does feature a simple stripe that's based on the stripe that's seen on some of the real 550 Spyders. So I think we can all agree that this is another flawless release of this casting. 



Alright, now it's time to talk about the two Hot Wheels releases, and I'm going to start with the one that I wanted from case C. I think you already know which one I was missing. If you thought I was talking about the Hello Kitty Kool Kombi, then you are correct. This release was extremely hard to find. In fact, I still can't believe I was able to acquire it.

I don't know about your local stores, but a lot of the ones in my area keep getting a huge amount of older cases. I actually like when this happens, because this is usually when everything gets put on the pegs. This ultimately makes it so I have a better chance at getting releases that I couldn't find. And I believe that's how I was able to finally get this Kool Kombi.


Now, if I had to give my opinion of this release, then I'd say that it's pretty good. I like how it doesn't feature a wild design. Simple is more than good enough for a Hello Kitty themed diecast model, and I feel the design created for this one is a-okay. All you really need is the Hello Kitty's face, and many collectors, as well as fans of the franchise, will consider it to be a flawless model. I'm sure you all remember the pink Civic with this character. All it really had was the Hello Kitty's face, and the release sold like hot cakes. Although... some of it's success had to do with the fact that it's a JDM. 


The Tred Shredder, which is the Treasure Hunt from case F, is the second Hot Wheels release I was able to find. As you know, I usually don't make these type of releases a priority. But this was the one rare time where I decided to add a Treasure Hunt to my want list. Initially, I wasn't into this casting. It's was back in 2019 when I finally decided to add one of these to my collection. At the time, I figured my collection needed to have some more motorcycles. So I took the opportunity to acquire the yellow one when it was released. Since then, it's become a casting that I'll add to the want list.

Since I only had one, I was a little disappointed when I found out that this one was going to be a Treasure Hunt. I feel I was only able to get this release for the same reason why I was able to get the Kool Kombi. By the time I found it, most folks were waiting for case G. 

Now, if you were to ask me how I felt about this release, then I'd tell you that I instantly fell in love with it the moment I saw pictures of it. This is due to fact that it's finished in blue, and features a very cool design. 


Okay, that's all four of the release I was finally able to find. I know all of these are old news now, so I appreciate you taking the time to read this post. Feel free to let me know how you felt about these down in the comments section. Alright, that's all for this edition of Today on the Boulevard. Till next time, happy collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment