Friday, July 9, 2021

My Want List: Matchbox Retro Series Third Assortment - Much Better

Hello, and welcome to today's edition of My Want List. Last month, I published a post where I talked about two diecast assortments that I wasn't impressed with. One of the ones I talked about, was the second Matchbox Retro Series assortment. Even though I got three of the models from it, I only really liked two of them. Thankfully, things are a little different with this third assortment. 

Although I didn't end up getting all six of the models from this assortment, I do feel it's much better than the second one. In total, there were four models that made it to my want list. Furthermore, two of them are new to my collection, which is one of the reasons why I had to get them. Alright, that's enough for this intro. Let's go over what I got. 

Since you saw it in one of my social media post (Twitter or Pinterest), I'm going to talk about the '71 Chevy Chevelle first. If you've been collecting for a long time, then this release is nothing new. Basically, it's a re-release of the one from 2008. As such, you probably aren't as excited about it as I am. In fact, you probably feel the same way I did about the '70 Datsun 510 Rally from the last Retro Series assortment. That too is a re-release, and unlike this Chevelle, it's a re-release of one that I actually have. Now that I got that out of the way, it's time for me to share my opinion of it. 

Good golly miss molly, this is one beautiful Chevelle! That is the first thing that cames to mind when I saw this release. To be honest, I actually never knew Matchbox had a convertible '71 Chevelle casting. So, most of my excitement about this release, comes from the fact that it's something new in my collection. The rest of my excitement about this release, comes from the fact that they chose to use the 2008 release's color scheme. If you ask me, teal green with white stripes is a fantastic color scheme for a convertible Chevy Chevelle.


Not everything from the Retro Series is a re-release. Some of the models from this series feature new designs. So this series will be the only way to get a certain casting with a certain color scheme or design. With that said, let's get to the next three I got.

Dat van life yo! That's right, the next one I got from this assortment, is the '75 Chevy Van. This is a really cool casting, and it's the second one that's new to my collection. I'm so glad I don't have to turn to Ebay just to get one. Now, the casting itself isn't the only reason why I added this it to my want list. If it's exterior featured a design or color scheme I didn't like, then I definitely wouldn't have gotten it. But, as you can see, I had it on my want list. So obviously, I like what was done to it. 

Besides the light blue exterior color, I really like the Hawaiian styled design that was created for this release. The sides of it also feature "tiki cruiser," which I feel is a rad name for this rad van. I will admit that I still very much admire some of the cool stripe designs that were created for some of the older releases. However, this release's design is a-okay. 


Up next, is the '76 Volkswagen Golf MK1. I'm glad to finally have a second one of these in my collection. I really wasn't into the last release of this casting. As you know, it was given a police theme. Every now and then, I do decided to add a police car to my collection, so I don't dislike them. I just didn't feel the need to acquire a police themed Golf MK1. Alright, that's enough about that release. Let me get back to this Retro Series one. 

Once again, the Matchbox designers chose to create a design for this casting. Although I don't necessarily have an issue with this decision, I do think it would have been nice to finally see one that's plain. I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed. You have to admit that this casting will look just fine without a design. Anyway, the design created for this release is pretty simple, but there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, I feel it's the type of design that you'd see on a rally car. I also like how the design features a team name. 



The Volkswagen Beetle 4X4, is the fourth and final vehicle I got from this assortment. Obviously, this was one of the hardest ones to find. And despite taking a long time, I remained persistent in my search for it. It's one of those store exclusive releases that I had to have. As you know, a lot of older castings don't get used as much, which is why I don't have that many releases of certain castings. So, when one is finally released again, I'll try my hardest to find it. And I definitely needed to find this one, since I only really like one of the ones that I have. Okay, let me move onto how I feel about this one.

Fantastic! This release is absolutely fantastic, and it's all thanks to the unique mix of colors that were picked for it. I love off-road Beetles with flashy color schemes, and this one is as flashy as it gets. A pink exterior combined with a multi-colored stripe design, is one way to make a release of a casting stand out (in a good way) from the other releases of it.     



The Ford Mustang LX and the Water Worker, are the other two models in this assortment. The state trooper themed release from the 2019 Matchbox Ford Mustang set, is the one Mustang LX I have. So I really don't need this police themed one. The Water Worker is simply not a casting I care for. In fact, I don't even know why it was picked for a Retro Series assortment. There are so many other older less used matchbox castings that could have been picked instead.

I'm curious to see what they'll pick for the last assortment. As you know, this year's Retro Series set is going to have a total of twenty-four models, and we've now seen eighteen of them. I just hope the last assortment has lots of cool releases like this one.

Alright, so how did you feel about this third assortment? Go ahead and let me know down in the comments section. Well, that's all for this edition of My Want List. Till next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment