Monday, July 19, 2021

Diecast 5-Packs Are The Only Way

Hello, and welcome to today's post. It's not often you see 5-packs featured here on the BLVD. This is obviously because most of them have releases that I don't care for. This isn't always the case though. Sometimes, Mattel's brands will release one with vehicles that I just have to have. The Lamborghini 5-pack is a perfect example of this. I just never got around to making a post about it. Anyway, today I decided that it was time to show two of my recent 5-pack purchases. 

Besides having releases that I like, these packs will also sometimes have ones that I'm missing. That is the reason for the name of this post. As you know, some castings just aren't used as much anymore. So these packs offer me the opportunity to get what I'm missing without having to turn to the secondary. 

Now, like I said, I ended up getting two new 5-packs. One of them is from Hot Wheels, while the other one is from Matchbox. I'm going to go ahead and talk about the Hot Wheels one first, since that's the one you saw in my social media post.

So as you already know, the Fast and Furious themed 5-pack is the Hot Wheels one I got. The 350Z from Tokyo Drift, was one of the movie replicas I was missing, and it's the main reason why I got this pack. I'll be honest, it's kind of annoying how this car hasn't been released by itself again. I mean... just look at how many times Brain's Skyline has had individual releases. Anyway, this pack might have cost me five dollars, but I was not going to miss the opportunity to finally add this car to my Fast and Furious collection. It's a lot better than having to get one off of Ebay. 


This pack also contains the Ford GT-40, which just so happens to be one of the other ones I wanted. I technically wasn't missing this movie replica. The other one in my collection is from 2016, and it was finished in a very dark blue. There's nothing wrong with it, I just think this one's bright blue exterior color is a little more accurate. 

The other cars in this pack are as follows: the red '61 Impala, the green '72 Ford Gran Torino, and the green Lancer Evolution 7. I already have all of these replicas. Furthermore, if you're not new to the BLVD, then you already know how I have the premium versions of the Impala and the Torino.  


Alright, now it's time to talk about the Matchbox pack I got. As you might already know, Matchbox has  recently release two new five-packs that are overall pretty good. One of them is called Wagons, while the other one is called City Drivers. The Wagons pack seems to have been the one that everyone in my area wanted. This made it easier for me to get the City Drivers pack, which is the one I really wanted. 

Similar to the Hot Wheels pack, this too has one car that I was technically missing. The car in question, is the '65 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA. I actually have all of the current releases of the Hot Wheels version, which is why I said I was technically missing it. But as as you know, this Matchbox casting is the stock version of the car. 

Taking a look at some of the older releases, I noticed how all of them were either red or white. I'm assuming it had to do with the legal agreement between Mattel and Alfa Romeo. I don't want to speculate though. Whatever issue they had before, no longer appears to be the case, because this one was finished in silver.  

 
It's worth noting, that the other vehicles in this pack aren't bad at all. As you can see, the Infinity G37 Coupe, is another one of the releases in this pack. To my surprise, there really has been that many releases of this casting. In fact, this year's release is the third one, and it's the second one in my collection. There's no telling if they're ever going to release another one of these in their mainline. And, if I didn't already have the 2016 release, this would have been my first one. So this is another example of a 5-pack being the only way to get a certain release. 

The next release from this pack, is the 1999 Chevy Silverado 4x4. This is another casting I was missing. It might not be plain, but I do like the auto parts shop theme that was created for it. 


The 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback and Cliff Hanger, are the last two from this pack. The Civic is nice because it's finished in my favorite color. The Cliff Hanger is the only one from this pack that I really don't care for. Although... I will admit that it's not a bad looking release of it. So I don't mind the decision to include it. 


Okay, that's both of the packs I got. I do have one last thing I'd like to say about the Fast and furious pack. Personally, I wouldn't have picked the Impala. It's a nice replica, but things are starting to get a little repetitive. This is the third time this basic one was released. The other two were both released in 2019. I know one has a white interior, while the other has a black interior like this one. So they are not necessarily the same. I just think it's time for something new. But, I guess this is a good thing for those of you that missed out on getting them the first time. 

So, what are your thoughts on these 5-packs? And which ones did you decide to get? Go ahead and let me know down in the comments section. Alright, that's all for this post. Until next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment