Friday, June 25, 2021

Today On The Boulevard: 2021 Matchbox Mix 3 - Found Two More

Alright everyone, welcome to another edition of Today On The Boulevard. If you read my Matchbox mix 3 three post, then you might remember what I said in the intro. If not, then let me jog your memory. Basically, I said that I would make a Today On The Boulevard post about the other mix three releases I couldn't find. Well... here's that post. So with that being said, let's get started.

In total, there were three releases from this mix that I still needed to find. Of the three, I was able to find two. The only one I'm missing now, is the white Honda CVCC. To be honest with you though, I really don't care if I'm unable to find it. White is an okay color for it, but I think the yellow one is better. Now, if I do happen to find it, I may or may not make a post about it. Now then, let's move onto the two I was able to get.

The first release for today's post, is the 1979 Chevy Nova, which is the one you saw in my social media post. When I think of a 1:64 scale Chevy Nova, the first thing that comes to mind, are the various 1960s models. I never thought I'd see a '79 model year from one of Mattel's diecast brands. I don't know about you, but I love Matchbox because they give us stock looking diecast models. And that's why I'm glad Matchbox is the brand that's doing this car. 

I'm sure you all know how this car had a sedan version available. Thankfully, Matchbox made the coupe version. Four-door cars are okay, but nothing beats two-door cars, and the coupe version of this Nova model year looks way better than the sedan. Had Matchbox made the sedan version instead, I'd probably be talking about how I'd hope to see the coupe version from Hot Wheels.  


I don't think I have to say it, but this first release is flawless. I love it's light blue exterior color. The designers also made the decision to put white stripes on it's hood. In my opinion, this Nova looks a-okay with the hood stripes, but I do hope the next release of it is plain. 

The next release I got, is the 1957 Dodge Sweptside Pickup. Beautiful! That's all I can say about this one. I was speechless when I first saw pictures of it, and my jaw dropped when I found it. Like classic cars, I also really love the the look of classic pickup trucks. I especially love the ones from the 1950s. Last year, Matchbox gave us the cool 1956 Powell Sport Pickup, and now, they gave us this beautiful Dodge.

I absolutely love the color scheme that was picked of this first release. Cream and red, is one of the many color combinations that will work for a vehicle from the 1950s. I should also mention that it's exterior was finished in matte cream. Regular paint finishes are nice, but there's way less Mattel made releases with matte finishes. So basically, that's why my jaw dropped when I found it. I had no idea they chose to use a matte paint for this release. 


The next thing I want to talk about, are it's wheels. Now, I have no issue with the ones that were picked, as they are the best possible wheels for this casting. And I think we can all agree that they are period correct. Anyway, I wish Matchbox had a basic whitewall wheel like Hot Wheels. Since Matchbox is currently making beautiful classics from the 1950s, I feel they need to have a wheel like that. The appearance of this casting, as well as their '33 Ford Coupe, would benefit greatly from having a whitewall wheel. 

No details were applied to the front and rear of this first release. At the end of the day, that's perfectly fine by me, because the details along it's sides are good enough.

Classics like these two, are why I'm glad I found the white Alfa Romeo 4c, and the red Mazda Miata in the Dollar Tree many years ago. Had I not ended up there, I probably would have never got into Matchbox. And I would have gone through life missing out on all these nice models.

Okay... these two are most likely everyone's favorites from this mix. So I'm not going to ask which one you like the most. Alright, that's all for this edition of Today On The Boulevard. Until next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment