Friday, May 28, 2021

Today On The Boulevard: Hot Wheels Toyota AE86

Alright everyone, welcome to another edition of Today On The Boulevard. If you read my case F review last month, then you probably remember how I said that I'd post about the recolor of the AE86 if I found it. Well... it took some time, but I was finally able to find it. So as promised, here's the post.

Now that I have this one, I'm not entirely sure which release I like the most.The first release is still very nice due to it featuring the main colors that are used for the Falken Tire livery. However, I will admit that it's cool to see how the livery looks in a different color. And I'm sure most of you will agree that black and white is a pretty cool color combination for it.  

I also like how this recolor features all of the real-life aftermarket sponsor decals that were applied to the first release. A perfect example of these details being removed, is seen with the 2019 Nightburnerz release of the '85 Honda City Turbo. It's first color featured Bisimoto and PurOl, while it's second color did not. So I'm glad none of the decals were removed from this second AE86. 


As you know, the first release's hood received a matte black tampo coating. This of course, makes it look like it has a carbon fiber hood. That detail does look cool with the Falken colors, but I think this release looks just fine without it. I mean... the hood is black, but it's just not flat black. Furthermore, being the same paint as the rest of the car helps to make this re-color stand out from the first one.

Some of you out there might prefer a diecast model with a livery that looks complete. Especially when that livery is based on an actual one. So you probably would have liked this one better if white was applied to the hood, as well as the front half of the bumper. I too think the livery would have looked more complete that way. But at the end of the day, it is kind of nice having a Falken Tire themed release that looks like this. In other words, I kind of like how the white section of this one's livery is only on it's sides and roof.


I also want to make mention of how I appreciate the choice of colors for this one's OH5 wheels. Since this release was changed to black and white, the designers could have chose to also make the wheels the same color. If you have the 2013 reverse panda release of the original casting, then you know exactly what I'm talking about. Thankfully, that's not the case with this re-color. In my opinion, black with a chrome rim is a much better wheel color than black with a white rim.
 
Alright everyone, what are your thoughts on this release? Feel free to let me know down in the comments section. Okay, that's all for this edition of Today On The Boulevard. Until next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment