Monday, April 5, 2021

My Want List: 2021 Matchbox Retro Series - First Mix

Welcome to today's edition of My Want List. Matchbox has decided to continue their Target only Retro Series, and I can honestly say that I'm glad because last year's set turned out great. Now unlike the first set, this set is going to have a total of twenty-four models. In my opinion, this is great news. So without further ado, let's get this post started. 

The Mitsubishi Eclipse is the first model for today's review. This casting made it's debut all the way back in 2005, and it was one that I didn't yet have. So I'm glad Matchbox decided to use it again. Now since I am no expert, I will admit that I didn't know much about this casting. All I knew was that it was shaped like a fourth gen Eclipse. But what I couldn't figure out, was why the top of it has a silver section, which the fourth gen doesn't have. So it was once again time to do some homework. 

From what I can gather, this casting is based on the Mitsubishi Eclipse Concept E. Based on the pictures I'm seeing, the real concept car was finished in a reddish orange. I believe the color is called sunset pearlescent. Anyway, this Matchbox release of it was finished in a metallic red that I think looks just as good. The color isn't too bright, and it's not too dark either.


The real concept car is seen with nine spoke wheels, while this release was given five spoke wheels. These aren't bed, but I do wish Matchbox had more wheels to choose from. It would be nice if they also had a ten spoke wheel like Hot Wheels. Better yet, it would be cool if they had an actual nine spoke wheel.

One of the things that I like about the real concept, is how it was given white seats. Although I don't have an issue with the choice to give this release a black interior, I do think it would have been cool if they gave it a white interior instead. 



The next model from this mix that I got, is the Volkswagen Transporter Crew Cab. This casting has had some okay releases since it's 2016 debut, and I think this one is just as good. In fact, due to my personal preferences, I think this one is better than the debut release. Most of you might disagree, which is fine, but I just never fully liked the bike tours theme. 

This release was given a design, and I like how it's not anything wild. The overall design consist of four stripes that run along it's sides. Yellow, black, maroon, and white, are the colors that were picked for it. These are an okay mixture of colors, if I do say so myself. I also think they combine well with the orange that was used for this release's exterior color.


As you all know, this casting's previous releases had two different bed variations. I'm not entirely sure if this is the case for this release, so you're going to have to try and find this out for yourself. I actually don't have a problem with either version. 


As you can see, white disk wheels are what the designers chose for this release. In my opinion, these are the best wheels for this version. I think this casting looks the best when it's wheels are the same as the spare that's featured in the bed. I wouldn't care for the wheel choice as much if this was the other version with nothing in the bed.



Up next, is one that I'm sure most of you will love. The '71 Nissan Skyline 2000 GTX is the next model from this first mix. You can always count on Matchbox to release a model that has an interesting appearance. And you know what, that's a good thing because it makes it so we have some neat models to collect. The decisions made for the exterior color, as well as the design, helped to make this a very unique 2000 GTX. . 

Starting with the exterior color, the designers chose to paint this release pink. I mean... how often is it that we get a pink diecast Hakosuka. The PEZ themed one from M2, is the last one I got. This color alone made this a must get for me. The design on it consist of a bunch of yellow, purple, and turquoise octagons that have a silver outline. I never thought I'd see a Skyline decorated like this, but hey, nothing is impossible with diecast cars. It's unique releases like this that make me stop and appreciate companies like Mattel and their brands.

Now I think we can all agree that too much of anything is never good. So that's why I think it's great that the design was only applied to it's sides. As much as I like the design, I feel it would have been excessive to add it to the top of this release. 


This is another one of those Matchbox castings that's two different versions. So just like the Volkswagen, I'm not entirely sure if this release is going to have the variation. So once again, you're going to have to try and find this out for yourself. For those of you that didn't know, the variation has to do with the interior piece. One has a seat belts, while the other has stock seats. The variation also has a different engine, which is seen when you take it apart.



Next up, is the 1972 Ford Bronco 4X4. There are a few reasons as to why I instantly added this release to my want list. The biggest reason has to do with the fact that I literally only had one other release of it before this one. It's the Skyjacker themed one from 2018. I know there were three more releases after that one, but I didn't get them. I didn't like the theme of the first two, and the third one was released in a Top Gun Five pack that I decided not to get. On a side note, I didn't get the pack due to the fifth vehicle being the Swing Wing. Since I already had the bigger Top Gun models, there was no need for that jet.

If you've read some of my older post, then you'd know that I like to have at least one plain release of every casting I like. So that brings me to the next reason for adding this to my want list. This release has no design. In fact, that's the reason why I was initially going to try and get the Top Gun one. 


The exterior color is the next reason why I instantly added this release to my want list. The Matchbox designers chose to use a beautiful shade of metallic purple. I know I liked the Top Gun one due to it's blue exterior, but I will admit that I like this one's color better.      



The Chevy K-1500 is the fifth model from this mix that I got. The Matchbox Retro Series doesn't just feature unique releases like the Skyline, it also features releases that are replicas of a release from many years ago. This basically makes it so we can have an older one without having to turn to the secondary market. With that said, this release is a replica of the one that was released in 1998. 

I really appreciate Matchbox deciding to use the design that was applied to the 1998 release. The other release of this casting that I have, is from the 2018 Chevy Trucks 100 Years set. The design on that one is cool, but I like this one better. So this release is now my favorite. 


One of the other good things about these being done, is that we get to see how an older release would look with modern wheels. In my opinion, the eight spoke wheels used for this one, look much better than the wheels that were used for the 1998 release. 



The 1960 Jeep 4X4 is the last one from this mix that I got. As you all know, this casting was also used for last year's Matchbox Retro Series. And like that one, this too is based on an older release. Back in 2009, Matchbox released a five pack that was called Desert Adventure. This release is basically a re-release of the one from that pack. 

Since I don't have that five pack, this was a must get. I remember how disappointed I was when I found out the original was from a five pack. Coming across altered five packs in my local stores has made me shy away from getting them off the secondary. So I'm glad Matchbox gave collectors like me the chance to own this cool release in it's own pack. 
 

I'm glad nothing was really changed, because I liked how the 2009 release looked with it's exterior color, design, and wheels. The lack of the antenna is the only thing that's different between the two. I personally think this casting looks better without the antenna. 



It's worth noting that this isn't everything that's included in this first mix. The last model is a '63 Cadillac Ambulance. It's not a bad looking release, but I just didn't feel the need to add it to my collection.

So how do you feel about this first mix? Did you get everything, or were there only certain models you wanted? Feel free to let me know down in the comments section. Alright, that's all for this edition of My Want List. Until next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment