Sunday, April 4, 2021

Today On The Boulevard: Hot Wheels Spring Set - My thoughts On The Two I Got

Alright everyone, it's once again time for another edition of Today On The Boulevard. I usually don't make too much of an effort to try and find some of the themed sets from Hot Wheels. This is simply because I don't always like the casting choices, or what was done to them. Now recently, I stumbled upon the newest Spring Time set, and there were two models that piqued my interest. Now as cool as they are, I do have a small issue with one of the two that I got. So with that being said, let's get started.

Now to start things off, I figured that I'd go ahead and talk about the Nissan Fairlady Z first, since I don't have an issue with it. The best thing about this release for me, is it's exterior color. The card art shows it finished in yellow, while the actual release is finished in a color that I'd best describe as being banana yellow. 


Due to it's color, I decided to nickname this release The Banana Z. I think it's a very fitting nickname for this cool release, if I do say so myself. All jokes aside, I feel this is one fantastic looking color, and I think it helps to make this release stand out from some of the other releases of this casting.

The design applied to it is not bad at all, and I love the colors that were picked for it. Although blue and orange are a bit on the wild side, I feel they mix really well with the yellow. Aside from the colors, I also like how the "spring 2021" decal is small. This kind of detail being big, is one of the reasons why I don't always go for these sets. Personally, these spring time releases don't really need the decal because we all know it's a spring time themed model based on it's pack, as well as the rabbit logo. 

The top of this release was also decorated. A few years ago, I was looking up some of the older Hot Wheels from way back in the day. That's when I came across a casting based on a Datsun that's called Z-Whiz. Now you might be asking why I'm bringing this up. Well... the design that was applied to the top of this release, appears to be based on the design that was applied to the top of the Z-Whiz's releases. I think it's cool when Hot Wheels decides to use a  very old design for a new release.

Okay, let's move on to the one that I have a small issue with. The next one that I decided to get from this set, is the '77 Pontiac Firebird T/A. This release overall is not too bad, and like the Z, I really like it's exterior color. I just have an issue with one of the design decisions.  


As you can see, the sides of this release were given a green stripe with "spring 2021" applied within it. This is an example of what I was talking about. In my opinion, this release had the potential to be a solid ten, had it not been given this detail. Some of you might not have an issue with it, but I honestly feel there was no reason to make this detail this big. Furthermore, I feel the stripe itself wasn't needed since it has a cool flame design. 

Now that I got that out of the way, I want to put the spotlight on a specific design that made me decide to acquire this release. And no, the flames along the sides are not it. Although they contributed to my decision, the design I'm referring to is on the hood. 

The way I see it, the Trans Am hood decal was used as an inspiration for the rabbit design on the hood, and I absolutely love how it looks. Like the Z, I have decided to also give this release a nickname. You might not like my name for it, which is fine, but I decided to nickname this release The Firerabbit. Anyway, this is a very cool design. It's also what made me decide to ignore the "spring 2021" stripe.

Despite my little issue with the Firebird, both of these releases are very cool. And I'm happy that I was able to add them to my collection. The other models in this set are okay, but what was done to them wasn't enough to make me acquire them.  

Okay, so did you decide to get the entire set, or did you only get certain ones? Go ahead and let me know down in the comments section. Alright, that's all for this edition of Today On The Boulevard. Until next time, thanks for reading, and Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment