Sunday, April 11, 2021

My Want List: 2021 Matchbox Mix 2

Alright collectors, welcome to another edition of My Want List. It took some time, but I was finally able to complete my Matchbox mix 2 want list. Overall, this mix features some nice rides, and I'm glad the hunt is finally over. So with that being said, let's get this show on the road.  

The first release for today's post, is the 1956 Aston Martin DBR1. I had to start with this one, and by now you should know why. To this day, these old sports cars are still beautiful works of art. I'm very pleased to see another plain release of this casting.

I really like how silver was picked for this release's exterior color. In my opinion, it's a great color for any classic sports car, and the DBR1 looks absolutely stunning finished in the color. The exterior color isn't the only thing I like. The Matchbox designers took things a step further by giving this release a red interior.  

The one thing I didn't like about the green release that I have, was it's wheels. Thankfully, that's not the case with this silver release. The green one was given five spoke wheels, while this one was given the split ten spoke wheels. I feel these are much better than the five spoke wheels, which are definitely not period correct for this car





The next release that got checked off of my want list, is the 1970 Ford Capri. Matchbox has been on a roll lately with these classic cars, and I love it! Earlier in the year, we got the beautiful Plymouth Savoy, and now we got this car. 

I'm glad Matchbox is the brand that's doing these classics. If Hot Wheels did this casting, then we might have gotten one that looked customized. Anyway, with this Matchbox release, it has a stock body, a stock looking ride height, disk wheels, and it was finished in a great looking silver.

This release features black stripes that were only applied to it's hood. The hood was also given "Ford." This release was also given some additional details, but sadly, they were only applied to it's front end. Honestly, it would have been nice to at least see some tail light details, but oh well. 

All in all, this is a really well done model, and I'm glad they kept things relatively simple for it's first release. I'm hoping it gets many more releases like this one.





The '35 Ford Pickup has made another appearance with this year's mix 2, and it's the next one that got checked off of my want list. This is another example of a classic that's not getting enough attention from Hot Wheels. I mean... they are currently doing the '32 Ford, but I feel there should be more Hot Wheels made hot rods. So Matchbox castings like this, continue to be one of the reasons why I'm happy with my decision to get into this brand.

As much as I like this casting, I was honestly disappointed with it's first two releases. I did get the first one since it was new, but I made the choice to not get the second one. Basically, I was not happy with the designs featured on them. The first one was given a construction design, while the second one was given a soda pop delivery design. 

I'll admit that I was a little hesitant about getting this one when I first saw it's theme. The main thing I was questioning, were the words "swapmeet special." My opinion of the theme changed after I gave it some thought, which is why it was added to my want list. Basically, I could totally see someone deciding to try and rebuild a hot rod with swap meet obtained parts. And once finished, I could see them naming it the "swapmeet special."

Besides the words, this release was also given some additional design aspects along it's sides. My favorite of these, are the worn down paint details, which complement it's matte exterior. I should also mention that the Matchbox designers chose to make the passenger side door blue, which further helps to give this release that pieced together look. Since I didn't get an extra one to open, I don't have a picture of this. So you're going to have to try and find one to open for yourself, or you could try to find pictures on the internet. 


Alright, so after drooling over the first three classic vehicles, I think it's time to take a look at one of the modern cars from this mix. So up next, is the brand new 2020 Audi TT RS Coupe. I have to say, this is a pretty good model. I feel it has great proportions, and I like how it features side rear view mirrors. Those will always be a huge plus for me.

The best thing about this first release for me, is it's exterior color. The Matchbox designer chose to finish this debut release in a beautiful shade of blue. This blue also appears to be based on an actual color that was available for this casting's real-life counterpart. And based on the pictures I'm seeing, I'd say they got the color right. As usual though, I not totally sure since I don't have a way to compare this release to a real one.

Like with most Matchbox releases, this too was given some great looking front and rear tampo details. I only wish it had a European license plate like the one in the pictures I found. As you might know from a previous post, I love seeing international plate details.  




Up next, is another new casting, and I was delighted to see that it was being made. The Bentley Bentayga is the next release that got checked off of my want list. I think we can all agree that it's nice to see these high-end SUVs getting some love from Mattel's diecast brands. As you know, last year's Hot Wheels mainline gave us the '17 Lamborghini Urus. Like the Audi, I'm very pleased with how this model came out.

There are a few things I like about this first release. The exterior color, which is dark blue, is obviously the main thing that I like. The front and rear details are next. Now as good as they are, I do wish the license plate section had a plate instead of just "Bentley." Last but not least, are the wheels. The decision was made to give it the split ten spoke wheels, and I feel these are appropriate for this vehicle.  

Now despite being satisfied with this first release, I do have a small wish list for future releases. Basically, there are a few different colors I'd like to see used for a future release. And they are all based on colors that are offered by Bentley. One of the colors has got to be orange. I might be alone, but I like the orange I'm seeing in various pictures. 




The 1961 Ford Ranchero is the next release that got checked off of my want list. I don't know how could anyone not have this casting on their want list. This is such a great looking model to have, and I like how this release is finished in blue. Usually this would have made it my favorite release, but I still very much like the color that was used for the debut release of this casting. The white one from last year is also okay. 

The interior color is the next thing that I like about this one. Instead of simply going with grey or black like the first two, this one was given a brown interior. I should also mention that they decided to give it a white base, which is nice since the first two were given a grey base. 

The one thing I'm glad to see being used again, are the disk wheels. Due to the model year of this Ranchero, I feel these are the best possible wheels for it. I can honestly say that I will never get tired of seeing them used for this casting. 




Checked off of my want list next, is the 2018 Ford Mustang Convertible. Unlike the previous releases that had the five spoke wheels, this one was given gold ten spoke wheels. I know these wheels on this Mustang aren't going to be for everyone, but I think it's nice to finally have one of these with different wheels. And it's also nice to see one with a wheel color that hasn't been used for it yet.

Now I need to put the spotlight on the exterior color, as it's the other aspect that made me add this release to my want list. There are many exterior colors that will go great with gold wheels. One of those colors is black, and that's what the designers chose for this release. 

I am a little disappointed with one of this release's aspects, and it has to do with the tampo details. Last year's release of this casting was given a license plate that read "WILD STANG." Sadly, this one simply has the Mustang logo on this section. Maybe you won't care, but I think it would have been nice to see another cool plate. 




The last vehicle that I got was the Polaris RZR. Personally, I'm really not too impressed with this release. For some reason, the designers chose to use the same black that was used for the first release. Sure, they gave it a different design, and this time it's blue. But that doesn't change the fact that it's still the same black. Since this vehicle's body doesn't have enough space for a huge flashy design, I feel they should have made it a different color. 

The wheels are also similar, except this time they made the rim blue. I'm sorry, but a different rim color is still not enough to make me absolutely love this release. 

So yes, I decided to put this release onto my want list. But that's basically because it's a cool vehicle. Now upon doing a Google image search of the RZR, I came across a picture of one that is red and black. So I don't know about you, but I think red one with a black base would be cool. 


Alright collectors, that's all of the releases I wanted from this year's Matchbox mix 2. Aside from the last vehicle, everything else was great. 

So, how did you feel about this mix? Feel free to let me know down in the comments section. Okay, that's all for this edition of My Want List. Thanks for reading, and until next time, happy collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment