Friday, March 12, 2021

My Want List: 2021 Hot Wheels Case D - Part 1

Why hello there collectors! It's once again time for another edition of My Want List. Like the last case, this one also had a lot of releases that I wanted. As such, I'm going to divide this review up into two parts. I would also like to mention that two of the releases I got, are new castings, and they are very cool models. So for this review's part one, I'm going to start with those.

The first of the two new castings that I got, is the '06 Pontiac GTO that's apart of this year's Factory Fresh mainline set. It's nice to finally see this GTO as a Hot Wheels casting. I really like how Hot Wheels decided to add their magic to this car. What I mean by that, is that instead of designing a stock looking model, they decided to set it up for drag racing. So it has cool features like wide rear tires, a wheelie bar, and a exhaust that is positioned just behind the front wheels. 

Aside from the body features, I also like how this first release was finished in color that if not exact, is based on one that was available for the real car. The color is called Brazen Orange. Now it's been quite some time since I last saw these driving around, as such, I had to turn to Google Images for a reference. And from some of the pictures I found, this release's color looks close enough.

Most likely, this model is going to feature some awesome designs going forward. But for this debuting release, they decided to keep things simple. So the only design on it, is a black stripe that was applied to it's quarter panel. The front and rear were left plain, which is okay.

Now all of this release's features, including the "SUPER DUTY" stripe have meaning. Based on the back of the card, Hot Wheels intended for this model to have the looks of a factory built race car. I think Hot Wheels nailed it with this "what if" model! It's too bad Pontiac never made one of these.  



The second new casting that I wanted, is the '21 Ford Bronco that's apart of this year's Then and Now mainline set. I bet fans of the Bronco are going wild right now for this one. And I guess how could you not right? After all this time Ford has finally decided to make a modern one. On a side note, it's cool to see these manufacturers revive some of their older vehicle names. The other recent one that I'm interested in, is the Nissan 400Z. I, for one, hope it gets turned into a Hot Wheels casting. But that's neither here nor there. For right now, let's just focus on this new Bronco.

Now the real-life Bronco can be bought as either a 2-door or 4-door.  But I'm glad Hot Wheels decided to make the 2-door version. I might be alone, but I think this vehicle looks much better with a 2-door configuration. But more power to you if you prefer the 4-door.

For this first release, the Hot Wheels designers chose to paint it in a very cool blue. Now from what I can gather, the blue used for this release is not one that's available for the actual SUV. Based on Ford's website, the only blue that's offered is called Antimatter Blue. That color is way darker than what was used for this release. Having a model painted in a color that you might not see on a the real vehicle, is one of the reasons why I like Hot Wheels.

Since this release is apart of the Then and Now mainline set, we will definitely see a release of a similar colored Custom Ford Bronco. I can't wait! 

This release was given some additional details as well. The fenders of this model feature a tampo version of this SUV's fender emblem. The Hot Wheels designers also chose to add "Bronco" across the lower half of the door. The front was also given some details as well. The rear end was left plain, which is okay, but it would have been nice to see tail light details. 

The Hot Wheels BLOR wheels are what was chosen for this fist release. These beadlock wheels look good on so many castings, and this is one of them. Hot Wheels has other off-road wheels that would work for this casting too. So hopefully we end up seeing a release of this Bronco with some of those. 


The next vehicle that was checked off of my want list, is the 2020 Koenigsegg Jesko that's apart of this year's HW Torque mainline set. I was so excited last year when I found out we were going to finally have a new Koenigseg, as well as one that was going to be in the mainline. As you all know, the premium Agera R was the only one that Hot Wheels made. I'm still hoping Hot Wheels makes some of Koenigsegg's other vehicles for the mainline, but for now, this casting will do.

So for this second release, the decision was made to finish it in a much darker color than the first one. I would best describe the color used as being like a metallic gunmetal. I'm not sure if Koenigsegg's customers can get this car in this color, but I think it the car looks great finished in the color.

This second release was given the same tampo details as the first one, which is absolutely fine by me. There is no need to create a flashy design for this model, as it's already a perfect work of automotive art. 

The wheels used for this release, are the Hot Wheels OH5s with a grey finish. I do feel black wheels might have looked better, but I ultimately have no problem with the color they chose.

The '91 GMC Syclone is the next release that was checked off of my want list. This year's release is apart of the HW Turbo mainline set. As most of you might know, the real-life Syclone had a specific color that was available for it. So like the Bronco, this release is another example of a model that features a color that wasn't seen on it's real-life counterpart. Overall, this release features a two tone paint job, and I like the colors that were chosen. The top color is a nice metallic blue, and it's lower half was painted metallic silver. 

Now as cool as this is, I do have a small problem with how this release came out. Sadly, the second color starts after the front wheel arch. I know this is a mainline, but it would have been nice if the front bumper was also painted silver as well. I feel the paint job looks incomplete. It's like this Syclone was taken to a paint shop, and the painter decided that it looked good enough, and that it was time to move on to the next customer.

As far as tampo details go, this model was pretty much given the same ones that were applied to the first release of this casting. The sides were given a red Syclone decal. The front was left plain, and the rear was given tail lights, as well as some additional detail. 

I think it's cool when a Hot Wheels model has wheels that are similar to it's real-life counterpart's wheels. As such, I like how the RA6 wheels were once again used.


The next vehicle checked of of my want list, is the '19 Chevy Silverado Trail Boss LT that's apart of this year's Baja Blazers mainline set. This is a very cool release, and I feel off-road enthusiast are going to love it's overall appearance. Starting with it's exterior color, the designers chose to go with dark green. Now you might be thinking what's so cool about that. Well it's color is combined with a cool camouflage design. And it wasn't just applied to the sides either. This model's hood also received the design.

The sides were also given an additional black stripe that was placed on over the camouflage design. The sides of this model also feature some fantasy decals. These were placed within the section of the stripe that runs along the lower half of this model's sides. Another fantasy decal was also placed above the front wheel arch, as well as the hood. As you might know from a previous post, I have no issue with fantasy decal, as the designers make ones that look realistic enough. The last detail on this model is a number box with the number 19.

The wheels used for this one, are the BLORs. These ones were given the muddy look. So the tires are brown, and the spokes are black. I guess this is something that's going to be done for newer off-road releases. I don't know how the overall community feels about them being like this, but I know that I don't necessarily have a problem with them. I just hop they don't overuse this idea.




The '95 Mazda RX-7 that's apart of this year's Factory Fresh mainline set, is the next release that got checked off of my want list. I know this casting has had a few releases now, but I still get excited when I find out we're getting another one. It's still a way better than the old 24/Seven casting that was based on it. Now what I like about this one, is that it's finally another plain release. Before this one, there were only three other releases that had no designs. 

For this release, the designers chose to paint it black. This is actually not the first time black was used for this casting. The first black one has a Mad Mike theme, and it featured a blue base, which also means that is has a blue front lip. Now personally, this year's release is much better because it has a black base. I also like how the decision was made to give it a beige interior, which is a nice color to go with the exterior color.

Chrome PR5s are the wheels that were chosen for this release. I really don't have anything to say about this wheels choice, as there's nothing wrong with how this model looks with them. 


Tampo details can really affect the look of the overall model. And that just so happens to be the case with this release. I really like how the designers chose to make this year's release have different light details. Now as you all know, the debut release, as well as some of the other releases, were also given light details. But for this post, I decided to compare this year's release to the debut mainline release.  



Alright everyone, the last vehicle for this post, is the Jaguar XE SV Project 8. This release is apart of this year's HW Torque mainline set. I really like how they decided to give us another plain release of this casting. In all honesty, this is another one of those models that doesn't need a design to be cool. I mean... a simple design might be nice, but all it really needs is a great color, and I feel this release was given just that.

Red is the color they went with for this release. Now yes, it's noting special like matte or metallic, but there's nothing wrong with this finish. Also, from what I can gather, Jaguar offered red for this model's real-life counter. The color is called Caldera Red. Now I don't know if this color is a match, but I feel it looks good enough.

The wheels used for this release are the TRAP5s, and what I like, is how the decision was made to make them black. Red with black wheels is a nice combination for a car, and I like how the real car looks with black wheels. So these wheels ultimately contributed to me adding this to my want list. 


Alright collectors, that's all for part 1 of this review. These first vehicles are great, and so are the next ones. So be sure to stay tuned for part 2. Until then, thanks for reading and happy collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment