Sunday, March 7, 2021

Looking at: 2021 Hot Wheels Car Culture Case B - Fast Wagons

Hello, and welcome to today's edition of Looking at. If you've read some of my older post, then you most likely know that I wasn't always into pickup trucks. Well... that was also the case for wagons. I really couldn't tell you why, but I just wasn't into them. Obviously, things are much different now, which is why I try to get as many wagon releases as I can. And this new Fast Wagons Car Culture assortment has put me one step closer to filling the void in my collection. Alright, that's enough for the intro. I'm sure you all came here to check out what this assortment has to offer, so let's get started.

Okay, so I'm going to start things off right with a good ol' JDM. The '69 Nissan Skyline Van is the first wagon for today's post. I was very happy to be able to get this one. And no, it's not just because it's a "JDM." The thing is... I don't have many of these in my collection. And sadly, I was unable to acquire it's debut release. In fact, the Advan themed Team Transport release is the only one that I had before this one.

Now as much as I would have preferred for this release to be plain, I can honestly say that it's overall theme isn't too bad. The car's main color is red. The design that's only along it's sides, consist of a wide white section with a red stripe in it. The rest of the car underneath this section is blue. 

Since I like to say how I feel about these models, I figured I'd go ahead and point out the one small issue I have with this release. Actually... it's more of a what I would have done. Basically, I would have added decals like JNC, Advan or Yokohama, and maybe NGK. I feel these would have complemented the overall look of this release. 

I should also point out the the additional tampo details that were added to this release. Now the rear end has some nice details, but I want to point out that Hot Wheels added a white tampo to the headlights. Since this section is apart of the metal base, they really didn't have to add anything. However, I feel it was a nice touch. It's all about the finer details.

I do hope to one day see another plain release of this casting. But for now, I'm completely satisfied with this second one. At the end of the day, this is one nice addition to any collection.




The next wagon is actually new! Making it's marvelous debut in this assortment, is the Volvo P220 Amazon Wagon. I really like how this debut release looks, and I think you all will totally agree. Although... some of you might not like the treatment that Hot Wheels gave this car. If you've been collecting for a while, then you already know what I mean. Basically, this release does not have a stock appearance. Don't be alarmed though, as the designers didn't do anything too crazy.

So... the most noticeable modification to this car is it's ride height. The designers chose to make this car sit real low. The next modification is seen with it's interior piece. I guess they were trying to go for a touring look, since the decision was made to make this model feature a roll cage. I don't know about you, but I think these design decisions helped to make this model fit the description of a "Fast Wagon."

Now I also like this release's other features too. Or to be more specific, I like it's interior and exterior color, as well as the tampo details that were applied to it. Starting with it's colors, the decision was made to make it dark green with a brown and grey interior. It's kind of interesting how they made the dashboard section grey. Anyways, I feel you could never go wrong with this color scheme. As far as the details, it features the usual ones that are applied to premium releases. So that's details like lights, emblems, and other would-be chrome features.

The RR8SPs are the wheels that got picked for this first release. I really like how this model looks with these wheels! There are certain wheels that are meant for certain cars, and these wheels are it. 






Alright, the next wagon from this assortment is the Volvo 850 Estate. As you all know, this casting made it's debut in last year's mainline. And it was based on an actual BTCC race car. Well fast forward one year, and we now have a premium version. You know what that means right? We will most likely see a better BTCC themed one, or one with some other kind of racing livery. Heck, we might end up seeing a Team Transport release. Anyways, that's enough small talk about a possible future release.

So unlike a possible future release, the decision was made to make this first premium one plain. I think this was a great decision. Now since I like to be honest in my reviews, I will tell you that I decided to turn to Google Images to see some more pictures of this casting's real-life counterpart. From what I can gather, this release is one fine replica of a fresh off the showroom floor Volvo 850 Estate. The exterior color is the main aspect I want to focus on. Based on what I'm seeing, Hot Wheels was able to perfectly re-create the cream yellow that was available for the real car. Now as usual, I might be wrong since I don't have a way to compare it to the real color. But in my eyes, the color looks spot on. I need to also mention that my pictures make the color look slightly darker than what it is.

The next aspect that contributed to it being a fine replica, are the wheels, which are the RR5SPM. Now yes, the offset of these wheels is different than the real car's wheels, but I feel these were the best ones for this particular release. It's all about the shape of the spokes for me, and I'd say these are the closest.

I'm now going to put the focus on the tampo details. Yes, it's the usual ones like lights and emblems, but this one was also given a license plate. I love when Hot Wheels decides to add a license plates to their models, especially when the car is from another country. I feel having an international plate makes the model unique, which is why I love to put the spotlight on it when one is added. 




Up next, is one that I was very pleased to see, as well as get. The '64 Chevy Nova Delivery has finally made it's journey into the Car Culture line. Although this isn't a new casting, it is new to my collection. This version of the '64 Chevy Nova Wagon was initially only used for the Pop Culture line. So most of you probably have some of the older releases. 

The best thing about this release for me, is the fact that it wasn't given a design. I think having a plain release of this casting was long overdue, and I like the decisions that were made for it. As you all know, blue is my favorite color. With that said, there's one light shade of it that I feel makes any classic car look beautiful. And that's the color they decided to use for this release's exterior.

It's also worth noting that the entire model was not painted this color. The designers chose to make the roof, as well as a section on the rear white. In my opinion, these additional choices added to the coolness of this wagon.

The interior color is another great thing about this release. Like I always used to say, the interior color can liven up a model, and that's how I feel about this one's white interior.

Hot Wheels has many great looking premium wheels, and a few of them are absolutely perfect for a car like this. The Real Rider Steelies are one such wheel, and those are the ones that were used for this release.

I can honestly say that I couldn't have asked for a better release of this casting. I will also say that I hope to see many nice Car Culture releases of it. I just hope they don't solely stick to using shop truck, or service styled designs. I would personally like to see one with a cool stripe pattern that utilizes multiple colors.




The last wagon from this assortment is the '17 Audi RS 6 Avant. It took a few years, but this casting is finally making it's premium debut. Overall, this first premium release is not too bad. For it's exterior color, the designers chose to make it dark grey. Now personally, I would have made it Nardo Grey, or a color that was at least close to it. However, I will admit that the color picked for this one is okay. To be honest though, I actually kind of like the 2019 Factory Fresh release's blue exterior more. This is simply because that is the color I'd pick if I was going to get a real one of these.

The tampo details applied to this release are basically the same as it's previous mainline releases. That even includes the license plate. Despite being the same, I'm glad they were added. 

Dark grey RR10SPMs are the wheels that were picked for this one, and I really like how this wagon looks with them. In fact, these wheels are the main thing that made me want this release. Sure... Hot Wheels has a basic ten spoke wheel that could be used for a mainline release, but these are a lot better. 




Okay collectors, that's all five of the wagons from this assortment. I know I don't have to say it, but this assortment overall is fantastic. Now if you have any thoughts on this assortment, feel free to let me know down in the comments section. Alright, that's all for this edition of Looking at. Until next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment