Friday, February 12, 2021

My Want List: 2021 Hot Wheels Case A - Part 1

Hello and welcome to another edition of My Want List. Before I begin today's post, I want to quickly go over why I'm so late with these reviews. As you can see, I have recently changed some things with the BLVD. I am still in the process of redoing, and adding some new D Star BLVD items. So far, I have finished a large chunk of what I wanted to do. With that said, I am going to start rolling out these post again. So thank you for taking the time to visit the BLVD. So without further ado, let's get started with part one of my 2021 Hot Wheels Case A want list.

The first 2021 vehicle for this post, is the regular version of the Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo that's apart of this year's HW Turbo mainline set. I really like how the decision was made to paint this release metallic blue, and I feel they picked a nice shade of it. Now I will admit, that despite blue being my favorite color, I still very much like the other releases too. This is simply because I think this car looks great finished in white, as well as red. In fact, this car would look great finished in just about any color really.

Aside from the color, I also like how this release wasn't given any designs. I mean... eventually it might be nice to have one with a simple stripe. But for now, these plain releases are good enough for me. If they do decide to make one with a design, then I feel it could be one with a simple side stripe, and some decals like Greddy and Yokohama Tires. Only time will tell what they end up deciding to do.

Like the first release, this too was given rear tampo details. Personally, this casting would not look right without them. So it's great to see another completed looking release.

Chrome PR5 wheels were once again used for this casting. Although I like how this casting looks with these, I do feel they should have switched things up from the first two releases. In my opinion, chrome J5s would have been a nice choice. Ultimately, this isn't that big of a deal, as this is still a nice release. And there's always the possibility of a future release with the aforementioned wheels.



On a cold winter night, you're sitting in your car waiting for the tow truck to arrive, and all of the sudden you start to hear some music in the distance. That music is accompanied by a loud engine, as well as some skid noises. You then recognize the music. It's non other than your favorite Super Eurobeat song. Then out of nowhere, a nicely decorated AE86 comes flying past you! All jokes aside, that nicely decorated Toyota AE86 Sprinter Trueno is the next car that I wanted. This release is apart of the HW Drift mainline set.

As you all know, this isn't the first AE86 casting from Hot Wheels. However, due to this one's proportions, it is a much better casting than the first one. At first, I was a little disappointed because it was initially released in the unobtainable Walmart Boulevard set. A such, I thought it was going to be a premium only casting. Thankfully, the decision was made to put it into the mainline, which should hopefully give more collectors a chance.

Aside from the overall proportions being better, this redone casting has two body features that are basically upgrades. The headlights being flipped up, is the coolest of the two upgrades in my opinion. And side rear view mirrors are the second upgrade. Side mirrors are always a welcomed sight on any 1:64 scale Hot Wheels casting.

Now like I mentioned, this release is nicely decorated. It was given the marvelous Falken Tires livery with some additional real-life aftermarket sponsor decals. I also like the details that were applied to the top half of this release. It features a would-be carbon fiber hood, and the decals from the sides.

For this first mainline releases wheels, the decision was made to give it chrome OH5s. I'm so glad all chrome wheels were used. I don't think this particular release would have looked as good if they chose a black wheel with a colored rim. But that's just my opinion.




I think we can all agree that the Hot Wheels Screen Time mainline set is awesome. Whether it's from a cartoon or a movie, there's no denying how nice it is to be able to have our favorite fantasy vehicles from various media franchises. Having a 1:64 scale replica is much better than having to re-watch the content just to see the vehicle. So with that said, the next vehicle off of my want list, is the X-34 Landspeeder from Star Wars.

I think fans of this vehicle are going to love this replica, as it was given some fantastic exterior details. In my opinion, Hot Wheels was able to re-create the worn out details perfectly. On a side note, it would be cool to eventually get one that has more of a well-kept look.

One thing that I would like to point out, is that the casting itself has wheels that it sits on, which of course isn't a issue. After all, Hot Wheels usually designs these wheel-less vehicles that way. Take the Yellow Sub for example. I suspect that we will most likely end up getting a future premium release that comes with a stand. And if not, then that's perfectly fine. All in all, this model is sure to be loved by Star Wars and Hot Wheels fans alike. 

The next vehicle for today, is sure to be admired by all of the young girls and women out there that collect diecast cars. And no shame to us guys that decided to get one, because you know, dat diecast life. Anyways, the model in question is the Barbie Dream Camper. To be honest, I only really got it because I felt that it was a unique model. It's one of those releases that's out of the ordinary. 

This model's exterior color is another reason why I had it on my want list. For those of you that didn't know, I also like to collect models that have unique paints or colors. So that's things like matte finishes, or colors that aren't used as often. Pink is one of the colors that's not used as often, and it doesn't get anymore pink than Barbie. 

Now one cool thing about this model, is that it was designed with an opening door. These kind of features will always add an extra amount of excitement to any diecast model. And I suspect that young Barbie collectors will feel this way too once they free it from it's pack.

Fans of Barbie are sure to also like the additional details that were added to this model. The sides feature three different Barbie logos, as well as two stripes. White and turquoise are the two colors that were utilized for all of these designs. The front features headlights, grill details, and a Barbie license plate.

The DD8 wheels were not a bad choice for this model. Now instead of going with a realistic look for the wheels, Hot Wheels decided to go the fantasy route by making the wheels grey. They then decided to make the rim chrome turquoise. I think most fans of Barbie will think this is cool.



So collectors, do you have a certain casting that you've been wanting for a few years, but never got around to getting it? Well that was the case for me with this next vehicle. And thankfully, I no longer have to try and get one off the secondary market. So what's the car you ask? It's none other than the '64 Corvette Sting Ray. 

Initially, my collection was seriously lacking in C2 Corvette releases from Hot Wheels. Two releases of the '63 Corvette are all that I had before the release of the premium '65. So that lead to me wanting to get one of the '64 castings off of Ebay, especially since it looked like it wasn't going to get any more releases. The last time this casting got used, was back in 2014. I'm just glad they decided to use it again.

This release overall isn't too bad, and I like how it was painted gloss red. The one that I was going to get off the secondary market was also red. Aside from the color, this release was also given a racing look. This look was achieved by the application of a blank racing number circle that was applied to multiple sections of this Corvette. This detail is nice, but I'm not so sure about the placement of the one on the door. I'm not sure if this is based on someone's car, but the circle on the door was placed on the lower half. I'm used to seeing this detail placed on the center of the door. It doesn't necessarily look bad, it's just not something I'm used to seeing.

Aside from the color, the wheels are also the same as the one I was going to get off of the secondary. Chrome 5SPs are not a bad looking wheel for this model, if I do say so myself.

The last thing that I like about this release, is how it was given a red interior. The red used is a darker shade than the red that was used for the exterior. 


The last vehicle for this part of my review, is the Mattel Dream Mobile. I'm actually very happy to see a continued use of this casting. I honestly thought this was going to be a one and done thing, since it was honoring the original toy from the '50s. After finding out about the original toy, I had hoped we'd get more color releases, and thankfully it looks like that is going to be the case.

The first release of this casting was cool and all, but I feel this release is just a tad bit better. This release's exterior color, as well as it's interior color, are the two things that make me feel that way. This release is gloss turquoise with a yellow interior. This combination of colors made this a very lively model, and I think many of you will love it like I do. 

For it's wheels, the designer chose to once again use chrome 5SPs. To be honest, it really doesn't even matter what wheels are used for this casting. For me, it's all about the car, and I could care less about what wheels it has. Basically, I really love this fantasy casting. 

Okay, that's the first chunk of my case A want list done. If you have any thoughts on the releases featured in this post, do let me know down in the comments section. Alright everyone, that's all for part one of this review. Thanks for reading, and make sure you stay tuned for part two.

No comments:

Post a Comment