Monday, February 15, 2021

My Want List: 2021 Hot Wheels - Case B

Alright, you know what time it is! That's right... it's once again time for another edition of My Want List. I can honestly say that after case A, this year's mainline is looking like it's going to be spectacular. And I'm eagerly awaiting what the rest of this year has to offer. But for today, let's just focus on the here and now with what I wanted from this year's case B.

The first vehicle for this post, is the brand new 2020 Jaguar F-Type. This casting is making it's debut in the Factory Fresh mainline set. In my opinion, this set was a great choice for this first release. I love this set because it usually gives us plain releases of our favorite vehicles.

Aside from being plain, these releases also seem to be finished in colors that are, if not exact, based on ones that's available for the real thing. If you were to jump on Google Images right now and search up this model's real-life counterpart, then you'd come across pictures of one finished in blue. And that's the color that was chosen for this first release. Being this color will ultimately make this one my favorite for many years to come. Of course that could change, but only time will tell.

The wheels are the next thing that added realism to this release. Chrome 10SPs are the wheels that were used, and that's great because the real car is also seen with ten spoke wheels.

Now like I mentioned, these releases are plain, but that doesn't meant that they don't have tampo details. The ones applied to these release are usually on the front and rear, and they help to further add realism to the model. And on this release, it features detailed front and rear lights.

I do feel this release is missing one detail though. Although minor, I feel a black tampo should have been applied to it's fender vent. This would have added a bit more realism. But like I said, this is a minor detail. So it's not that big of a deal for me.



The next vehicle checked off of my want list, is the Dodge Van. This casting is making it's debut in this year's HW Drift mainline set. Personally, it would have been cool if this casing was named "Dajiban" instead. Now some of you might be wondering why I'd say that right? Well for those of you that didn't know, Dajiban is an entire scene over in Japan. Long story short, these particular vans are customized and raced over there. 

I was honestly excited when I saw pictures of this over on Instagram. I like how the decision was made to keep things simple with it's overall appearance. Wild designs can be saved for a later release. It's exterior was finished in a color that I'd describe as being some kind of a gloss mint green. Whatever that name of this color is, I can honestly say that I like it.

This casting has two additional features that are cool. One of those features is the interior piece, which was designed to feature a go-kart behind the front seats. The second feature is seen on the front end. This van's front bumper was designed with a tow hook on the passenger side.  

Though Subtle, I really like the details that were applied to this model. One of the things that's cool, is how this model was given a somewhat used look. This was achieved by applying black tampos of various sizes to multiple sections of it's exterior. 

The sides of this release were also given multiple decals, and I like how some of them are real companies. It's front door features Dodge, Hot Wheels, Mopar, and Moon Eyes. And the back half was given a fantasy decal.

All chrome 5SPs are the wheels that were chosen for this debuting release. I have absolutely no problems with this wheel choice, but I do believe all black wheels would have looked okay as well.  




The next vehicle is one that I'm glad to see, and it's the second release of the Volvo 850 Estate. Last year's release was based on an actual race car version. So as you know, it was given a design. Although it wasn't bad, I was really hoping that we'd get a plain one. Thankfully, that's what we got with this Factory Fresh release.

For this second release, the decision was made to paint it red. Now I might be wrong, but I feel the Hot Wheels designers were trying to give this release the look of being the 850 R. This was a high performance version of the 850, and bright red was one of it's colors. If I'm wrong, then this is still a nice color for this model nonetheless.

The wheels are another reason why I feel they were going for the aforementioned look. The actual 850 R featured seven spoke wheels, while this model was given the 10SPs. Now yes, these have three more spokes, but it's the shape of the spokes that gives me the impression that they were trying to make it look like the R. 

Front and rear details were one of the things that was missing from this casting's first release. Thankfully, that's not the case with this release, as it was given some nice front and rear details.



The Land Rover Defender 90 is the next vehicle that I wanted. This release of is apart of the Baja Blazers mainline set. Now surprisingly, the exterior color is not what I like the most about this release. Don't get me wrong, the green that was chosen is very nice. But what I like, is the overall appearance of it. For this release, the designers decided to give it the look of an off-road vehicle that has just finished it's run. At first, I was unsure if I was going to like this look, but now that I have it, I can say that it's not that bad of a look for this casting.

This release's exterior has two design aspects that give it the look I made mention of. The door was given a racing number box, and the rest of the sides were given mud splatter details. I think they did a good job designing them too. They don't just look like some random detail that was thrown on at the last minute. Instead, they make it look like the vehicle was in motion when it got muddy.

The BAJA5 wheels were also given a muddy look. The entire wheel piece is brown, while the spokes were given a black tampo coating. I might be alone, but since this release is sporting a muddy look, I feel it would have looked just as good with all brown wheels. Especially since there could be alignment issues with the spoke details.

The front and rear of this model might not have received any details, but the top of it did. The hood was decorated with a number box and the Land Rover decal that was placed just below it. 




Checked off of my want list next, is the '89 Porsche 944 Turbo. For this year's release, it's apart of the HW Turbo mainline set. This second release was given an Urban Outlaw theme, and to be perfectly honest, it's the reason why I was a little hesitant on getting it. I feel this is starting to be the go-to theme for any Porsche release. I'm not saying that it's absolutely terrible, but it is stating to get a little old. At least for me anyways. In my opinion, there are so many other designs that could be created for a Porsche, and it seems like they keep using this theme.

I will admit that if it wasn't for the Urban Outlaw decals, I would actually really like what was done to this release. For it's exterior color, the choice was made to finish it in silver, which is an okay color for this Porsche. The overall design itself is simple, and it's cool that blue is the color that was chosen. Along this release's sides, the design created a two tone styled paint job. The top of this release also got the design, and like the sides, it's also simple. Both sides of the hood feature a blue stripe.

I also really like the wheels choice. Chrome gold J5s are the wheels that were chosen, and I think this Porsche looks nice with them.




The next vehicle checked off of my want list, is the Corvette Grand Sport Roadster that's apart of this year's HW Race Day mainline set. Hiding in the bushes, is a Super Treasure Hunt version of this release. That version can stay in the bushes, because I am perfectly happy with the regular version of this release.

Most of the diecast community might prefer the Spectraflame blue that was used for the Super, but I have no issue with the metallic blue that was used for this regular one. I mean... that light blue is cool, and I do like how classics look with it, but I have way more fun collecting diecast cars by not worrying about Super Treasure Hunts.

Like the last mainline release of this casting, this too was given a racing theme. And I like how it's design isn't too wild. Race cars don't always have to have a wild livery. The design on this model is a simple red and white stripe design with some additional details. Also featured on this release, is a blank racing number circle that was applied to the sides, as well as the top half. 

Usually for a race car like this, I would have preferred to see some additional sponsor decals. But to be honest, this release looks just fine without them. 

All black 5SPs, are the wheels that were chosen for this regular version. Since the Super has gold wheels, it would have been nice if this release also had gold wheels. But at the end of the day, I have no problem with how this release looks with black wheels.



The next vehicle that I wanted from this case, is called The Nash. It is the second Hot Wheels Legends Tour car to get turned into a Hot Wheels casting. Personally, I hope this Legends Tour thing is going to be something that's done for many years to come. Having the winner's custom car get turned into a Hot Wheels casting, will ultimately lead to us having many cool models to collect. And I feel this is definitely a cool model.

The wheels used for this release are the skinny version of the 5SPs. Now personally, based on the real car's wheels, I would have chose to use the SK5 wheels instead. In my opinion, those have more of a steel wheel look, and I feel that would have made this even closer to the real thing.

Overall, I think this model came out great, and I like how they were able to re-create all of the additional details. I might be alone, but if they do another release of this casting, I hope it will be in the Flames. In my opinion, this kind of vehicle needs a cool flame paint job.




The last vehicle from my case B want list is the 2016 Ford GT Race. This year's release is apart of the HW Speed Graphics, and the Borla Exhaust theme applied featured on it is the main reason why I added it to my want list. Initially, I thought the design on it was created by the Hot Wheels designers, but I was wrong. As it turns out, this release is actually based on a real Ford GT. Now in my opinion, the design looks way better on this racing version, but that's just me. And some of you might have preferred for it to be on the other casting. 

Now even if this release wasn't based on an actual vehicle, I'd still very much love it like I do now. Basically, I think it looks great with the other Borla themed Hot Wheels releases. It's the same as someone else collecting all of the Gulf themed Hot Wheels. On a side note, I'm still waiting for a Borla themed Team Transport release. Anyways, it's nice to have another addition to my Borla collection. 

The wheels given to this release are the J5s with a black finish. Based on the pictures I came across, these are a perfect match the real car's wheels.



Alright everyone, that's all of the vehicles that I wanted from this year's Hot Wheels case B. All in all this was another great mix of Hot Wheels. So... did you have a specific favorite from this case? If you did, feel free to let me know down in the comments section. Okay, that's all for this edition of My Want List. Until next time, thanks for reading and happy collecting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment