Friday, December 11, 2020

My Want List: 2020 Matchbox Ford Mustang - Second Assortment

Alright diecast fans, it's time for another edition of My Want List. It took some time, but I was finally able to find the Mustangs that I wanted from the second release of the Matchbox Mustang Walmart set. Most of the models featured in this assortment were simply recolors of the first ones. This is of course fine, since the first ones were all great models. Now not all of the Mustangs featured are recolors. One of ones in this second half, was not featured in the first half. So with that being said, let's get today's post started.

For today's post, I'm going to start with the one that's not a recolor. The model in question, is the 2007 Ford Shelby GT500. This model is also replacing the '18 Ford Mustang Convertible that was available in this set's first half. Unlike the Mustang that was replaced, this one was given stripes. The car itself was finished in silver and the stripes applied to it are red. This color scheme is not bad at all for a Mustang, and it makes this a nice 1:64 scale model to have.

A diecast models interior color, is one of the many aspects that can liven it up. And that happens to be the case with this model's interior. The decision was made to make this model have a red interior to go along with the red stripes. I feel this was a very nice decision, as it contributes to this being a nice model. 

The Matchbox 5 Spoke Superfast Sport, are the wheels that were chosen for this Mustang. And I like how they are silver. These five spoke wheels were an okay wheel choice for this release. However, looking at the real car makes me wish this model had different wheels. If this was a Hot Wheels release, then I'd say it should have been given the Y5 wheels. But since this is a Matchbox release, I feel their lace wheels might have looked cool on this release.


With the non recolor out of the way, it's now time to go over the ones that I wanted that are the recolors. So first up, is the 2019 Ford Mustang Coupe. As you all know, the first color was a cool shade of green. For this recolor, the decision was made to make it orange. Since the green one's color was on the darker side, I really like the choice to use a bright color for this one.

I'm not entirely sure if the designers were trying base the color on an actual one that was available for the real 2019 Mustang. Based on some of the pictures I'm seeing, this color appears to be based on Ford's competition orange. Now I should mention that I haven't personally seen a real Mustang with that color, so I could be wrong. And in some of the pictures I found, the color looked more red. No matter what, the color chosen makes this Mustang look fantastic. 

For this release's wheels, the Matchbox designers chose to give it the same wheels as the green one. So that's the Matchbox 5 Spoke Superfast Sport wheels. This time though, they were given a silver finish. This color choice is okay, but I personally would have chose to make the wheels black. Orange with black wheels is a cool combination, and it's one that makes this model's real-life counterpart look great.



The third one that I wanted, is the 1968 Ford Mustang GT CS. The first color was a great looking metallic blue. Now I'm sure you all know that's my favorite color, but this release's color is right up there in terms of how much I like it. For this release, the designers chose a fantastic shade of gold. I can honestly say that pictures don't do it justice. Like pink, gold is one of those colors that isn't used as much as it should. And this American beauty looks fantastic finished in gold.

The exterior color wasn't the only aspect that received a color change. This release's side stripe was changed to black. Although I'm very happy with this color change, they honestly could have left the side stripe white. I don't know what color schemes the diecast community likes for cars, but in my opinion, gold cars look okay with black or white stripes. Of course, it's still a good thing that they decided to make this release feature different colors than the blue one. Being different adds some variety to the overall set.

Like the blue release, this one is also sporting the Matchbox Cut Tri Spoke wheels. I have absolutely no problem with these, as they are some of the best Matchbox basic wheels for a classic car like this.



The fourth and final one that I wanted, is the 1965 Ford Mustang GT. I am so glad this wasn't the Mustang that was replaced by the 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 G. Initially, this was a casting that I didn't have in my collection. Last year's holiday five pack was the last time this casting got used. And I made the decision to not get it. The one before that was in a 2011 ten pack, and I don't always get those. I stopped paying attention to the ten packs from Hot Wheels and Matchbox after I kept coming across ones that were altered. So this ultimately makes me miss out on some okay releases.

This one's color scheme was changed to red with silver stripes. Sometimes, I will end up liking a recolor better than the initial release. That however isn't the case with this one. Don't get me wrong, red with silver stripes is a very cool combination for a Mustang. It's just that I also equally like the look of white with gold stripes. Basically, I like both of them equally because they are the only two in my collection.

Unlike the other two recolors that weren't given different wheels, this one was. This recolor was given the Matchbox Spit 10 Spoke wheels. To be honest with you all, I really wish they used a different wheel for this release. I mean, it's great to switch things up, but these wheels look to modern to be on this classic. Some of the original releases of this casting used a small five spoke wheel with a thick tire. Since they decided to change the wheels, I feel this release could have looked much better with those. And if not those ones, then I would have preferred for them to use the Cut Tri Spoke wheels again.




Okay everyone, that's all of the models that I wanted from this second assortment. Now for those of you that also like the card art, then I should also point out that this second assortment's cards features an interesting art change. The first assortment featured artwork of the cars driving in the daytime, while this assortment features them driving at night.

Alright, that's all for this edition of My Want List. As always, feel free to let me know your thoughts on these models down in the comments section. Until next time, thanks for reading and happy collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment