Saturday, December 26, 2020

Looking At: 2021 Hot Wheels Flying Customs - Mix 1

Okay diecast collectors, it's once again time to check out a full assortment from Hot Wheels. The Flying Customs are back for 2021, and the first eight vehicles are the topic for today's review. As you all know, the vehicles featured in this set are usually given flashy designs, and older wheels from a bygone era of Hot Wheels. Those two things are why I'm glad they decided to continue doing these. One of the interesting things about this assortment, is that it's the first one to not feature any Hot Wheels fantasy cars. The first assortment had the Audacious, and the second assortment had the Blvd. Bruiser.

Now if you're a fan of older American cars, then you're in for a treat because this set features some nice models that I'm sure you'll love. I should also mention that one of the vehicles from this assortment isn't American, but it's still a model that is sure to be loved just as much. With that said, let's get things started.

The first vehicle for today's review, is the '71 Dodge Demon. I had to start with this car, as it's the main one I was trying to get. This is because it was given a cool design that consist of stripes and flames. And let me not forget to mention that it's exterior was finished in a great looking orange. Now black and gold might have been the only colors that were used for the design, but I think it's the perfect combination to go with the orange that was used.

As much as I like flame designs, I think it was a great idea to only place the design on the sides of this release. Sure... this set is all about flashy customs, but I think the side design is good enough for this Dodge Demon. Of course that's just me, and maybe you would have preferred for the top to be decorated as well.

The wheels are another reason why I really wanted this one. This is one of the vehicles from this set that was given the old BW wheels. Not all of the vehicles in this assortment got these wheels, but I'm glad this one did. I mean... we might not ever see another release of this casting with these wheels. Now I usually would have preferred for the wheels to be chrome, but I actually kind of like how this release looks overall with gold wheels. Plus, the gold does go with the design.


Remember how I said that one vehicles from this assortment isn't American, but it's still a model that is sure to be loved just as much? Well the next vehicle is the Custom Volkswagen Beetle. This little fenderless Beetle is awesome, and I'm glad they decided to use it for a Flying Customs assortment. As you all know, there are multiple versions of this casting. For this assortment, Hot Wheels chose to use the one with the roof rack.

This is one of the models that features a flashy color and design. In my opinion, it has the looks of being a Hot Wheels release from the '90s. Actually... what I should say, is that it looks like it's straight out of 1989. Back then, Hot Wheels released a cool looking VW Bug. That release's color and design were re-imagined for this Custom Volkswagen Beetle release. So basically, it's exterior was finished in turquoise, and it was given a similar styled design that uses similar colors. 

The decision was also made to add the design to the the hood as well. This is something that wasn't done to the 1989 VW Bug release. Now that release did have a design on it's top half, but it was applied to it's roof.

Like the one this is based on, this too has the old BW wheels. And thankfully, they chose to give them a chrome finish. Any other wheel color would have made it not match the 1989 VW Bug release.


The next vehicle from this assortment, is the '71 Mustang Mach 1. This is one of the other vehicles from this set that features a flashy design. But first, I need to make mention of how I like it's exterior color. For this release, the designers chose to use yellow, which is always an okay color for a Mustang in my opinion. One thing that I thought was interesting about this release, is how it was given a red interior. I actually don't have an issue with this decision. In my opinion, it contributed to the "Flying Customs" look.  

The stripe design created for this Mustang is really cool, and I like how the designers made it span across the entire length of it's sides. The hood of this release was also decorated with the theme from the sides too. Now for it's colors, the designers chose to use black, gold, and red. I'm not quite sure how the diecast community feels about this combination, but I personally think it looks great. 

I'm so glad the BWs were used for this release. Like the Dodge Demon, these wheels are one of the other things that made me want this Mustang. The last time collectors got one of these Mustangs with these wheels, was back in 2012. Also like the Demon, this one's wheels were given a chrome gold finish.


The '73 Pontiac Firebird is the fourth vehicle from this assortment. I'm actually really glad this is one of the vehicles that got used. I know it had two recent multipack releases, but I don't have those. I stopped paying attention to those packs back in 2016 when I started to notice them being returned altered. It's kind of sad if you think about it, because if you're like me, then you end up missing out on some great multipack only releases. And this casting is one of them. Five packs are the only ones I still get. Anyways... that's enough about it's multipack releases, because today is all about this Flying Customs release.

I think the design team did a good job with this one, and I especially like how it was finished in metallic purple. Compared to some of the other designs from this assortment, this Firebird's design might seem a little subtle. But I think it's more than good enough for this car. I only wish they had decided to decorate the hood as well. So for it's sides, the designers chose to make a simple design that features a yellow and a orange stripe.

I'm a little disappointed with their decision to not use the BW wheels for this release. Instead, they chose to use chrome 5SPs. So far, the 2019 Target Throwback release is the only one that has the BWs. I really can't understand why they picked one of the currently used wheels for a special release like this. Most of the diecast community might not have a problem with this choice, but I just think they should have taken the opportunity to use some old school wheels for this Firebird.


Up next, is the '67 Custom Mustang. I actually don't have that many of these in my collection, which is sad (currently crying a river). Out of the releases that I have, the 2016 Hot Wheels Garage release was the only one that I really liked. That of course is no longer the case, because I now currently like this Flying Customs release just as much.

The exterior color picked for this one is white. Now it might not be as cool as the metallic blue that was used for the Hot Wheels Garage release, but I feel it was not a bad choice. Using this color allowed the designers to utilize red, dark blue, and blue for the design. The design itself consist of multiple stripes that all start after the front wheel arch. The two blues were used for the center stripe, and red was used for the other stripes.

The decision was made to leave the top half of this Mustang plain. I actually have no issue with this decision. Similar to the Dodge Demon, I think this release's side design is good enough.

I guess the designers fell in love with the look of chrome gold BWs, because they once again chose to use them. I'm not saying they make this Mustang look bad, but what I am saying, is that it's interesting how they chose to use chrome gold again. I think this Mustang would have looked just as nice with chrome wheels. But I guess chrome gold does help with the "Flying Customs" look.  


The sixth vehicle from this assortment, is the Custom '67 Pontiac Firebird. This is still one of my favorite Firebird castings from Hot Wheels, and I'm glad they decided to pick it for a Flying Customs assortment. I don't know how you feel about it, but I love how it doesn't have a hood. In my opinion, that is what makes it a great casting for this kind of themed set.

This release's design might be nice, but the blue that was picked for it's exterior color is what I like the most about it. Now I'm sure you all remember the American Steel release of this casting. Basically, the design created for this one is somewhat similar to that one's design. It features a similar styled stripe design along it's sides with a number circle, as well as the number 67. It's worth noting that the number is stylized differently than one on the American Steel release. 

The colors used for the stripes are red and orange. The red is okay, but since the design is similar to the one on the American Steel release, I feel they should have used a different color instead of orange. Now if I throw that opinion out the window doing 100 MPH, then I can say that it's not a bad combination of colors.

Looking past it's similarities, this design overall does have enough things about it to make it different. Instead of starting after the wheel arch, the stripes on this one basically start on the door, and both ends of them are slanted. What truly makes this design different though, is the addition of a slanted checkered design was placed in front of the stripes on the fenders.

Sadly, this is another one of the vehicles from this assortment that was given chrome 5SPs instead of BWs. I'm very disappointed with this decision. Most of this castings releases were given the 5SP wheels. As such, I would have been really liked to have seen one of these with the BWs.


The seventh vehicle from this set, is the '86 Monte Carlo SS. I know most of you will be happy to see another release of this casting, but I'm a little disappointed. I'm sure you all know that this isn't the only 80's casting that Hot Wheels has. I would have personally preferred the '84 Hurst Olds instead of another release of this car. Besides getting a 2020 mainline release, the '86 Monte Carlo SS was also released in the 2018 50th Anniversary Throwback, as well as the 2019 Throwback. The last release of the '84 Hurst Olds was in 2016. Oh well... maybe one day we will get another one.

Alright, now that I got that little gripe out of the way, it's time to focus on this car. Overall, this release is not too bad. It was finished in a nice bright shade of red, and given a design that's pretty cool. Along it's sides, is a design that features white, yellow, and black for it's colors. I should also mention that the entire theme from the sides was utilized to decorate the hood.

Aside from being a little disappointed with the choice to use this casting, I'm also disappointed in the wheel choice. For some reason, the designers chose to use chrome gold 5SPs for this release. I really wish they would stick to using the less used wheels for these releases. I'm know some of you won't have a problem with this choice, but I call it like I see it.


The eighth and final vehicle from this assortment is the '68 El Camino. I know everyone will be happy to see another release of this casting, and if not, then I guess I'm alone. I have always liked how this casting looked with it's big ol' V8 mounted just behind the cab. Okay... that's enough drooling over the casting, let me get going with how this release looks.

So for it's exterior color, the decision was made to use black. Now this color might not be as eye catching as the colors used for the other vehicles in this assortment, but it was the perfect color to go with the design's colors. The designers doing what they do best, chose the flawless combination of white and gold.

Now the design itself is actually quite similar to the one featured on the '86 Monte Carlo. But there are some various things about it that make it different. Instead of the white stripe being at the top of the design, this one's white stripe was placed at the center of it. The next thing that's different, is the location of the third stripe. It was placed above the other two stripes, and is much thinner than the black stripe that's on the Monte Carlo. 

This top half of this release was also given a design, and I like how it wasn't just the hood that got decorated. Instead of creating a similar styled design, the designers chose to use stripes. These start on the hood and finish on the roof.

Chrome gold 5SPs are the wheels that were picked for this release. Basically, how I felt about them being used for the '86 Monte Carlo, is how I feel about them being used for this El Camino. So I'm not going to say anything else about them. In fact, I'm just going to ignore the wheels since I like everything else about this release.



Despite me not liking all of the choices made for these vehicles, I can honestly say that this assortment was not bad at all. I feel it's one of those assortments where collectors should go ahead and strive to add each of the vehicles to their collections. 

So collectors, are you going to add each of these to your collection? Or are there only certain ones that interest you? Feel free to let me and the rest of the diecast community know down in the comments section. Alright, that's all for this edition of Looking at. Until next time, happy diecast collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment