Monday, November 23, 2020

My Want List: 2020 Hot Wheels Pop Culture Case H - Vintage Oil

Alright everyone, welcome to another edition of My Want List. Like people, the reasons for collecting diecast are diverse. Some might collect for the value, while others might collect out of a general love for vehicles. There are even collectors out there that only collect a specific vehicle. I'm the type of collector that likes to collect out of a general love for vehicles. For me, all vehicles are works of art.  This is one of the reasons as to why I don't care for special diecast like the Super Treasure Hunt releases from Hot Wheels. So long story short, when I see a vehicle that I like, that is the one that I will get.

Now I should also mention that I will usually only get releases that make sense. That decision is why there were only two vehicles that I wanted out of the Vintage Oil Pop Culture Assortment. Now some of you might be wondering what I mean by releases that make sense. For me, it all comes down to what type of vehicle it is, as well as what type of design it was given if any. With that said, the 1937 Haulin' Gas and the '38 Dodge Airflow were the only two that I wanted from this Vintage Oil Pop Culture assortment.

Back in the 1930's, there was a vehicle that was known as as the Texaco Doodlebug. The Doodlebug was basically a streamlined tanker truck. For those of you that didn't know, the Hot Wheels casting know as the Haulin' Gas is based on the aforementioned tanker. This is what I meant by vehicles that make sense. In my opinion, tanker trucks are the best models for a oil themed Hot Wheels assortment.

With this haulin' Gas release, it is the first one to feature a theme that I feel is appropriate for the casting. The casting made it's debut back in 2011 with a Milk Duds theme. After that, it had various themes from different media franchises. Though not Texaco, I do like the Gilmore Oil Company theme that was chosen for this release. A fun fact about Gilmore, is that it was started by a dairy farmer that struck black gold when he was attempting to find water.

Now since this is a tanker truck, I do feel they should have used different wheels. The RR5SP's look nice, but I feel this release would have looked much better with the RRS wheels. Since I'm glad to finally have one with an oil theme, the wheel choice is not that big of a deal.



It's the same story with the '38 Dodge Airflow. Like the Haulin' Gas, this casting is also based on a real tanker truck. In total, this is the fourth release of this casting. It is also the first one to feature a oil theme, which is a little surprising since it is a tanker truck after all. Debuting in 2012, this casting's first release was given a Supergirl theme. After that, it was Star Trek followed by Captain America. 

This release is representing Agip. Utilizing the company's theme, the Hot Wheels designers created a nicely decorated model. For me, it has the appearance of being a replica of an official Agip tanker truck. Regardless of the company it's representing, I think the casting itself looks really good finished in yellow.

Unlike the Haulin' Gas, this truck was thankfully given the RRS wheels. These kind of wheels just look right on a vehicle like this.



So collectors, I think you might have a better idea of why I solely wanted these two. The other three from this set are as follows: a Gulf themed '83 Silverado, a Shell themed Dodge Little Red Express, and a Valvoline themed '63 Studebaker Champ. These are all great castings and releases, but for me, they just don't make sense in a set like this.

With the Gulf themed Silverado, I might have acquired it if the overall theme on it wasn't so plain. I feel it should have at least been given some additional decals. You know, just to give it the look of being customized. I mean... it is a nice release, but decals like Champion Spark Plugs or Goodyear would have made a huge difference in my opinion. 

When it comes to the Valvoline themed Studebaker, I feel they should have used a different casting. In my opinion, the '49 COE would have been a much better choice for a Valvoline theme. The theme would have made it have the appearance of a official company delivery truck.

All in all, I wish Hot Wheel had more of a variety when it comes to tanker truck castings. Like I said, tanker trucks in my opinion are the best models for a oil themed Hot Wheels assortment.

Alright, so I suspect everyone is going to go after the Silverado. Now if you're not, then go ahead and let me know down in the comments which of the ones you're going after. Also feel free to let me know your thoughts on the idea of tankers being the best for a set like this. Okay, that's all for this edition of My Want List. Until next time, happy collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment