Monday, October 26, 2020

My Want List: 2020 Matchbox Mix F

Welcome to Diecast BLVD collectors. On today's edition of My Want List, I'm going to be sharing some of the vehicles that I wanted from this year's Matchbox mix F. For the most part, I was able to get everything I wanted. However, I was unable to get one specific vehicle. And I think you can probably guess which one it is. So there's no need for me to go any further with that. Besides... today is all about what I was thankfully able to get. So with that said, let's get today's review started.

I had to start with the vehicle that I was really looking forward to. And that Vehicle is the brand new C8 Corvette. The moment Chevy unveiled this mid engine Corvette, I knew right away that we were going to get a 1:64 scale version from one of Mattel's diecast brands. Now word on the street, is that Mattel's other brand is also going to be releasing some C8 goodness as well. But that's a story for a possible future review.

In general, most Corvettes look good in just about any color. But what I like about this C8, is how the decision was made to make it blue. Now obviously Matchbox is going to be releasing more of these in the future. So what I'm hoping for in a future release, is that they choose to use some of the other great colors that are available for the real car. Take Sebring Orange for example, I feel that would be an excellent choice for the next release.

Aside from the color choice, I also like the front and rear details that were applied to this C8 Corvette. It's great that these details weren't left out, as they add a great amount of realism this 1:64 scale model. The front end was given detailed headlights, a Corvette emblem, and black tampo grill details. The rear end was given detailed tail lights, "Corvette" applied in black, and a license plate that reads "CORVETTE." The sides were not given any details, but that is fine.

The Wheels given to this release are the Matchbox 5 Spoke Superfast Sport. It's too bad Matchbox doesn't have a split five spoke wheel like the Hot Wheels PR5s, as that would've made this model look even closer to it's real-life counterpart. 




The next vehicle from this mix, is the '20 Jeep Gladiator. One of the things that I like about Mattel's two brands, is how they sometimes do the same vehicle. This give us collectors two different versions of the same vehicle to collect. And that just so happens to be the case with this Jeep. As you all know, Hot Wheels also has a '20 Jeep Gladiator casting in their lineup.

Matchbox's version of this Jeep, has two main features that are different from the Hot Wheels casting. And those features are what makes this a very cool model to have. This Gladiator's real-life counterpart features sections of it's body that are removable. So Matchbox decided to design their casting without it's roof and doors. The back half of this Jeep is where the next difference is seen. Unlike the Hot Wheels casting that has two dirt bikes in it's bed, this one features an empty bed with it's tailgate up.

For this release's color, Matchbox chose to make it match the first Hot Wheels Gladiator by making it red. Some of you might disagree with me, but I hope the next release of this casting is finished in a color that hasn't already been used for the Hot Wheels version. As cool as it is to have matching releases, it's also nice to have some variety among them as well.

The front and rear of this model were sadly not given any details. Front and rear details are always a nice touch, and it's a little disappointing that none were applied. Now not all is bad, as details were applied to the sides of this Jeep. It's sides feature the "Jeep" and "Rubicon" decals, as well as some additional details that include a tampo fender vent. 

Another good thing about Matchbox doing their own versions of a certain vehicle, is that we get to see the vehicle with a different set of wheels. And for this release, the Matchbox designers decided to go with their five spoke off-road wheels.




The second release of the Polaris Slingshot is the next vehicle that was checked off of my want list. As I've mentioned in a past review, there are certain vehicles that make me truly appreciate the Matchbox brand. And this 1:64 scale Slingshot is one of them. 

Since I haven't seen too many of these on the road where I live, I decided to pull up some pictures on Google. Based on a photos that I found, the overall appearance of this second release appears to be based on an actual option that's available for the real Slingshot. So basically, that's it's blue exterior color as well as the orange and black stripe design that was applied to it's top half. 

I also like how Matchbox took the time to include the smaller details that are seen on the top half of the real vehicle. The two details are "Slingshot" and a tampo Polaris emblem.

The Matchbox designers chose to give this second release the same wheels as the first release. But this time, they are finished in black. The one in the picture that I found also had black wheels. This wheel color choice is another reason why I feel this release is based on a available option for the real Slingshot.


Up for a little fun in the sun? Then this next car is the perfect vehicle for you! The car in question, is the Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet. This is one Porsche that I didn't have in my collection, and I'm glad to finally have one. Now the casting itself is not new, but it was updated. Unlike this new version, the original one didn't have side rear view mirrors. If you've read some of my past reviews, then you already know that this is one aspect that I like to see. You can never have too much realism on a 1:64 scale model.

This release's best qualities are it's exterior/interior color scheme. For it's exterior, Matchbox chose to make it pearl white. And for the interior, they chose to make it beige. Now I'm not sure if this was an actual option for this model's real-life counterpart, but what I do know, is that the combination makes this model look luxurious.

The front end of this Porsche was given detailed headlights as well as the Porsche emblem. The rear end was given light details and the Carrera letter emblem.

The Matchbox 5 Spoke Superfast Sport are the wheels that were chosen for this release. The real car featured slanted five spoke wheels. Now since Matchbox doesn't have anything that looks like those, the wheels used for this release were the best possible choice. 



Cruising on the boulevard next, is the Mazda MX-5 Miata. For specific reasons, I still like this casting a little better than the Hot Wheels one. So far, this is the third mainline release of this casting. The last mainline release before this one was in 2017. There was one released back in 2018, but I didn't get it due to it being in the 9 packs.

I actually like this third mainline release a little more than the first one. The second release was nice, but I never fully liked the wheels that were given to it. Thankfully that isn't the case with this release, as it was given the 5 Spoke Superfast Sport wheels like the first one.

Now the wheels just contributed to how much I like this release. What I truly like, is how they decided to give paint it a wonderful shade of metallic orange. I don't know how you feel about a orange Miata, but it was ultimately this color choice that made me like this release more than the first one. And I also feel it's what makes this a great model to have out and on display.

Completing this model nicely, are it's front and rear tampo details. They are basically the same as the ones given to the other releases of this casting. So basically, that's detailed headlights, detailed tail lights, emblems, and other bumper details. Aside from those, no other details were applied to this release.



The next vehicle is one that I was truly excited to see. The 1933 Plymouth Sedan is the next vehicle that was checked off my want list. This casting made it's debut back in 2018 and has had only two other mainline releases. Both of those releases were given a police car theme. Now yes, I do like service vehicles from Matchbox, but I also like plain vehicles as well. Especially when it's a vintage vehicle like this one. So long story short, the reason that I got excited when I found this release, was due to it being plain.

The main section of the body was finished in gloss dark blue. Like the first two releases, this too was given black fenders. This color combination is not bad at all, and I feel it makes this model have a period correct look. Since I obviously wasn't alive in the '30s, I'm not entirely sure which colors were available for the real '33 Plymouth Sedan. For me though, the dark blue used just looks right.

A silver tampo grill is the only additional detail given to this release. I won't lie, It would've been nice to as least see a silver tampo applied to the door handles. You know, just to add some more realism to the model. 

Now I do have one tiny issue with this release. And that issue has to do with this one's base. The first two releases were given a plastic chrome base, while this one was given plastic grey base. I think we can all agree that the chrome base looks more realistic for this car.

The wheels given to this release are the Ringed Disk with a black outer rim. There's no way anyone should take issue with this wheel choice. The only two that look period correct on this model, are the Ringed Disk wheels and the Lace Wheels. Of course... you might disagree with me, which is absolutely fine.



Collecting diecast vehicles isn't just about acquiring cool looking models. The hobby itself can be somewhat educational as well. And that's the case with the 1956 Powell Sport Pickup from this mix. Before this release, I had never heard of this company before. Now I won't bore you with everything that I learned about the company that made this truck. But what I will say, is that the Powell brothers got their start making radios in the in the 1920's.

This release was given multiple aspects that make it a cool model to have. The exterior was finished in a yellow that might have been available for this casting's real-life counterpart. The red interior piece is the next aspect that contributed to how I feel about this release. Personally, this exterior/interior color scheme gives this model an authentic 1950's look.

I really like how Matchbox decided to not skip out on giving this model front and rear details. The front end was given detailed headlights, the Powell emblem, and a tampo coating for each section of the grill. Now the rear end was obviously given tail lights, but it's the other two details given to the rear that I really like. Those two details are as follows: a 1950's California license plate, and tampo diamond plating.

Helping to complete that 1950's look, are the Matchbox Ringed Disk wheels with a black outer rim. Black wheels were a great choice, but I also feel red wheels would have been great as well.



The next vehicle is the 1963 Austin Healey Roadster. This is one casting that I will always get. I mean... you already know how I feel about these kind of vehicles. After it's 2018 debut, this casting has now had a total of four releases. And all of them, including this one, are stellar models to have. 

The folks over at Matchbox really know what they're doing when it comes to choosing a color for a classic vehicle like this. What I like, is how they chose to make this release dark green. Now I would say that this model's paint was British Racing Green, but when I search for the color, I get various pictures showing different shades of green. So I will leave that for you to decide.

This release has one aspect that I feel makes it somewhat better than the first two. And that's it's wheels. This release is the second one to feature the Matchbox Ringed Disk wheels with a black outer rim. This is a much better wheel choice than the Matchbox Split 10 Spoke wheels that were given to the first two releases. 

Putting the finishing touches on this release's exterior, are it's front and rear details. These are the exact same as the ones that were applied to the previous releases of this casting.

One of the things that I've liked about this castings releases, is how each one was given a different interior color. For this release, the Matchbox designers decided to give it a black interior, which is the best color to go with it's exterior color in my opinion. 



The last vehicle that was acquired, is the second mainline release of the '15 Mercedes-Benz G550. I absolutely love how the choice was made to once again use a matte finish. And what I like, is how they chose to use matte blue. To be honest, I wouldn't be disappointed if the next mainline release of this casting was also given a matte finish. I'm not sure how the overall diecast community feels about this type of paint, but I personally like how the G550 looks with it.

Once again front and rear details were applied to this casting. But there is one difference between this and the previous release. The difference has to do with the front of the spare tire cover. On the matte purple release, this section was just given a tampo Mercedes-Benz emblem. On this release, the front of tire cover received a blue tampo coating as well as the emblem.

This release features the same wheels that were given to the previous one, except this time, they are black with a chrome outer rim. Now yes, black wheels do look great on this model, but I do hope to eventually see one with chrome wheels.



Alright readers, those are all of the vehicles from this mix that I was able to check off of my want list. As I've mentioned, I'm still missing one. If I'm able to find it, I will definitely make a post about it. As always, if you have an opinion about the cars that were featured, feel free to let me know down in the comments. Until next time, thanks for reading and happy diecast collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment