Monday, August 10, 2020

Today on the Boulevard: More Hot Wheel 2020 Case H

Hello and welcome to another edition of Today on the Boulevard! After a long bout of sporadic diecast hunts, I was finally able to acquire three more vehicles from case H. One of these said vehicles, was very tough to find. This is one of those times, where I'm honestly glad the hunt for these is finally over. So without further ado, let's get right to it.

The toughest one to find for me, was the brand new '91 GMC Syclone. GMC isn't a vehicle name that you see too often in the Hot Wheels mainline. So this release is like a breath of fresh air, so to speak. Since I wasn't initially too into pickup trucks, I had to do some home work on this model. In doing so, I found some awesome facts. This model was a high performance version of the Sonoma, and there weren't that many of them made. Another awesome fact that I learned, was how it was powered by a turbocharged six cylinder motor.

In my opinion, this first release might just end up being one of the best releases of this casting. There are two key aspects of this model, that I feel make it so. The body color is the first of those two aspects. Since this is the '91 model, black was the best color possible for this first release. This is due to black being the only color that was available for this Syclone model year. The Hot Wheels RA6 wheels used for this release, are the second aspect. Like these wheels, the real life truck had slanted six spoke wheels. The only difference between these and the real ones, is the direction of the spokes. In other words, the spokes on these RA6 wheels, are facing the wrong way on it's passenger side. This is not a problem for me, since they are similar enough to the real wheels, despite the center of them not being chrome.


I absolutely love the Hot Wheels Screen Time mainline set. This assortment allows us collectors to have vehicles from various cartoons. With that being said, the TMNT Party Wagon is the next vehicle for this post. This casting is not the first Party Wagon from Hot Wheels. For those that didn't know, the first one was made exclusively for the 2019 San Diego Comic-Con. At the time I thought this would only be a one and done thing. Thankfully though, Hot Wheels decided to make different casting for their mainline. And despite the obvious differences, like not having a visible interior, it's ultimately great that they decided to give everyone a chance to own a version.

I didn't always watch TMNT when I was younger. So just like the Syclone, I had to do a bit of homework. This particular Party Wagon, appears to be the original one from 1987. Based off of the pictures I'm seeing, Hot Wheels was able to get the cartoonish proportions right. Tampo details were applied to the front and top of this model. For this release's wheels, Hot Wheels went with their Aero Disk wheels. Even though the wheels on the Comic-Con version are closer to the actual wheels, I personally have no issue with the ones chosen for this mainline version. 




The last car for this feature, is the new '19 Corvette ZR1 Convertible. I fell in love with this version of the C7, the moment I first saw pictures of it. I personally really like design of the front end. For me, it makes this Corvette have an aggressive look. I would usually prefer the coupe version of a car like this, but I actually like this convertible version a lot. Unlike the other C7 releases from Hot Wheels, this casting features side rear view mirrors. This is always a welcomed aspect, and it's nice to see more Hot Wheels castings designed with them.

For this first release, Hot Wheels decided to go with an orange that appears to be based on Chevy's Sebring orange. Since I haven't seen one of these on the road yet, I'm not entirely sure if this shade is correct. As you might know from one of my previous post, I personally feel that certain colors are a perfect match for certain cars. And that's how I feel about this C7 with this color. The wheels featured on this model, are the Hot Wheels PR5s. Since they are similar to the wheels used on the real ZR1, these were the best wheels they could've used for this first release. This release was also given front and rear tampo details, which are always a welcomed sight.

In all honesty, I feel like we need a premium version of this casting. Having one, would make it so all this car's carbon fiber features could receive a black tampo coating. On the real car, the side vents as well as the wing, are carbon fiber. Despite these features not being black, this is still a really well done 1:64 scale recreation of the new ZR1.




Overall these models turned out great. With the Syclone, it will be interesting to see what the future has in store for it. With the C7 ZR1, I hope we eventually see a coupe version that has the taller wing. Alright racers, before you get back to racing, what are your thoughts on these models? And how do you feel about Hot Wheels making the convertible version of  '19 ZR1instead of the coupe? Feel free to let me know down in the comments section. Okay everyone, back to racing! Until next time, thanks for reading and happy collecting!

No comments:

Post a Comment