Friday, August 7, 2020

Successful Matchbox Hunt

Okay readers, welcome to another diecast feature. My most recent diecast hunt yielded some great results, and I was finally able to acquire the last few Matchbox cars that I had been looking for. It may have taken me a little bit, but I am finally done with this Matchbox case. So skipping any further small talk, let's go over what was added to the boulevard.

Debuting this year is the '95 Nissan Hardbody, which also happens to be the first one that I noticed on the pegs. Back when I first got into collecting again, I wasn't much of a pickup guy. Of course things are different now, and I'm glad Matchbox continues to give us collectors stock looking pickups. This model features a color and graphic that was available for the actual pickup. After comparing this to pictures of the real pickup, I feel that Matchbox did a great job recreating the OEM side graphic.

The ten spoke wheels given to this release, in my opinion, look way better than the OEM wheels that were used on the actual pickup. One of the things that's cool about Matchbox's pickups, is how their beds sometimes have additional features, which is the case with this Hardbody. This model's bed, has a spare wheel designed into it. What I like, is how it's the same wheel design as the wheels that were used for this release. This model also features a trailer hitch, which is another cool aspect that Matchbox gives their various pickup truck castings. All in all, this is a great casting, and I'm looking forward to all it's future releases.



The Audi R8 was the next car that I pulled from the pegs. At first, I though someone else beat me to it, but no. It was placed on the back of a peg behind a matte purple G-Wagen. This is one release that I'm excited to finally have. Now I do have the black 2008 Hot Wheels R8, and as much as I like that one, I prefer this Matchbox casting more. There are two main reasons for that. As a whole, I feel this casting has better proportions than the Hot Wheels one. The second reason, is due to this Matchbox version having side rear view mirrors. It's always a nice to see features like this, as it adds a extra touch of realism to the model.

I'm really digging the color that was given to this R8. In my eyes, it looks similar to Audi's daytona grey. Even if the color isn't exact, it's still a great looking color for this model nonetheless. With the wheels, I like their choice to make them black and chrome. Since Matchbox didn't use their five spoke wheels, I'd say they were going for slightly customized look with this release. And by slightly customized, I simply mean an R8 with aftermarket wheels. I personally like how this car looks with these split ten spoke wheels.


Pulled from the pegs next, was the 2018 Ford Mustang Convertible. This casting made it's debut last year, and has had three releases so far. Out of the three releases, this particular one has a few aspects that makes it my number one favorite. The color is what made this an instant buy for me. My opinion aside, you have to agree that this Mustang looks cool with this shade of blue. In fact I'd say this release is sporting Ford's lightning blue. It might not be the exact shade that Ford uses, but in my eyes it's close enough.

Like the real car, this model is also has five spoke wheels. This aspect for me, helps to give this model an authentic stock look. As with most Matchbox releases, this model also has front and rear tampo details. One of the cool details that was given to this model, is a California license plate. Aside from it being California's black and yellow plate, I really like how it reads ''WILD STANG.'' Just the fact that it has a license plate, is a huge bonus over the first two release that didn't feature one.



Like the Hardbody, the Polaris RZR is making it's debut this year. It's also the last vehicle that I needed. Having the legal okay to use Polaris, has led to some great castings. The first of which, was the Slingshot, and now it's with the RZR. Since the card doesn't say the model year, I decided to do some homework on the various RZR model years. Based on the shape of the front end, this appears to be the 2018 model.

For this first release, Matchbox decided to make it black with black wheels. This body/wheel color scheme always looks cool on vehicles like this. The sides of this model, were given a nice set of tampo details. The design featured on this model, is one that I feel, is befitting of a vehicle like this. I also like the colors that were used for it. Red and grey always makes a nice color combination over black. The sides also feature all the decals from the real life RZR XP 1000. I do hope we see many more releases of this casting, as there are numerous colors they could do.


This case overall was pretty good, and it featured some nice new models as well. I personally don't have a specific favorite from this case, but maybe you do. If so, go ahead and let me know down in the comments section. Okay collectors, until next time, happy collecting!

No comments:

Post a Comment