Saturday, June 13, 2020

Today on the Boulevard: One Pop Culture

Welcome diecast collectors, to another edition of Today on the Boulevard! Usually, I don't buy Hot Wheels from the Pop Culture assortments. But sometimes I will, if the car is a casting that I don't have, or if I really like the art that it features. I will also buy them, if I feel like the artwork just works for the vehicle. And that just so happens to be the case with my most recent pick up.

The car featured today, is the '59 Cadillac Funny Car from the newest Pop Culture Disney assortment. Not only do I like the Tim Burton artwork, but this is also a casting that I didn't have. Another reason that I had to have this one, was due to it being a drag car. And it's a drag car with a body that lifts up. This is a realistic feature that I like about these kind of castings from Hot Wheels. To be honest, I don't know the exact inspiration for the design of this casting. But what I do know, is that when I look at it, I get hearse vibes. This is the main reason as to why I feel like the design on this casting works.

With the design, there are two sections that I like the most. The hood art featuring Jack Skellington's face over a spiderweb, is my favorite section on this release. The second section of art that I like, is along the sides. Aside from the pumpkins, I really like the thorny vine styled design. A lot of the times, the art along the sides of these Pop Culture releases, is not the same on both sides. That is one of the reasons as to why, I never fully got into these Pop Culture releases from Hot Wheels. So after pulling up pictures of this release uncarded, I was pleased to see that the art on both sides was the same.      



There are two more things that I like about this release. The first of which, is it's color. Due to the theme of Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas, I feel that black was the perfect color to showcase this artwork. The last thing that I like, was the use of orange for the windows. Combined with the body color, I feel that it completes the overall Halloween theme on this model.

So readers, how did you feel about this Pop Culture assortment as a whole? And do you have a specific favorite among the five cars? Feel free to let me know down in the comments. Alright, that's all for Today on the Boulevard. Until next time, happy diecast collecting!

No comments:

Post a Comment