Saturday, December 3, 2022

Today On The Boulevard: 2022 Hot Wheels "Then And Now" Dodge Viper Pairing - I'm Not Too Happy

Hello, and welcome to a new edition of Today On The Boulevard. For the most part, I'm happy with the various releases we get from Hot Wheels. There's even been times where a release has left me speechless. So you will usually see me praise most of the releases I get. However, things are not always perfect. Sometimes, I will have an issue with one or two of the design choices that are made. Of course, I will still get the release anyway because it's usually nothing serious. But things are a little different this year. For the first time, I'm sharing my thoughts on some releases that I didn't get. Wait, what? Yeah, that's right! There ended up being two releases that I scratched off of my want list due to how disappointed I was with them. So for today's post, I'm going to be explaining why I made the decision to do so. With that being said, let's begin!

Like many of you, I also decided to print out the official 2022 mainline checklist that Hot Wheels made available. As I was flipping through the pages, I saw the name of my all-time favorite car, which is the Dodge Viper. And not only was it just the RT/10, it was also the SRT10 ACR. So I was truly overcome with joy. But my happiness quickly turned to disappointment when I saw what was done to the RT/10. For some reason, Hot Wheels' design team chose to give it the HW Race Team theme. Now, I have said in a past post that I wanted to have more HW Race Team themed releases, but I didn't want the Viper to be one of them, and there's a reason why.

Do you remember the 2020 Treasure Hunt release of the RT/10? Well, in case you don't, that release was also given the HW Race Team theme. So I really don't see why they had to do another one two years later. In my opinion, they've dropped the ball.



There are some key differences between the two, but none of them really matter to me. All I wanted was a simple release, but no, they had to go and do what they've already done again.

So what would I have done, then? Well, let's start with the exterior color. Earlier this year, Hot Wheels release a very nice example of the Custom '01 Acura Integra GSR. And it was finished in a very beautiful metallic dark green. They then used the paint again for the Lancia Delta Integrale. So if it was up to me, I would have used it for this release too.

What about a design? Would I give it one or would I leave it plain? Well, I might like plain releases, but I also have an idea for a design too. Instead of creating a wild design for it, I would have given it simple stripes, and they would have been placed on its hood and trunk. As for a color, I would have either made them white or silver.



Naturally, what was done to the RT/10 is also what was done to the SRT10 ACR, and I'm even more disappointed with it because it's the one I was looking forward to the most. I might have wanted a better RT/10, but at the end of the day, Matchbox has a much better looking casting, and I'm satisfied with the examples I have. Anyway, there really hasn't been any new releases of the SRT10 ACR that I absolutely like, and it's mainly due to the type of designs that are created for them. In my opinion, too many of them look like drift cars, and I don't see why this sports car has to look like one. 

Now, there is one racing themed release that I don't have an issue with, and it's the 2019 Mystery Models release. That one looks like an actual race car that races on a circuit, and I feel that's how this Viper should look if it has a design on it. I know there's folks out there that use Vipers in drift competitions, so many collectors might like those type of releases, but I don't! So that's why I was hoping they would do something simpler. Thankfully, my younger self managed to get the debut release, which is red with a black hood and a red stripe.


My main idea for these isn't the only thing they could have done. Instead of green, they could have made these bright blue with black wheels and no stripes. Of course, there's many other great color schemes they could have picked too, and this would be a very long post if I listed them all.



I never thought I would ever say this, but this year's release of my all-time favorite car is my least favorite 2022 mainline release. I was really hoping they would create something that would make me want to get an extras to have on display.

Now, I do have to admit that there is one good thing about the RT/10. Since the 2020 release was a Treasure Hunt, many fans of the HW Race Team theme might not have been able to get it. So this year's release is definitely a great alternative to it. And I'm sure that's why many of you are happy with the design choice that were made.

So what are your thoughts on this pairing? Did you get them or did you leave them behind like I did? Go ahead and let me know your thoughts down in the comments section. Alright, that's all for this edition of Today On The Boulevard. Until next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment