Tuesday, July 12, 2022

My Want List: 2022 Hot Wheels Case "G" - Part 2

Hello, and welcome to part two of this multi-part edition of My Want List. If you're returning to see how I feel about today's releases, then let me say thank you. If you're new, then be sure to check out part one. Alright, let's go over the next five releases I got from case "G."

I don't know about you, but I think it's exciting when Hot Wheels decides to use a casting they haven't used for many years. I especially like when it's a casting that I either don't have, or want more of. And for this year's mainline, Hot Wheels has finally decided to use an older casting that I wanted more of. So with that being said, after nine years of no releases, the Lotus Sport Elise has finally been used again, and it's actually way better than the last release. 


What was done to the exterior is not why I think it's better than the last release, although, I do like how they chose to make this release match last year's five-pack release of the Lotus Esprit. Anyway, the reason why I think it's better is because the casting has been retooled. 

Unlike the previous version, this one's front end looks way more accurate, and it's now lower to the ground. The other version's front end was obviously designed in a way so the casting could be used on their track sets. So it's still an okay version. Anyway, they also chose to remove the A-pillar that was visible through the window piece. I am a little sad that it no longer has a plastic wing, but it's a change I can live with because I think this casting is now perfect due to the other changes they made. 


Hopefully they'll give us many more nice looking releases of this version. I, for one, would love to see this version used at least six more times.


I wasn't always into Matchbox, but there was one release that made me pay attention to the brand. And it was the white Alfa Romeo 4C. I might have missed so many great releases if I didn't come across that one release at the Dollar Tree. So diecast versions of Alfa Romeo's vehicles will always be special to me. Now, after I got that release, I took to the internet to see if Hot Wheels had any Alfa Romeo castings. 

To my surprise, they did. One of the ones that piqued my interest was the 8C Competizione, and it was a casting I really wanted to have. Sadly, there was only one mainline release of it, and that was back in 2014. After that, it was used for the multi-packs, and I don't really pay attention to those much, since I've come across some that were altered. So I came to the conclusion that I'd have to try and get one of the debut releases off of the secondary market. Fortunately, Hot Wheels has finally deiced to give us another mainline release of it, and it's the next one I checked off of my want list.  


This was actually the easiest release to find, and that's most likely because it was finished in a red that's similar to the red that was used for the 2014, 2015, and 2016 releases. I, for one, am glad they used the color again, but I can totally understand why you wouldn't want it. After all, there's been a few times where I'm also disappointed with a release due to the fact that it's too similar to one I already have.


It might be similar to an older release, but I think collectors shouldn't have overlooked it. Why is that? Well, take a look at the wheels. After all these years, the designers have finally given this casting some different wheels. Prior to this one, all of its releases were given the PR5s. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's worth having an example of this casting with different wheels. 


When the Mustang Mach-E 1400 made it's debut, I said that the "HW Green Speed" was going to be a mainline series I payed more attention to if they continued to make releases like that. well, now I'm going to start paying way more attention to the series because Hot Wheels has given us two more castings that are simply awesome. 

As most of you already know, GMC is going to be making a new version of the Hummer. And I knew we'd eventually see a 1:64 scale version of it from one of Mattel's diecast brands. But I didn't know which version we'd see. Well, I now have my answer.


As you can see, Hot Wheels has given us the SUT version of the vehicle, and I think it's a well designed casting. One of this vehicle's coolest features is its "Infinity Roof," which has removable panels. And the designers chose to make this casting depict the vehicle with the front panels removed. I do think it would have looked even cooler with the rear ones removed too, but I can live with their decision to include them into the design of the window piece.  


In case you didn't know, the first available version of this vehicle is called "Edition 1," and all of them are white with bronze wheels. Now, I do think it would have been cool if this debut release was based on that one, but I don't mind their decision to give us a yellow one. The reason for that is because yellow was my preferred color for the H2, and it would most likely be the color I'd pick if I was going to buy one of these.  


It's no lie that electric vehicles are the future. As such, we're starting starting to see new automakers like Rivian and Lucid Motors. So far, we have yet to see a diecast version of Rivian's vehicles, and I'm not sure if there'll ever be one. Of course, that could change within the next few years. Anyway, Mattel was able to get the license to make Lucid's vehicle, and that made it so we could have a Hot Wheels replica of the Lucid Air.


This is a really good first release, and I'm pleased with their decision to give it the RA6 wheels, which based on the real car's wheels, are the best possible ones they could have given this casting. And to be honest, they are the main reason why I'm glad Hot Wheels is the brand that made this car. I mean, a Matchbox version would have most likely looked just as good, but they just don't have enough wheels to use. And I do like seeing castings with wheels that look somewhat similar to the wheels seen on the real cars. 


Now, as you can see, this first release was finished in silver, which would make it based on Lucid's "Cosmos Silver." That isn't a bad color for this car, but it's not the color I'd pick for mine. Additionally, silver is kind of a common color like white. So what color would I pick? Well, I happen to love the look of Lucid's "Eureka Gold." So I hope to eventually see a release of this casting that's finished in gold. 


I had a huge smile on my face back in 2020, and that was because Hot Wheels finally gave us another one of Koenigsegg's vehicles to collect. And it was a mainline casting, which made me even even happier. All we had prior to that was the Agera, and I didn't yet have a release of it in my collection. So I was thrilled to finally have one of Koenigesgg's vehicles in my collection. I also had high hopes that they'd be able to continue using the company's name for many years to come. That would make it so there'd be a higher chance of seeing their other vehicles made. 

Now, I really wasn't expecting to see anything new right away. I, for one, though it'd be many years before another one was made. But no, I was wrong. This year's case "G" has the debut release of the Gemera, and I feel it's one of the highlights from this case. 


I think we can all agree that this is a perfect 1:64 scale replica of the Gemera. It was finished in a grey that's similar to the color used for the real car, and it has the 10-spoke wheels, which I feel are the best possible wheels for it. Although, I do have to admit that I wish they'd make a new 9-spoke wheel, as that would make a lot of their replicas look a little more accurate. Anyway, like the real car, this too has a yellow interior, and I love how it looks like the exact color Koenigsegg used for the Gemera's interior. 


There's most likely going to be many releases of this casting going forward, and one of them might just be finished in a nice version of my favorite color. However, this one will probably be my all-time favorite one due to the design choices that were made for it.


Alright, those are the last five releases I picked for this multi-part edition of My Want List. Overall, this case was packed with many great releases, and if you were to ask me which one I like the most, I honestly couldn't tell you. That's how nice I think all of these are. And now that I think about it, I'm definitely going to have a hard time trying to pick releases for this month edition of Best On The Block.

So do you have a favorite release from this case? If you do, then go ahead and let me know down in the comments section. Okay, that's all for today. Until next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting. And remember, these are just toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment