Saturday, April 16, 2022

Today On The Boulevard: 2022 Hot Wheels Case D Red Editions

Hello, and welcome to another edition of Today On The Boulevard. It goes without saying that store exclusive releases can be exciting to find. And it's even more exciting when it's an exclusive recolor of a release you like. So even though they aren't a priority for me, I do tend to keep an eye out for them whenever I go looking. Now, so far, this year's mainline has had many great looking releases, and there have been a few that have stood out above the rest. And to my surprise, three of them were chosen to be a part of this year's Target Red Edition series. 

For the most part, I'm pleased with the design choices that were made for these three, however, I do a small issue with two of them. But I'll talk about that after I point out the things I like, since it's nothing major. So with that being said, let's go over these latest Red Editions.

Earlier in the year, Hot Wheels put a huge smile on my face with the case B release of the '73 BMW 3.0 CSL Race Car. As most of you already know, some castings only get a few releases before they aren't really used anymore. And I was starting to think that was going to be the case for this awesome race car. Now, I'll admit that I was satisfied with the older releases, but I did want to see one that wasn't finished in white or black. So that's why I was stoked to see this year's release, and now I'm even happier because Hot Wheels has decided to make it one of this year's Red Editions.


Like I said, I wanted to see one of these finished in a color that's not white or black, and Hot Wheels has basically granted my wish.  And I have to say, this car truly looks outstanding finished in red. So I'm glad they chose to use it instead of one of the other two colors that are sometimes used for the Red Editions. 

As for the livery, I think they picked an interesting color scheme for it, and I do mean that in a good way. In my opinion, the grey they picked combines nicely with the other colors used for this release. 


The color of the base is one of the other things I liked about this year's release. Unlike the previous basic ones, this year's release was given a base that's not the same color as the rest of the car. And I feel it helped to create a very colorful release. So I'm very pleased with their decision to once again use a different colored base for this Red Edition release.


The next one I'm going to talk about is the '76 Greenwood Corvette. As you might know from an older post, this is a casting I look forward to each year. And that is because of the awesome liveries they create for it. Now, this year's release features a livery that's not as flashy as some of the other ones created for this casting, but it is still cool nonetheless. And the additional real-life sponsor decals made me like it even more. At the end of the day, it was truly another great release of this awesome race car, and that's why I'm glad to see a special release of it. 


This isn't the first time red was used for this casting, but I'm not going to complain because there is a reason why I'm happy with this color choice. And no, it's not because its a Red Edition release. Although... I am glad that it's actually one of the red ones. Anyway, the two previous red releases were in 2016 and 2018. And despite being a slightly different shade, they are both dark red. That's why I'm happy with this release. I feel it's refreshing to see one that's finished in a brighter shade of red. 

Another similarity is seen with the colors used for the liveries. Both of those dark red releases have liveries that feature yellow stripes, and a racing number that is also yellow. Now, there's nothing wrong with that, but having a similar color scheme doesn't make them stand out as much. So I feel this release stands out because it's red and it doesn't have any yellow designs on it.



Okay, now it's time for me to talk about my issue with these two, and like I said, it's nothing major. In fact, my issue has to do with one specific detail, and it's the racing number. In my opinion, they should have changed it. Remember the debut release of the CSL? Well, there ended up being a recolor of it later that year, and its racing number was changed. So I know it's something they could have done. And doing that would have helped to make these special recolors stand out even more from their regular counterparts.

Alright, now that I got that out of the way, let me move on to the third and final Red Edition release from case D. 

The Volkswagen Beetle is one of the releases I had on my case B want list, and the reason why is because I only had one release that I really liked. So I was thrilled to finally get my hands on another nice one, and I ended up liking it more than the other one I had due to it being finished in blue. Well, Hot Wheels has decided to make a Red Edition release of it, and it's one of the ones that's not actually red.


I still like this year's first release more, and that's simply because it's blue. But that doesn't mean I dislike this one. In fact, it's quite the opposite. Overall, it's not a bad looking release, and I do think black is another color that combines nicely with the wood details. So I actually don't mind their decision to use black instead of red.  


Changing the color of the wheels is one way to make a special release stand out more, and that is one of the good things about this Red Edition release. Unlike the CSL and the Greenwood, this Beetle has wheels that aren't the same color as the regular mainline release's wheels.


If you were to ask me which of the three I liked the most, I'd tell you that I couldn't answer that question. Despite my issue with the racing numbers being the same, I honestly like all three of them equally, and I feel they great additions to anyone's collection. So I hope you were able to find them as well. 

So how do you feel about these three? Do you have a specific favorite? Go ahead and let me know down in the comments section. Alright, that's all for this edition of Today On The Boulevard. Till next time, thank for reading, and happy collecting. And remember, these are just toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment