Saturday, April 23, 2022

My Want List: 2022 Hot Wheels Case B And C - Better Late Than Never

Hello everyone! Welcome to a new edition of My Want List. Last month, I was able to get my hands on some of the releases I wanted from this year's case B, as well as case C. However, I wasn't able to find everything. Then case D started to show up at my local stores. Now, this wasn't the first time something like this has happened. In other words, this wasn't the first time I started to see newer releases when I still needed to find older ones. So the search continued for them, and as luck would have it, one of my local stores had many remnants of older releases. And that led to me finally being able to check some more releases off of my want list.

Now, before I get this post started, I thought I'd take a moment to say thank you. Obviously, these are old news now, so I appreciate you taking the time to see what I have to say about them. Okay, now it's time to go over what I got. And I'm going to start things off by talking about the case B releases first, then I'll move on to the ones from case C.

I love classic race cars from Hot Wheels, and that's why I really like the new Retro Racers mainline set. In fact, it will definitely be a set I look forward to each year. Now, case B featured the debut of a new retro racer, and it is the '87 Ford Sierra Cosworth. I actually didn't think I'd have that hard of a time finding it, since the Ford Race Team box set ended up becoming a peg warmer in my area. But I guess this casting is something people have been waiting for, and I think I might know why.    


Initially, I thought the Hot Wheels designers once again showed their ability to create a racing livery that looks like it's based on an actual one. Well, as it turns out, this release's livery is in fact based on an actual one. Upon looking this car up on the internet, I came across a picture of a Texaco sponsored one racing on a circuit. And I immediately spotted the similarities between the two. So basically, the designers did the same thing they did with the Rothmans themed Porsche 962. They used the overall theme, but changed the decals, and I think it looks just as good as the actual Texaco Sierra Cosworth. And I'm pretty sure most of you do too, which is why I had such a hard time finding it. 


Although I'd like to have a plain release of this casting, I do have to admit that I'm hoping to see another nice racing themed release. And I'd love to see one with a livery that matches the MK2 from the Ford Race Team box set. In my opinion, this car would look fantastic with that stripe. I also think it'd look great with the stripe design that was applied to the debut release of the RS200. Of course, those are just two of the ideas that instantly come to mind, and I'm sure the designers have something just as good if not better planned for this casting. 


The Track Manga is the next one I got, and it was a release that I ended up removing from my want list. But after a while, I started to have second thoughts about that decision. So I decided to add it back to my want list, and thankfully, it was extremely easy to find.


Although it's not a terrible looking release, the "SPOILER ALERT" decal is the reason why I chose to remove it from my want list. Personally, it just isn't something I'd put on the side of a car. But I can ignore a specific detail if I like the overall design. And I truly like the one they created for this release. So that's why I made the decision to add it to my collection. 

There's actually another reason why I chose to get it, and I think you might know what it is. I mean, do I even need to say it? Basically, it's blue! I know the debut release was also blue, but I definitely wasn't interested in the sports theme they gave it. So I've spent many days hoping to see another blue one that's better, and this is that release.



Okay, I can finally say that I'm now done with this year's case B. I really can't believe how long it took me to find the Ford, but it's better late than never. With that said, it's now time to move on to the releases I got from this year's case C.

Case C also had a Retro Racers release I wanted, and unlike the Cosworth, I knew right away that it was going to be a little difficult to find because it featured the iconic Gulf Racing livery. So I'm not surprised that it took me this long to finally find this year's release of the '67 Ford GT 40 Mk.IV.


In my opinion, the Gulf livery on any Ford GT is a combination that's similar to raisins in oats. So I'm extremely pleased with their decision to use the livery for this particular one. And I really like how it matches the 2020 Race Day release of the GT-40. Now, unlike the aforementioned release, this one features an additional stripe along its sides. So I feel it looks a little better than the Race Day GT-40. 



Cars and pickup trucks aren't the only vehicles that are modified. As you know, there are folks out there that like their vans enough to modify them, and Hot Wheels has long since caught wind of that. And that is why we've gotten some rad custom van castings over the years. Now, America isn't the only place where you'd see a modified van. Over in Japan, the B-series Dodge Van has gained a following, and they don't just customize them either. These vans are also raced. So Hot Wheels making a "Dajiban" casting was inevitable, and I'm glad to finally have the second release of it. 


From what I've read, these vans were used by Motorcycle racers to transport their equipment. Now, instead of a motorcycle, Hot Wheels chose to make its interior piece feature a go-kart. So I'm really glad to have a release of this casting that has the appearance of being owned by a go-kart shop. And I feel they picked a magnificent exterior color for it. 

I also want to briefly put the spotlight on the additional decals because they contributed to how I feel about the shop theme. In case you didn't know, all of the aftermarket companies featured on this release have products for karting. So I feel they are a nice touch. 


You know, it' too bad they don't use their Go Kart casting anymore. If I was a part of their team, I would have suggested making a kart that somewhat matches this release. So I would have painted it the same color, and instead of a shop theme, I would have given it a Hoosier Tires livery. 


Was the Barbie Dream Camper on your 2021 want list? It was on mine, and I basically got it because I felt that it was a unique casting. Well, Hot Wheels has decided to release it again in this year's mainline, and I chose to add it to my want list. To be honest though, there's not a whole lot to say about this release. Sure, its exterior features a different design, but that's about it. The only other major difference is the base's color. Unlike the first release, this one's base was left unpainted.


I'm sure Hot Wheels is going to use this casting a few more times, however, this might just be the last one I get. I mean, the casting itself is fine, it's just I don't see them doing much with it. After all, pink is basically the main Barbie color. Of course, I could still end up getting a future release, but they'd have to make one that looks way better than this or the first release. 



As much as I like the Screen Time castings, they eventually become ones I no longer pay attention to. And that is because there isn't always anything different between the various releases of each casting. One such example of that is the recent release of the U.S.S. Enterprise. Of course, I completely understand why they don't make changes to certain replicas. After all, these vehicles do belong to different entities. So it's not like they can always do whatever they want, and that's fine. Fortunately, some of these castings are able to recolored, and to my surprise, the X-Jet is one of them.


From what I can gather, this casting is based on the one seen in the 90's cartoon, and it was blue. So for fans of the show, the debut release of this casting will be the best one. As for me, I kind of like this one more, and I guess it's because I was always fascinated by the SR-71 as a kid. At the end of the day though, both releases are great models to have. And since it looks like they can do whatever they want, I hope to see many different color releases, as well as some with designs. 

The next release I wanted from case C is the '19 Chevy Silverado Trail Boss, and I knew I'd have a difficult time finding it. Sometimes, a specific theme can turn a peg warmer into a must-have that everyone will go after. And I've noticed that Borla themed releases are starting to be like the Gulf themed ones. I remember when I used to see the Borla themed '16 Camaro SS sitting everywhere. Anyway, I'm very pleased with this release of the Silverado, and I think it's a great addition to the ever-expanding Hot Wheels Borla collection.


Similar to the this year's release of the Jeep Gladiator, this too features a decal that lets you know what exhaust system it has. And once again, I feel it was a nice addition to the overall design. 


I really like how they've given us multiple matching Borla themed releases that don't have the exact same design. And I hope they continue to do that going forward. I'm also still hoping to eventually see a Borla themed Team Transport hauler. 


Okay, that's all of the releases I found. Now, unlike case B, I'm still not entirely done with case C. There is still one more release I want to get, and I don't know if I'll ever see it. But if I do, I'll definitely make a post about. At the end of the day, I'm very happy with the releases I found, and I'm especially happy to have the two from the Retro Racers mainline set.

So how do you feel about the releases I talked about today? Go ahead and let me know down in the comment section. Alright, that's all for this edition of My Want List. Till next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting. And remember, these are just toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment