Monday, March 21, 2022

Hot Wheels & Matchbox: A Little Bit Of This & A Little Bit Of That

Hello everyone, welcome to another additional feature here on the boulevard. Since I've gotten back into collecting, there's been many times where I've been able to get everything I want in one day. And it's always exciting when that happens. Of course, diecast hunting doesn't always go my way. Most of the times, I end up leaving the store empty handed. Then there's the times when I'm able to find a few remnants from various sets. And that's exactly what happened on a recent diecast hunt. So for today's post, I'm going to be sharing everything I found.

So my first stop that day was Walmart, and as I expected, the basic car pegs were empty. So I then turned my attention to the other pegs, which had some remnants. To my surprise, there were two releases left from the latest Stars & Stripes assortment. To be honest, I wasn't really expecting to see this set yet. You'd think they would have released it a little closer to the Fourth of July, but hey, I'm not complaining. 

Although I would have liked to have found the whole set, I'm definitely happy with the two I found. I'm especially happy that the '84 Corvette is one of the ones I found. Sadly, I only had one other release of this casting prior to this one. So the moment I spotted it, I instantly pulled it from the peg it was hanging from.


Not having many of these is why I'm glad it features a design that's not too wild. In fact, I'd happily drive a C4 that looked exactly like this.



The 1984 Pontiac Firebird is the second one I found. To be honest, I'm a little worried about this casting. I know this is only the third release of it, but this is the second time it has been released as a store exclusive. I was so excited when they first showed it, and I thought they were going to do many mainline releases of it. But that hasn't been the case. So I hope this doesn't end up being another one of the castings that's not used much. Okay, that's enough about the casting itself, let me move on to how I feel about this release of it.


I actually think this release is just as cool as the C4, and I'd probably also happily drive one that looked like this. Now, even though I like it, I do have to say that I wish they would have picked a different exterior color for it. As you know, the previous release was also finished in black. So I would have chose to make this release white instead.



After I got done at Walmart, I decided to check a nearby Target with the hopes of finding some more mainlines. Remember, I'm still on the hunt for the rest of what I want from case B. So I had my fingers crossed that I'd finally be able to complete my want list. Sadly, their mainline pegs were as bare as Walmart's. So I turned my attention to the Matchbox pegs, and that's when I noticed some remnants of the Matchbox Collectors Series. 

Unfortunately, I was only able to get two of the three I wanted from this particular assortment. But once again, I was happy with what I was able to find. I mean, finding any of the releases from the Collectors Series is a win in my book! So the first one I wanted is the 2014 Mercedes-Benz G500 Cabrio.


I don't know how you feel about it, but I think this is an awesome first release. I, for one, am really happy with the design choices made for it. A black Mercedes-Benz will always look superb with black wheels. I also really like how they chose to give it a satin finish. 



The '64 Pontiac Grand Prix is the next release I wanted. And now that I have it, I can honestly say that I like it as much as the previous three. 


There are many different colors they could have picked for this fourth release, but I think white is an okay color for this American classic. I should also mention that I'm very pleased with their decision to use different wheels. 



After I got done at Target, I decided to call it a day. So that's all four of the releases I was able to find. It might have only been a little bit of this and a little bit of that, but it's better than leaving the store empty handed. I still wish I was able to sore some more mainlines, but that's just how things go. So the hunt continues!

Okay, how do you feel about these four? Go ahead and let me know down in the comments section. Alright, that's all for this additional feature. Till next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting. And remember, these are just toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment