Friday, December 3, 2021

Today On The Boulevard: Surprise Matchbox Finds

Hello, and welcome to a new edition of Today On The Boulevard. While I was out looking to see what I could find, I ended up coming across some Matchbox pegs that were filled to the brim. Since things are the way they are, I figured they were probably older releases. That's usually the only time the pegs are ever full. Anyway, I was correct. The pegs were filled with releases from this year's mix six. But after a close inspection, I noticed two releases I hadn't seen before. So with that being said, let's go over what I found.

Back in April, I wrote a post titled: Matchbox Is Going Green - My Thoughts. In it, I shared how I felt about Matchbox deciding to put more of a emphasis on being eco-friendly with their various products. And one of the highlights of the news was their new Tesla Roadster casting, which I felt was great because it would help to make children be a little more interested in electric vehicles. 

Obviously I wasn't the only one that wrote about the announcement. There were many others, and some of them were even sent the car. I wasn't one of them, so I couldn't really share my thoughts on the casting itself. However, Mattel did have pictures available for everyone to use in their post.

Now why did I bring that up? Well, one of the releases I found just so happens to be the new Tesla Roadster. After seeing the pictures of it, I was eagerly awaiting the arrival of this car. It's not the white one they sent around to various people, but it's definitely finished in a nice color. 


I have to say, this is a very beautiful red, and I love how it's matte. Now white is still an okay color for any Tesla, and I'd still instantly add a white release of this one to my want list. But I just happen to really like when releases are finished in matte colors. Okay, that's enough drooling over the paint. Let's move on to how I feel about the casting.

In my honest opinion, they did a really good job with this casting. I knew I was going to like it, I just could form a solid opinion based on the pictures they provided. But I honestly feel they were able to masterfully re-create this electric car in 1:64 scale. This is definitely a must-have casting, and I can't wait to see it's future releases. 



Back in 2019, Matchbox gave us the Subaru SVX, which is a car you don't see too often. And for a matter of fact, I've only ever seen one driving around. Anyway, I couldn't wait to add more of them to my collection. So I was a little disappointed when the 2020 mainline came and went without one being released. That led to me wondering if the next release was going to be in a 9-pack. Fortunately, that's not the case. The SVX has finally gotten a second release, and it's the next one I found.


Now, I'm sure you all remember how the diecast world lost a great designer that was responsible for a lot of the castings we love. Well it looks like Mattel's diecast brands are going to do various things to honor his legacy. An example of  what their doing is see with this release and it's card. 


As for the release itself, the design team chose to put "Asada" on the license plate section. These additional features are definitely a great way to honor the legacy of someone who was important to both of Mattel's diecast brands, as well as the diecast community.


So those are the two surprise Mathcbox releases I found. I really thought I was done with this year's mix six, but I guess I wasn't. Like I said, the pegs were filled to the brim with the other mix six releases, so that's why I'm saying these are from that mix. Now if I'm wrong, please let me know down in the comments. After all, I'm not in the know.

Alright, that's all for this edition of Today On The Boulevard. Until next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting. And remember, these are just toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment