Sunday, December 12, 2021

Hot Wheels 1/4 Mile Finals & A Matchbox

Hello, and welcome to a new additional feature here on the boulevard. For the most part, I'm able to find most of the releases I have on my want list. However, there are times when I'm only able to find remnants. And sadly, that's usually the case with the various store exclusive sets from both of Mattel's diecast brands. It's especially disappointing when it's a set that features releases I'd love to have. But as you know, I don't make these releases a priority, so I'm never truly upset. After all, I've been collecting for a while now, so I'm used to how things are with this hobby. 

Now then, as you can see from the title, both of Mattel's diecast brands have released a Walmart exclusive set, and I was only able to find remnants from both. The Hot Wheels set is called 1/4 Mile Finals, and the Matchbox set is the second assortment of their Truck Series. So with that being said, I'm going to talk about the releases from the Hot Wheels set first, since most of what I got came from it. After that, I'll talk about the release I got from Matchbox set. So let's get started!

I have to say, I really like this new 1/4 Mile Finals set, and I truly wish I was able to find all five of the releases from it. Unfortunately, the stars didn't align for me that day. All but one of the releases were left, and I think you already know which one was hoarded. I mean... I'm sure you weren't able to find it either, or maybe you did. Anyway, I know Bugatti's vehicles are stunning, but it's truly unfortunate that folks have decided to make them the ones to hoard like they do with the various Datsun releases. I might be wrong, but I really don't see these newer Bugatti releases going up in value like the original Veyron did. But what do I know, it's not like I'm interested in any of that anyway. Alright, that's enough talk about the one I couldn't get. Let's move on to the four I got.

The first release I'm going to talk about is the Lamborghini Aventador Miura Homage. The last time Hot Wheels released this version of the Aventador was back in 2018. Ultimately, there were two different color releases of it, and one of them was a Kmart exclusive. After that, I was curious to see what color they'd choose for the next release. What I didn't know, was that I was going to have to wait a few years to get my answer.


I know this is the Miura Homage edition of the Aventador, but I actually have the very first release of this casting. And in case you didn't know, that release was also finished in orange. So it wouldn't have been an issue if I wasn't able to get this one. But since it was there, I figured why not have all three color releases of the Miura Homage.

Although I got it, I have to admit that I think the other two are slightly better. Sure, orange and gold is an okay color scheme, but I think the other two colors picked combine a little better with the gold that was used for the stripe. Of course, that's just my personal preference for this particular Aventador. To be fair, this is still a great release for those of you that missed the other two color releases.



The Porsche 918 Spyder has finally made another appearance, and I'm glad it got overshadowed by the Bugatti. I was eagerly awaiting another release of this casting, and I'm pleased with the design choices made for it. Although... there is one thing I don't like about this release, but I'll get to that in a minute because I want to focus on what I like first.


As is the case with a lot of releases, the exterior color picked is what made me want to have this one. I believe it's the same green that was used for the recolor of the 2018 release of the 934 Turbo RSR. And I feel it's a color that's perfect for just about any Porsche.

The stripe design wasn't something that made me buy this release, but that doesn't mean I don't like it. It's just I don't always look at all of the detail applied to each release because I don't spend too much time down the row after I get what I want. For the most part, I hone in on specific things I like. Anyway, now that I've had the chance to really look at it, I think it's a nice addition to this release. 


Alright, like I said, there's one thing I don't like about this release, and it has to do with the lack of details on the back half of it. For some reason, Hot Wheels chose to omit those details for this release, and I feel it was a mistake. In my opinion, this casting just doesn't look right without it's exhaust details. I really hope having a stripe design didn't make it so it couldn't have them. I don't like speculating, but it'd be truly disappointing if that was the case. The mainline releases were also given stripe designs, so I don't see why this release couldn't have also had the additional details too. And you'd think they would have added them to a release that cost slightly more than a mainline.


The third car I'm going to talk about is the McLaren Senna. I don't know about you, but yellow is one of my preferred colors for the P1. And that's why the 2016 release continues to be one of my favorites to this day. Now why did I bring that up? Well, it's because I've wanted to see the Senna also finished in the color. And after five years, my prayers have finally been answered!


I have to say, the Senna looks absolutely marvelous finished in this color. I know I've said this in an older post, but I'm going to say it again. I love how exotic cars look finished in bright colors. They truly help to make these vehicles stand out even more than they do. Now it might seem like this is my new all-time favorite release of this casting, but it's not. Currently, I like all of this casting's releases equally, and how could I not. This is one of those cars that'll look good finished in just about any color. I'm just excited to finally have one finished in yellow.



The '18 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon might not be an exotic like the other three, but it's definitely worthy of being in this set with them. And I'm glad it's one of the ones that was left because I really like the design choices made for it.


I don't know if it's an exact match, but I'm going to say this release is finished in a color that's based on Dodge's Destroyer Grey. Since I don't have access to a real one, I have to use Google Images to make a comparison. And compared to the color seen in most pictures, this one looks just a tad bit lighter. But don't quote me because I'm not sure. Ultimately, the color picked for this release is fantastic, and it contributed to it being another great release of it.

Besides the color, I also like how they choice to give it a black stripe design, and all black wheels. I just wish they painted the entire hood black, but that's okay because I have no issue with the stripes on the scoop. 



Okay, now it's time to talk about the release I got from the second Matchbox Truck Series assortment. Similar to the Hot Wheels set, all but one of the releases were there. In my area, the '70 Chevy El Camino is the one that was hoarded. And that's perfectly fine because that made it so there were multiples of the '62 Nissan Junior left on the pegs. I was truly overjoyed to see it because it was the only one I really wanted from this second assortment. 

My reasoning for wanting it has nothing to do with the fact that it's a JDM. Do you remember White Booth Wednesday #105? If you missed it, the vehicle I picked for that edition was the debut release of this casting. In that post, I said that I didn't end up getting any of this casting's latest releases because I didn't feel the need to have one of these with a design. Well, I also should have said that the designs created for them weren't to my liking. So I've been patiently waiting for one with a design I like, and the wait is finally over! It's like they say, "good things come to those who wait."


The design created for this release is exactly what I was waiting for. You could never go wrong with a simple design that features Nissan's racing colors.



Alright, that's all of the release for today's post. All in all, I'm happy with these five new additions to my collection. Now then, as for the Veyron, I'll keep an eye out for it whenever I go to Walmart. After all, I was able to eventually find the Exotic Envy Chiron, so there's still a chance. Although... it's a very, and I mean very small chance.

So how do you feel about these two sets? Feel free to let me know down in the comments section. Okay, that's all for this additional feature. Till next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting. And remember, these are just toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment