Monday, August 23, 2021

Looking At: 2021 Hot Wheels Team Transport Case M - New Pairings Only

Hello everyone, welcome to a new edition of Looking At. Usually, these post are made when I'm talking about all of the releases from an assortment. However, that's not the case with this edition. Unfortunately, Hot Wheels decided to only make two new pairings for this case. The other two, are repeats that a lot of us (my self included) have. To be fair, this can actually be a good thing for those of you that couldn't get the Advan themed R32 and Sakura Sprinter. Or maybe, you couldn't get the [HOONIGAN] themed "Baja Bug." You might have even wanted a second one of those two to open. No matter the reason, someone out there will benefit from this case having repeats. Anyway, that's enough talk about those. Let's get to the new pairs.

The Ford RS 200 and the new Rally Van, are the first of the two new pairings in this case. I've really been enjoying all of the "Ford Race Team" themed premium releases. Last month, Hot Wheels gave us a beautiful box set with the new MK2 casting, and now we've gotten another set of vehicles that are just as good.


I'll be honest, I was little disappointed when I first saw pictures of this second RS 200 release. My issue was with their decision to release another one finished in white. At the time, I felt that it would have been better if we got a release that was blue with white stripes. Of course, I might have been the only one that thought that. 

My opinion of this second release changed after I was able to get the Ford box set. I know they didn't use the same blue for the livery, but I feel the releases in this set match the releases in the box set perfectly. And I like when team specific releases match. It's similar to how the Advan releases match each other. Okay, let's move on to the Rally Van and it's trailer.


It might be a little surprising, but I was actually more excited for the Rally Van and it's trailer, than I was for the RS 200. When Hot Wheels first announced the Team Transport series, I never thought I'd end up seeing a Van with a trailer. I can honestly say that I like where this is going. I still like the trucks, but this combination is definitely a nice addition to the Team Transport series.


For an unlicensed casting, this van is really nice. At first glance, you'd think that it had a real-life counterpart. To this day, that's what I like about some of  the unlicensed castings. I don't want to speculate, but I feel they used the '69 Ford Econoline as a inspiration for it's design. Of course, I might be wrong, since I'm not in the know. So if you know which van they used, feel free to let me know down in the comments.  

As for the trailer, I'm not entirely sure if every Hot Wheels casting will fit on it. I run into this problem when I try to put some of my open releases on the Fast Bed Hauler and the Flatbed King from Matchbox. I almost feel like buying another one of these just to test it out. Even if a lot of castings don't fit, you have to admit that it's a neat little piece from Hot Wheels. Alright, let's get to that second new pairing.



The '74 Chevy Vega Pro Stock has finally been released again, and it's paired with the Horizon Hauler. Now, some of you might have wanted this release due to the fact that it features a Summit Racing Equipment theme, and it does make this a nice model to have. But that's it's not the main reason why I added this pairing to my want list. Unlike the RS200, this Chevy Vega was a casting I didn't have. It made it's debut back in 2011, and it only had two more releases after that. So this is one more casting I don't have to go bankrupt for.



It's too bad this Vega casting isn't used more. They really could have used it instead of the '55 Bel Air Gasser in the 2018 Drag Stripe Demons Car Culture assortment. I know a lot of you like that casting, but it's had way more releases than this one. I guess I just don't like when hype castings overshadow some of the other great Hot Wheels castings.


If I had to score this case, I'd give it a 7 out of 10. The two new pairings are nice, but the repeats keep me from saying that it's a perfect case. But that's just how I feel. Like I said at the start of this post, someone out there will benefit from this case having repeats. So you might score it higher. 

Okay, what are your thoughts on the decision to add a van and trailer to the Team Transport series? Go ahead and let me know down in the comments section. Well, that's all for this edition of Looking At. Until next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting. And remember, these are just toys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment