Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Matchbox Collectors Series Mix 2 - What I Was Able To Get

Welcome to today's post. So far, the Matchbox Collector series has produced some excellent releases for us to collect, and I'm very pleased with what's been made. Now, unlike the first mix, I was unable to find everything from this one. However, I was able to find three of the ones I wanted. So with that being said, let's get this post started. 

Although I really wanted all three of the ones I got, there was one model in particular from this mix that I just had to have. And I was thankfully able to get it. The model in question, is the Henry J Gasser, which is the one you saw from my social media post.

My collection is seriously lacking in drag cars, which is why I try to get as many of the current releases as I can. And this Henry J Gasser is just what I needed. This casting's reverse opening hood, and chrome velocity stacks, are the two features I really like. 


Now that I mentioned what I like the most about the casting itself, I need to talk about the design choices made for this release. I think we can all agree that this release is perfect. It's exterior was finished in a nice shade of orange, and it features a design that's perfect for this kind of vehicle. I also like how they named it the "Sunset Rocket," which is a neat name for this drag car.

As you can see, the back half of this release features "Matchbox Speed Shop." The reason I'm pointing this out, is because it's the same decal that was used for the second release of the Divco Milk Truck. Basically, what I'm getting at, is that this and that release will look great sitting next to each other. We have the shop truck, and we now have the car that was built by them. All we'd need now, is a Matchbox Speed Shop playset to display them. Or... you diorama builders could just make yourself one.


The only critical opinion I have of this release, is that it's rear end was left plain. In my opinion, the rear could have at least been given tail lights. At the end of the day though, this really isn't a huge issue.


The next one I got, is the Lamborghini Centenario. I'm glad to see another release of this awesome casting. One day I'm going to have to try and get an extra one to open. Doing so, will make so I could see it with it's scissor doors open.  

Black with red accents, is what the designers chose for this release. While this isn't a bad color scheme, I do wish they would have chose to use a brighter color. As you know, the debut release of this casting featured a grey exterior with yellow accents. I know these dark exterior colors are perfect for accents, but I want to see one of these finished in a bright color. 


This release basically has the same front and rear details as the debut release. However, unlike that one, the top of this one has an additional accent.

Okay, now I want to talk about this release's wheels. As you know, the real Centenario has five-spoke wheels, and I doubt owners of these cars are interested in buying aftermarket wheels for them. This is one of the good things about diecast models. Basically, we get to see how a car would look with different wheels. And I happen to think this car looks a-okay with the black lace wheels that were picked.   


The last one I was able to find, is the 1962 Volkswagen Beetle. I only had two releases of this casting before this one, so I'm glad to finally have a third one in my collection. And this one is actually very nice. The shade of purple that was picked for it's exterior, is what I like the most about it. In fact, I almost wish it didn't have a design along it's sides. 

Although I would have preferred a plain purple release, I will admit that the design is not bad. Overall, this release has the appearance of being owned by a surf board shop. This is evident by the "MB Boards" decal. I should also mention that I like the additional "Hawaii or bust" decal. If you think about it, this could be the slogan for this fantasy surf board shop. So having this detail definitely helps to complete the theme. Besides the decals, I also like how the design features a surf board. 


The interior color, is one of the other things I like about this release. I feel Beige is a really good interior color for this purple Beetle. 

As far as front and rear tampo details are concerned, there's nothing really to talk about. The headlights were given a tampo coating, and the rear was left plain. Similar to how I feel about the Henry J Gasser's rear end, I feel this isn't a huge issue with this Beetle.


Okay, that's everything I was able to get. I still have my finger crossed that I will be able to get my hands on the other one I want. And if not, then that's okay, because I'm happy with the three I was able to get. As usual though, if I find the last one I want, I will make a post about it.

So... do you have a specific favorite from this mix? If you do, go ahead and let me know down in the comments section. Alright, that's all for this post. Until next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting.   

No comments:

Post a Comment