Thursday, June 17, 2021

Looking At: 2021 Hot Wheels Premium Fast And Furious - Fast Stars

Welcome to today's edition of Looking At. Usually, I will try to find all of the diecast models I want at retail stores. However, there are some assortments with models that I have to have in my collection. This is when I'll decide to purchase a pre-order. So, it might have taken some time, but I finally received my Fast Stars pre-order. By now, every collector knows what this assortment has to offer. So this post isn't going to be in-depth like some of my other Looking At post. With that said, let's begin.

Throughout the years, I've heard all manner of hate towards the Fast and Furious franchise. Some want more street racing, while others could care less for the racing. I usually see the latter group respond with "the series was never about street racing." Now, that might very well be true, but I've personally enjoyed all aspects of the various movies. 

Whether or not you like the franchise, there's no denying the fact that it has given us diecast collectors some very cool, and new castings to collect. Castings like the S14, '95 Eclipse, and the '91 Mercedes-Benz G-Class, have all became Hot Wheels castings because of this franchise. And now, three more have been added to that ever growing list. One of the new castings, is the W Motors Lykan Hypersport, and I feel it's star of this assortment. If you think about it, there's a good chance we wouldn't have gotten a 1:64 scale version of this car if this franchise didn't exist. 


The other two castings that are new, are the Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk and the Dodge Charger. Although the Jeep is nice, I want to skip ahead to the Charger. 



This is no ordinary Charger! After I pulled it out of the box, I noticed another one of it's features besides the widebody exterior. For those of you that don't have it yet, this is a mid-engine Charger. This is another great example of a casting that might not have been made if there was no such thing as Fast and Furious. I think we can all agree that this new Charger stands out (in a very good way) from the other Hot Wheels Charger castings.


I do hope these new castings end up being used for other premium sets. It would be a complete wast to not use them. I especially want to see different colors used for the Hypersport, and there's so many things they could do with a mid-engine Charger. The M3 E46 made it's debut in a Fast and Furious set, and it's had two nice releases after that. So fingers crossed.

Besides the new castings, there's also the ones that Hot Wheels already had. So thanks to this franchise, we get to see releases of older castings that are finished in colors that might not have been used. A perfect example of this, is seen with the metallic cyan '92 Ford Mustang from this set. 


Now then, the last car from this set, is Brian's Mitsubishi Eclipse. There are still so many cars from the various movies that have yet to be replicated by Hot Wheels. So this re-release was a little disappointing to see. The only difference between this and the first one, are the wheels.



As you can see, the new one was given ten-spoke wheels, while the older one was given six-spoke wheels. If you were to pull up pictures of this car on Google, you'll see that the car in the movie features seven spoke wheels that look very similar to the Hot Wheels six-spoke wheels. As such, the first release is a little more accurate. At the end of the day, this re-release is good for those of you that missed out on getting Brian's Eclipse the first time.

If I were to score this assortment, I'd give it a solid ten. It has four new replicas, and unlike the recent basic Fast and Furious assortment, it only has one that's a re-release. 

So, how did you feel about this new premium assortment? Go ahead and let me know down in the comments sections. Alright, that's all for this edition of Looking At. Till next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment