Friday, April 16, 2021

My Want List: 2021 Hot Wheels Case F

Alright collectors, welcome to another edition of My Want List. Like the title states, today's edition is all about the completion of my case F want list. This weren't that many releases I wanted from this case, so this will be a one part review. One of the releases from this case, is the re-color of everyone's favorite diecast drift car, and it's obviously the one I wasn't able to find. I might be able to score one at a later date, but only time will tell. If I'm able to find it, I will definitely make a post about it. Anyway, let's get this post started.

Setting the fastest lap time, and speeding off of my want list first, is the 2018 Bentley Continental GT3 that's apart of this year's HW Race Day mainline set. At first, I was a little disappointed with their decision to use green again. And yes, it's a different shade of green than the one that was used for the debut release, but I felt that it was still green nonetheless. Initially, I was hoping we'd get one with an exterior color that hadn't been used yet. However, I ended up accepting this release's exterior color after I did some digging on the internet. 

There's a specific reason as to why this color was chosen, and it has to do with the livery that was applied to this release. Basically, this release's livery is based on the livery that's seen on the green number 7 and number 8 Bentley Speed 8 race cars. The top of this release was also given the design that's seen on the aforementioned cars. 

I'm glad this release features a racing number, however, I can't quite get behind their decision to place the number within a box. The number on the Speed 8's is within a circle. I know this is kind of trivia, but it would have been nice if they made this release as close as possible to the Speed 8's they used as a reference.


Once again, front and rear details were not on the agenda for this casting. I guess this isn't a huge issue since this is a mainline after all.

For this releases wheels, the designers chose to use black 10SPs. The Speed 8's used wheels that are similar to these, so I think it was a great idea to use them.  


Okay... I think this next casting is one we have all been waiting for. Checked off of my want list next, is the brand new Raijin Express that's apart of this year's HW Metro. This is actually not the first Dekotora styled truck from Hot Wheels. I'm sure you all remember the Galactic Express right? Well that was their first attempt at this style of truck. The Super Rigs Galactic Express is why I though we would end up getting a Team Transport version. Well we ended up with a mainline vehicle instead, which is completely fine. 

The Galactic Express is still a cool casting in it's own right, but there's no denying how awesome this mainline casting is. I feel the designers were able to masterfully create very realistic looking 1:64 scale version of one. It has every aspect that one might expect to see on one of these. And I think everyone will like how it's entire body is chrome. I know for a fact that I do, because it's realistic for this style of truck. It's body was also designed with engraving like features. This was done to the roof of the cab and the box's doors.  

Applied to the sides of it's box, is a fantastic artwork that helps to complete it's decorated appearance. The Great Wave, Mount Fuji with the sun behind it, and the multiple cherry blossom branches are what the designers used for the artwork. There are so many designs that could be created for the box section of this truck. As such, I hope the designers take a sip of their coffee, and make us another one with some nice art.

Chrome gold 5SPs are the wheels that were chosen for this first release. In my opinion, using this color of wheel complemented the overall appearance of this release perfectly.


Unless I feel it contributes to the appearance of the model, or my likeness of it, I will usually not make mention of the window piece. However, this time I am because it contributed to my likeness of the model. With that said, I like how the decision was made to give this release a purple window piece.


The next release speeding off of my want list, is the '19 Corvette ZR1 Convertible that's apart of this year's HW Torque. I'm happy with all of the decisions that were made for this second release. So to start, I think this release was finished in an okay color. White is the color that was chosen. This color might not be as exciting as the orange that was used for last year's release, but I think Corvette's look okay in white. Plus, it's exterior color is not the only decision that made this a cool release.

PR5s are the wheels that were chosen for this release. Now to switch things up from the orange one, the designers chose to make these ones have a red rim. At first, I felt that I would have liked it better with all black wheels. But now, I actually don't mind their decision.  


Unlike last year's release, the decision was made to give this second one a design. And no, it's nothing crazy. Black stripes are what they went with, and I like how they weren't just applied to the font half. The stripes were also applied to the back half of this model just behind the interior. They also took the time to add the stripes to the rear end as well. I only wish they could have made the stripes continue down the front bumper.

One of the other things that makes this a cool release, is how it was given the same front and rear details as last year's release. In my opinion, this model would not look complete without these details. But that's just me.


The Big-Air Bel-Air is apart of this year's Baja Blazers mainline set, and it's the next car that got checked off of my want list. I honestly though the second release of this casting wouldn't be as good as the first release. But I can honestly say that it is. So for this year's release, the designers chose to paint it red. And I like how a somewhat bright shade was used. The paint used is cool, but that's not the only thing that makes this second one as good as the first one for me.

Once again, the Hot Wheels designers have showed their ability to create a design that looks like it was replicated from a real vehicle. In my opinion, this casting will always look better with a design. The design itself is pretty simple, as it's basically one white stripe in-between multiple yellow stripes that were applied along the lower half of it's sides. 

Ultimately, it was the decals that helped to make this one just as good. What I like, is how this second release was given the decals of real-life aftermarket companies. That is one of the things that I really liked about the first release.

Once again the BAJA5s are what was chosen for this release, except this time, they are the brown tires with black spokes.


The top of this release was also given the theme from the sides. A total of four yellow stripes start on the hood, and finish on the trunk. In-between them on the roof, is a wide white stripe. The Chevy logo was applied to the front of the hood. Decorating the top of this release was a great idea, and I believe you will feel the same way too.

Cruising off of my want list next, is the re-color of the 2020 Jaguar F-Type. I'm so glad we didn't have to wait till next year's mainline just to get another one of these. I really like how this release was given different wheels. The blue release was given the 10SPs with a chrome finish, while this one was given the TRAP5s with a chrome finish. In my opinion, this decision really helped to make it look like a second release, rather than a re-color.

Now then, I personally still like the first release more due to it's exterior color, but I can say that the color picked for this release is not bad at all. I would best describe this color as being metallic dark grey. Now I'm not entirely sure if this color is based on one that's offered by Jaguar, but I'm sure some of you out there wouldn't mid owning one of these with the color that was used. And I guess if I look past my preferred color choice, I can say that I wouldn't mind owning one with this color either.



The second mainline release of the Mazda RX-3, is the next one that got checked off of my want list. I'm sure we can all agree that it was a good idea to add this casting to the mainline. I feel being in the mainline makes it so we'll see many releases of it. This was something I was worried about when this was a premium only casting. Anyway, this release is simply stellar, and I like all of the details that were applied to it. 

This release is sporting a very cool Mad Mike theme. Initially, I thought the designers created a design based on his cars, but it appears that I was wrong. From what I can gather, this release is actually based on his FD with the Pandem Boss kit. I came to this conclusion based on the placement of the various decals on this release. Furthermore, this release has the Rotiform decal on the hood just like his FD. 

Now due to obvious reasons, there are a few differences between this release, and the car it's based on. Unlike Mike's FD, this release does not feature Red Bull. I actually think the design looks just fine without that sponsor. The tire sponsor is another thing that's different. Instead of Nitto, this release features Toyo Tires.


For this release's wheels, the designers chose to use the DD8s. I'm not quite sure if Rotiform ever made a wheel like these. So I feel they should have used a different wheel. I know the wheels on Mike's FD are deep dish wheels, but based on the spokes, I feel Hot Wheels should have gave this release the lace wheels. 



Flooring it off of my want list last, is the re-color of the the '64 Corvette Sting Ray. Although I'm still not entirely fond of number circle's placement on the sides, I am happy with their decision to release another color of this Corvette. Unlike some re-colors, everything about this one is different from the first one.

For the exterior color, the decision was made to paint it white. Normally, I would have told you that I liked the red one more, but that's not the case this time. Like I mentioned with the ZR1, I think Corvette's look okay in white. Of course, if I was offered a blue one, then that opinion goes straight out the window while doing 101 MPH.

The next color change was done to the number circles. These were changed to black. 

Now instead of just changing the wheel color, the designers chose to use a different wheel entirely. It's nice when this is done because it helps to truly make the release look different. With that said, Lace Wheels are the ones that were picked, and I'm happy with their decision to make them grey. 


So aside from the design, I think this is a really good looking release of this casting. In my opinion, it would be a great addition to any Corvette collection.


Okay everyone, that's everything I wanted from this year's case F. Initially, my list had two other releases besides the AE86. The releases I'm talking about, are the two Porsche re-colors. I don't know about you and your color preferences, but I couldn't bring myself to acquire them. Now if you liked them, go ahead and let me know down in the comments section.

Alright collectors, that's all for this edition of My Want List. Until next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment