Sunday, March 28, 2021

Today on the Boulevard: Matchbox Top Gun Models

Okay collectors, welcome to another edition of Today on the Boulevard. Let me start things off by saying that I've heard of Top Gun, but I never watched the original. And I should probably watch the new movie once it's released. Anyway, today's post isn't really going to be a review. Instead, this post is basically me sharing the Top Gun models from Matchbox that I decided to get.  

I'm sure most of you might have wanted these models because you're a fan of the series, but I had other reasons for getting them. One of the reasons has to do with the models themselves. I know a good model when I see one, and I can honestly say that these Top Gun Matchbox models look great! So there's no way I was going to pass up on the chance to add some cool planes to my collection.

The second reason for wanting them, has to do with the fact that my Dad was in the Navy. I remember the times when I'd hear the loud roar of a hornet in the distance while on base. Once the sound got louder, I knew that one was getting ready to take flight. I would then look up, and watch as the fighter jet went soaring off. So actually getting to see these aircraft in action, played a huge roll in me deciding to collect these.

Now like I said, I've never seen any of the movies. As such, I don't know the exact roll of each plane in the movie. It's also worth noting that I didn't end up getting the whole set, which I know I should have. But I'm perfectly happy with the ones that I got. Matchbox also had a few other Top Gun themed releases, but I just stuck to these.

The first one that I grabbed was the P-51 Mustang. For those of you that aren't new to the BLVD, then you already know how I like classic cars. Well I guess I also should have mentioned that I like the look of classic planes too. So the P-51 was a must.


Since the jets I used to see were Hornets, I was definitely going to add at least one of the ones from this set to the collection.


One of the models from this set is called the Darkstar. I'm actually curious to see what roll this aircraft has in the movie. 




The next one that I got is called the Enemy Strike Jet. Why do the bad guys always get the coolest stuff? I'm not exactly sure if this model is based on any real jet, but what I do know, is that I really like how it looks. And that includes the pattern that's on it too. 

Now Hot Wheels also decided to make a F-14 Tomcat to go along with this movie. The 1:64 scale model itself wasn't bad, but I figured these were much better due to their larger size. So I ultimately decided to pass on getting the Hot Wheels Entertainment model.

Alright collectors, did you decide to get all of the Matchbox Top Gun themed sets? Or did you only get certain ones like I did? Do let me know down in the comments section. Okay, that's all for this edition of Today on the Boulevard. Until next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment