Thursday, March 18, 2021

Looking at: Hot Wheels Pony Rides Box Set

Hello, and welcome to another edition of Looking at. Hot Wheels has started this year off right with a brand new pony car themed box set. And I was actually able to score it on a chance run to a local Walmart. So for today's post, I'm going to briefly talk about each of the models from this set. With that being said, let's get started.

This whole box set is 1:64 Scale GT approved! In other words, I really like this set. The models included are as follows: '70 Dodge Hemi Challenger, '65 Mustang 2+2 Fastback, '70 Camaro, and the Retro rig. Each of the cars were given a racing livery that I'd best describe as being period correct. This is what makes them great models to have. I also like how they don't all feature the exact same decals and wheels. 

I'll be honest, the '70 Camaro is the one that I wanted the most. I do have a few other releases of the casting in my collection, but I didn't have one that featured a true racing theme. That's why I thought about trying to get the 2015 Hot Wheels Heritage release off of the secondary. Although I still kind of want that release, I can actually put getting it on the back burner now that I have the one from this set.

It's pretty much the same story with the '70 Dodge Hemi Challenger. It's a casting that I had a few releases of, but none of them featured a true racing theme. So this was another must for me. The yellow 2010 Mystery cars release is the only one that I have that even comes close to this one. But that one doesn't have any aftermarket decals. 

The Mustang wasn't one of the ones that I absolutely had to have, but I will admit that it's a welcomed addition to my collection. I think it's interesting how the designers chose to make this release similar to the 2019 Target Throwback release of the '65 Mustang. This isn't a bad thing since I like blue, and the blue used for this Mustang is different. The design of the stripe is the biggest similarity. Like the Mustang from 2019, this 2+2 Fastback features a white stripe design with a thinner red stripe placed in the center of it. At the end of the day though, I have no issue with these similarities.   




Now that I talked about the cars, I'm going to switch the focus over to the Retro Rig. After all, collecting these sets isn't just about the cars. For me, it's also about the haulers. I don't know about the rest of the diecast community, but I think this is one rad release of the Retro Rig. It's cab was finished in a beautiful metallic gold, and it was given some cool pin stripe details. The doors of this truck feature a "SOUTH BAY PONY RIDES El Segundo CA" decal. I like when Hot Wheels decides to make non manufacturer specific haulers. Not having the name of a specific manufacturer makes it so the truck can be paired with just about any release. 

The last thing that I want to say about this set, is that I really like it's background. The background appears to depict a race track, but that's not what I like. This might be surprising, but I like all of the scenery around the course. The hill sides, as well as the trees, are picture perfect. And I feel this scenery helped to further make this a beautiful set to own.

So collectors, what are your thoughts on this set's classic racing theme? Feel free to let me know down in the comments section. Alright, that's all for this edition of looking at. Until next time, thanks for reading, and happy collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment