Tuesday, December 1, 2020

My Want List: 2020 Hot Wheels Case Q - Part 2

Alright everyone, welcome to part two of my case Q want list. Like the models featured in part one, these next ones are all great additions. I mean... this case overall was filled with great models. Anyways, you're not here for the small talk right? So let's get going with part two.

This year's mainline gave us some great 1:64 scale replicas of Audi's vehicles. One of them is the awesome 2019 Audi R8 Spyder. As you all know, the debut release was finished in white. Now yes, white is a great color for this model. However, it's not the only color that can make it a cool model to have. That said, I really like how this recolor was finished in gloss red. Let's be honest here, the R8 looks good in just about any color.

I actually like this one slightly more than the first one, and it's color is the only reason why. For those of you that didn't know, this is actually not the first R8 casting from Hot Wheels. Before this casting, they initially had a coupe version that made it's debut in the 2008 New Models. Of the three releases, one was black while another was white. So for me, it's nice to finally have a Hot Wheels R8 model finished in a color other than white or black.

Like most recolors, most of the other aspects are the same as the first release. So basically, this release has the same front and rear details that were applied to the white one. It was also given the same wheels, except this time they were finished in chrome.



The next vehicle checked off of my want list, is the recolor of the Corvette C7 ZO6. Like the R8, the first one for this year was white. This second one is much better, since the Hot Wheels designers chose to make it orange. And personally, I'd say this model's exterior was given Sebring orange. The debut release of this casting was finished in yellow. Initially, I thought that release would be my number one favorite. That's no longer the case now that we have this orange one. Of course I still very much like the yellow one, but this orange one is now right up there with it.  

For those of you that like to open your models, then this release will most likely look fantastic sitting next to the Sebring orange ZR1 that was released earlier this year. It's cool when Hot Wheels decides to give us multiple vehicles from a manufacturer that match. Another example of this is seen with the two white premium Nissan Silvias.

Like the R8, this too has the same front and rear details as it's first release. It was also given the same wheels as well. Unlike the R8 however, these ones did not get a color change. Orange with back wheels is a combination that makes this and it's real-life counterpart look fantastic in my opinion. As such, the choice to leave the wheels black is absolutely fine by me.



The third one for this second part, is a recolor of the 2010 Chevy impala. This is one recolor that I definitely like. It's exterior was finished in matte white. By now, I'm sure you all know how I feel about Hot Wheels releases with these paint finishes. But there's also another reason why I like it. 

The first one was finished in blue, which is fine since it is apart of this year's HW Race Team mainline set. The thing is, this casting was already released with a blue finish and a HW Race Team styled design. The release I'm referring to, is the debut model that was honoring Danica Patrick. Now yes, the blue that was used for that one is a different shade, but it still blue nonetheless. So it's nice to have one of these with a Race Team design that's not blue.

This release's design also received a color change. What I like, is how the decision was made to utilize black for some of it's aspects. Black, red, yellow, and orange were a fantastic mix of colors for this design. And in my opinion, the combination looks great over matte white.

This wheels given to this recolor are the same as the blue one, but this time they were finished in grey. This is another aspect that makes me like this one more than the blue one. Yellow was utilized for the wheels featured on the Danica Patrick one, as well as this year's blue Race Team one. So basically, I like the fact that this Race Team one has wheels that utilize a different color.


Aside from all of the great looking street models, this year's mainline also gave us some cool off-road themed releases. One of the most prominent ones for me, is the Big-Air Bel-Air. I had never even considered the possibility of this vehicle being set up for off-road racing. And I really like how this model came out. So the next model checked off of my want list, is the recolor of the Big-Air Bel-Air. It's nice to see that it got a second color release.

For this recolor, the decision was made to once again use a matte finish. This time, it's white. For me, this decision was great because it allowed the designers to create a more lively release. With the first one, it's sides featured a silver tampo that was basically this car's side molding. On this release however, the decision was made to make this aspect red. This gave it the appearance of being a stripe instead of chrome molding. The main stripe design on this release is now blue. This is what I meant by a more lively release. The combination of blue, red, and white makes this model look really good.

Recolors will sometimes have a few details that are changed. A perfect example of this, is seen with this year's Batcopter. On that model's recolor, the stripe on the front end was replaced with the Bat symbol. Thankfully, this isn't the case with this recolor. All of the additional details featured on it, are some of what I liked about the debut release. The details I'm referring to are all of the real-life sponsor decals. 

Contributing to the lively appearance of this release, is the interior color. The first one had black seats, while this recolor was given red seats.  

This release is sporting the same wheels as the first one, which is fine since the BAJA5s look great on this model. The wheel color is the only thing that's different. Instead of being all grey, they are now black with a red outer rim. This wheel color choice honestly doesn't look too bad, and it also contributed to this being a lively release.


The last vehicle for part two, is the recolor of the 2019 Kia Stinger GT. This release's first color was blue, which as you know, is my favorite color. But that doesn't mean I will only like that one. This one's exterior was finish in a grey that I believe is based on one of Kia's colors. If I'm right, then this model features Kia's Ceramic silver. As I mentioned with the A-Class in part one, realistic paints like this, are one of the many aspects that I feel adds realism to these little cars.

Like the first release, this one is also sporting the Hot Wheels Y5s with a grey finish. For me, these are the closest wheels to the real-life counterpart's wheels. As such, I have no issue with them being used again. Now me personally, I would have chose to make this recolor have black wheels instead. Grey cars with black wheels, are like blue cars with gold wheels. The color scheme just works. But I suppose there's nothing wrong with them being grey.



Okay readers, that's all for part two of my case Q want list. Be sure to stay tuned for the third and final part. Like always, if you have a opinion on any of these models, feel free to let me know down in the comments. Until part three, thanks for reading and happy collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment