Monday, November 30, 2020

My Want List: 2020 Hot Wheels Case Q - Part 1

Why hello there diecast collectors! Welcome to another edition of My Want List. On this edition, I'm going to be featuring the vehicles I wanted from this year's last Hot Wheels mainline assortment. I can't believe we're already at the final case for the year. Time sure has flown by. And I can honestly say this was another great year for mainline collectors. Overall, this year's mainline gave us some wonderful new castings, as well as some older castings like the '49 Merc that aren't used as much. And this final case features some great models as well. In total, this review is going to be three parts. With that said, let's get on with part one. 

The first vehicle off of my want list, is the brand new 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500. I love Ford's styling for this car. The front end is my favorite thing about it. In my opinion, it makes the car look very aggressive. And I'm delighted to see that Hot Wheels was able to give us a decent looking 1:64 scale replica of it. 

The casting itself has multiple design aspects that make it a decent model to have. For starters, it was designed with side rear view mirrors. This is one aspect that is making these little cars more realistic. The next aspect has to do with the hood vents. What I like, is how the vents are a separate piece from the body. This is a much better casting design than having the vents be apart of the body. It also makes it so there is no need to make them look realistic with a black tampo coating, which can sometimes have alignment issues I might add.

There are many different preferences when it comes to a cars exterior and stripe color scheme. Most of them are great, but blue with white stripes is the one that I like the most. And that's what they went with for this release. I especially like the shade of metallic blue that was used.

Sadly, this model was not given any front or rear tampo details. These details would have added a little more realism to this model. 

Now this model's real-life counterpart uses seven spoke wheels. This re-creation on the other hand, was given the Hot Wheels ten spoke wheels. I really wish the seven spoke wheels were used, as that would have given us a near perfect replica.




The second vehicle that I wanted from this case, is the brand new 2018 Bentley Continental GT3. It's nice to finally see a Bentley race car as a Hot Wheels casting. And I feel they did a marvelous job re-creating it in 1:64 scale. Like the GT500, this is another new casting that was designed with side rear view mirrors. Some of you might think it's a trivial aspect, but for me, it's one that can make a huge difference.

Overall, this debuting release's appearance appears to be based on an actual green Continental GT3 race car. Now since I haven't seen this model's real-life counterpart, I'm not entirely sure if the color used for this release is an exact match. But from the pictures I'm seeing, it's close enough.

The design in my opinion came out great, but there is one aspect of it that appears to be a Hot Wheels idea. And that aspect is the racing number circle with the number 8. One of the pictures that I found, showed the real car with a number box and the number 7 instead. I have no issue with this detail change, as it's not important enough to overshadow everything else that I like.

It wasn't just the sides of this release that got details. The top of this model also received the design as well. And that includes the racing number too. Additionally, "Bentley" was applied to the top of the wing. These are some awesome details, and they helped to make the model look complete. These details also help to overshadow the fact that none were applied to the front and rear ends of this model.

Finishing this model off nicely, are the Hot Wheels Y5 wheels. These wheels look fantastic on this model. I also found a picture of this model's real-life counterpart with wheels that looked somewhat similar to these. So I feel that it was a great choice to use them.




Up next, is the recolor of the '19 Mercedes-Benz A-Class. At first, I was perfectly happy with the red one that was released earlier this year. But now, I like this recolor more. For those of you that have been here before, then you'd know that matte finishes are one of the many aspects that I like about Hot Wheels and Matchbox models. That said, I really like how this model was finished in matte grey. 

Now here's where it gets even better! This paint appears to be based on an actual one that's offered by Mercedes-Benz. The color is called Designo Mountain Grey Magno. Realistic paints like this, are one of the many aspects that I feel adds realism to these little cars. Just think, if you recently bought a real version of this car with the aforementioned grey, then you could now own a toy version of it. Cool right? I think so.

This release still has the same details as the red one. Even the license plate is the same. So there's nothing to really cover, which is usually the case with Hot Wheels recolors.

Unlike the red release that was given all black ten spoke wheels, this one was given the MC5 wheels with a chrome outer rim. These wheels are okay, but based on what I'm seeing, the best wheels for this casting are either the ten spokes or one of the two split five spoke wheels. The two I'm referring to, are the J5s and PR5s.



The next car that got checked off of my want list, is the '64 Chevy Chevelle SS. As you all know, this release also has a Super Treasure Hunt version. And as usual, that version was not on my want list. I can honestly say that I love seeing this casting in the mainline. There's nothing like a supercharged muscle car casting with a visible supercharger.

Now this ones exterior color, which is a very nice matte blue, is the main thing that I like about it. At first, I was on the fence about them giving this release Magnus Walker's Urban Outlaw theme. But now that I have this model, I actually have no problem with it. In terms of a design, nothing too crazy was applied. The designers chose to keep things simple by simply adding a few of the Urban Outlaw logos. Nothing was applied to the top of this model, which is fine by me.

The wheels chosen for this release, are the Hot Wheels 5SPs with a grey finish. I don't see a issue with these, especially since they were given a subtle color. Now I might have had a issue if they were finished in a bright color like red. Grey, chrome, and black are the only wheel colors that I feel will work with this release's theme. Of course, this is solely just my opinion. And for all I know, you the reader might like the way this release looks with gold wheels.


Okay readers, that's all for part one of my case Q want list. Be sure to stay tuned for part two and three. Until then, happy collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment